This was not a draft for the casual fan

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The supreme truth from the 50,000-watt generator of adequate thought in Farmers Branch, where book learning is usually respected and strangers are given bus tickets out. Junior high recitals today followed by Eddie's Car Talk.

It was a slam dunk that Jerra and Wade would take a WR or a safety or even a cornerback in the first two rounds.

For fans who wanted the sexy, blue-chip first-day draft,k results were disappointing.

And in typical Jerra fashion, he went for a DE.

But the more one looks at this draft the more it makes sense.

Immediate help with a rushing lineman/linebacker hybrid and an OL who can bulldoze at guard or tackle.

And though it will be an excruciating wait for Cleveland's No. 1 in 2008, Jerra has forcefed a better tomorrow for the Cowboys and their fans.

He is clearly taking the building block approach and being patient about the team he dreams for.
And that is a triple threat offense with receivers, running backs and QB who can run when needed.

He is building a steel fence at linebacker and opportunistic playing by Canty and Spears will improve when Wade fully develops them.

Not a good day for the casual fan but a great day for the Cowboys future.

Now, about Sunday. We desperately need a diamond in the rough players for the secondary and WR.:D

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin

adamknite

Reaction score
I agree. I at first didn't like the pick of Spencer. However it has been growing on me, I'm still not in love with it, but I hope it turns out well.

I love the trading back and getting Cleveland's first next year, great move! Miami was already my second favorite team, now I love them for bypassing Quinn even more.

sago1

Reaction score
The long draft day/our inability use our 53rd pick to add a quality player of need probably contributed to a sense of dissatisfaction at the results by the end of the first day.

Hopefully Spencer is the OLB opposite Ware that we desperately need--like Shaun Phillips was to Merriman. Really interesting that both Shaun Phillips & Spencer come from the same pro-style play at Purdue so we've certainly got cause to be very optimistic. Don't forget Shaun Phillips was drafted in the 4th round by the Chargers in Wade Phillips first year as DC.

In the 3rd round I'd have preferred OT Doug Free over James Marten but admitt I didn't know Marten could also play OG and his profile also stated he could play center if he'd devote enough time to it. It's entirely possible he satisfies our OL needs and we don't need Ramierez/Beekman & that this even resolves need for backup OC--although would prefer addition of Beekman but doubt he will be there for our 2nd 4th round pick.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;1477058 said:
The long draft day/our inability use our 53rd pick to add a quality player of need probably contributed to a sense of dissatisfaction at the results by the end of the first day.

Hopefully Spencer is the OLB opposite Ware that we desperately need--like Shaun Phillips was to Merriman. Really interesting that both Shaun Phillips & Spencer come from the same pro-style play at Purdue so we've certainly got cause to be very optimistic. Don't forget Shaun Phillips was drafted in the 4th round by the Chargers in Wade Phillips first year as DC.

In the 3rd round I'd have preferred OT Doug Free over James Marten but admitt I didn't know Marten could also play OG and his profile also stated he could play center if he'd devote enough time to it. It's entirely possible he satisfies our OL needs and we don't need Ramierez/Beekman & that this even resolves need for backup OC--although would prefer addition of Beekman but doubt he will be there for our 2nd 4th round pick.

Yep. There is more..

- Passing on Blue Chip QB
- Drafting another DE/OLB? when we already have Ware, Carp, and Ellis
- Passing on all the Blue Chip DBs
- No 2nd round picks?

This tells me they are happy with Henry and A Glenn [two of the biggest problems last season in the secondary]

We gotta see something today.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
eduncan22;1477213 said:
This tells me they are happy with Henry and A Glenn [two of the biggest problems last season in the secondary]

It took you this long to figure that out?

fortdick

Reaction score
eduncan22;1477213 said:
Yep. There is more..

- No 2nd round picks?

Maybe Wade convinced Jerruh that the secondary problems were related to a lack of pass rush. With more pressure, the players we have can get the job done. I dunno. I don't think our corners were the problem. Hamlin can settle in or at least fill in until Watkins is schooled up.

Marten is a good pick in that he satisfies all the OLine needs without having to add another backup to the roster. A roster, I might add, that doesn't have a lot of room.

I wonder about Proctor's future.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
eduncan22;1477213 said:
Yep. There is more..

