This was your preview of Life without Romo

rcaldw

Reaction score
Was Derrick Lassic our preview of life without Emmitt? No. He was called an inadequate backup. That is what you saw yesterday. A slow footed, slow decision making, backup.

dfense

Reaction score
You can look at every personnel guy and point to missed picks and you can say the same thing about Jerry and Manziel this year but the right call was made at the end of the day. But you have to look at that era as a whole. BP rebuilt the team from the ground up and made it competitive again. No easy task after three straight 5 and 11 seasons.

As a motivator Parcells is very good. As a talent evaluator/ grocery selector. He failed on almost every Olineman he picked James Martin, Rob Pettiti. Just look at his #1 picks Felix Jones #1 Mike Jenkins #1 Bobby Carpenter #1 ? He was overruled on Merriman, luckily.

chicago JK

Reaction score
As a motivator Parcells is very good. As a talent evaluator/ grocery selector. He failed on almost every Olineman he picked James Martin, Rob Pettiti. Just look at his #1 picks Felix Jones #1 Mike Jenkins #1 Bobby Carpenter #1 ? He was overruled on Merriman, luckily.

There is no doubt Parcells had misses, although everyone does. It is important to look at the full results, not just the missed picks. Btw, Jenkins and Felix were post Parcells.

Just the development of romo was huge. I doubt if Parcells was not here that he would have been developed properly or even kept on the roster. Also while Parcells missed on several lineman in the draft, he did find Colombo off the trash heap and gave him a redshirt here. Colombo has several solid seasons. Not elite but a solid pro.

erod

Reaction score
Who are these non 1st QBs that you speak of? Already listed Romo, Brady, and Brees. Austin Davis, Foles, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Hoyer, and Kaep...you want to go that route? Manning, Rodgers, Cutler, Luck, Rivers, Stafford, Roeths, etc. Which group looks more talented? You want