- No 2nd round picks?

:damn:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1477007 said:
The supreme truth from the 50,000-watt generator of adequate thought in Farmers Branch, where book learning is usually respected and strangers are given bus tickets out. Junior high recitals today followed by Eddie's Car Talk.

It was a slam dunk that Jerra and Wade would take a WR or a safety or even a cornerback in the first two rounds.

For fans who wanted the sexy, blue-chip first-day draft,k results were disappointing.

And in typical Jerra fashion, he went for a DE.

But the more one looks at this draft the more it makes sense.

Immediate help with a rushing lineman/linebacker hybrid and an OL who can bulldoze at guard or tackle.

And though it will be an excruciating wait for Cleveland's No. 1 in 2008, Jerra has forcefed a better tomorrow for the Cowboys and their fans.

He is clearly taking the building block approach and being patient about the team he dreams for.
And that is a triple threat offense with receivers, running backs and QB who can run when needed.

He is building a steel fence at linebacker and opportunistic playing by Canty and Spears will improve when Wade fully develops them.

Not a good day for the casual fan but a great day for the Cowboys future.

Now, about Sunday. We desperately need a diamond in the rough players for the secondary and WR.:D

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin
When I tuned into the 50,000 watt blowtorch this morning I didn't expect this great insight.

Great post from the golden microphone today.

:wink2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1477268 said:
Don't forget our HOG HEAVEN pick next year.
Sing it loud and proud CC.

Soooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Maybe we had one of our starting corners playing through an injury a good portion of the year.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
eduncan22;1477213 said:
Yep. There is more..

Per The Huddle Report:

[Hey, $9.95/year is a good investment. You should try it.]

Our highest draft needs (especially on Day 1) were: WR, OG & CB. Need at OG had been minimized somewhat with the acquisition of Leonard Davis. We had zero need at QB. It's a luxury pick, not a need pick.

Let's be honest. There were only two quarterbacks in this draft worthy of a Day 1 pick from this franchise: Russell & Quinn. Russell was long gone. Quinn WAS available.

Now, be real. Pretend YOU were a general manager with a low priority grade at quarterback, holding a #22 pick and a team with a HIGH priority grade at quarterback approaches you with a trade with: (a) a high second round pick this draft & (b) a first round pick the following year.

Do YOU accept that trade under the circumstances?

Moving on, now we're sitting at #36. Jones had (obviously) zero intentions of standing out of the first round. Already gone are Johnson, Ginn and you can't package a deal with the Chiefs (#23) or the Patriots (#24) [maybe YOU can/please explain HOW if YOU think so/what would YOU offer?] thus watching Bowe be taken off the board. Three high grade WRs are gone by #22, with Meacham and Jarrett (generally perceived first rounders) still available.

Understandably, Grubbs and Ugoh are dropping in the draft. After all, they are g-u-a-r-d-s and not highly touted ones at that.

Revis, Hall and Ross are gone by #22. And over-rated Combine warrior, Houston, has been bypassed by teams with high CB needs and is falling down the charts out of the first round. Wright, which no team is willing to touch with Goodell looking over their shoulder, is dropping like a hot rock. While some of us are willing to overlook the potential suspension or expulsion issue with Wright, most teams (and fans) do not and he's falling hard out of the first.

Note: Carolina is even more firmly entrenched at #25 after making an earlier trade with the Jets. That leaves the Eagles, who's priorities going into the draft were DT, LB, S and notWR (Meacham/the only realistic need target remaining in the first round) and interestingly enough, DE... which takes us to YOUR next point...
eduncan22;1477213 said:
I love Ellis. Always have, but can you tell me when has Ellis ever been a speed rushing defensive end/linebacker? He never has been, you know. Add the fact that he is a front seven defensive player recovering from a serious injury which directly affects his speed (hint! hint!) and mobility and you're going to have to (well, most people that is) consider that he may be more of a liability than an asset to your 3-4 defense.

That leaves Carpenter and Ware. Carpenter is versatile. James is not (as much as I may hate to admit it). Carpenter can play inside and outside. James can (questionably) play inside, but not outside. If the need arises, Carpenter and Akoyele (sp?) can man the inside, right? If you agree, you now have a gaping HOLE at OLB, right? Factor in Ware, who demands double, and sometimes triple, teams. Question: where is your defensive front seven pressure coming from? Well, you could say "up the middle", but can you say that it's coming opposite of Ware?

Oh, I forgot. You're hinging everything on Ellis. Silly me. :rolleyes: Back to the draft...

Jones packages a deal with Philadelphia, moves back into the first round at #26. He has a choice:

Meacham. Or a guy who can fill a huge GAPING hole in his defensive front seven.

He has two older guys, Glenn and Owens, who had solid seasons, and Crayton as his top three receivers. Does a fear of injury to any of his WRs outweigh filling a huge GAPING hole in his defensive front seven?

Answer: hell no. You pick the highest rated/first round grade DE remaining on the board to fill the huge GAPING hole. Adams is long gone. Add Anderson, Carriker and Moss. Who's left?

Spencer, that's who. And since this isn't fantasy football, we end up not picking Quinn.

That's great general managing, imo.
eduncan22;1477213 said:
I've already explained how Revis, Hall and Ross were gone by #22. Yes, CB was a primary need going into the draft, but do you trade UP to get CBs that were FALLING to you?

Peterson? Sure. Calvin Johnson? Sure, but were talking CB, right? CB? Nope, thank goodness. What would YOU have packaged to move up? Would the value of your package outweigh the fact that the secondary, which you're wishing to upgrade, was vulnerable to a passive defensive scheme which was degraded moreso by injury? Are the clips of Henry, which you posted recently, your proof behind a move up for Revis, Hall or Ross? If so, Ellis isn't the only person around here without a leg to stand on.

Houston and Wright were the only DBs left at #22. We left #22 and fell to #36. We had no intention of staying at #36, but if we had, guess what? Houston and Wright were there, right? Why? Why did they fall solidly OUT of the first round?

Would THAT question overrule the need to trade BACK into the first for either a first-round WR or DE? C'mon, Mr. GM. Give me something here. The remaining blue chip DBs were falling like hot rocks and let's be honest. Only Cleveland was the only team willing to gamble on Wright before the end of the second round if you have been paying attention to current events. Hint: Adam Jones. Hint: Chris Henry. Your desire for Wright was only superseded by that of Cleveland. Your blue chip pick was from a minority viewpoint in the NFL--which doesn't stand for "National Fantasy League".
eduncan22;1477213 said:
- No 2nd round picks?
We HAD second round picks. We USED them in packages for (a) top DE and (b) a projected solid offensive lineman. We didn't use the #36 or #53 picks on Wright, who Goodell might end up throwing out the League if he messes up again. What value would the "second round picks" be then?
eduncan22;1477213 said:
It tells me they believe that more pressure on the QB = more hurries = more QB miscues = more turnovers for our present CBs to take advantage of.

Well, whaddaya know? We drafted Spencer to apply QB pressure opposite of Ware.

Let's make a deal. If Ware and Spencer are on the field, and you don't see 'improvement' from Glenn and Henry, record new clips and post them on the forum. You'll have plenty to crow about then, but with a more aggressive pass rush scheme being installed, along with Ware and Spencer demanding one-on-one protection...

...I doubt that you'll have many clips to post, but that's just me, I guess.

eduncan22;1477213 said:
We already have. You griped afterwards. What are the odds that you'll gripe later today if we make the same type of moves as yesterday? I say that the odds are PRETTY high. :)

Rockytop6

Reaction score
eduncan22;1477213 said:
Yep. There is more..

- No 2nd round picks?

Yep, this is not a draft for the casual fan or IMO for the diehard fan either.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Rockytop6;1477750 said:
Yep, this is not a draft for the casual fan or IMO for the diehard fan either.

Or the blind and dumb as a ******** monkey fan either.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Drafting another DE/OLB? when we already have Ware, Carp, and Ellis
If Greg Ellis were going to be 25 at week 1 instead of 32, i'd have complete confidence that he'll be his old self coming off the achilles. You need the contingency plan. I won't believe Ellis will be completely back until we see him.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
I wished we could pull a quality safty but between our pass rusher and ol pick we seem to have gotten quality for the round. I even like the first 4th rounder although it may be the biggest gamble yet it feels good to me.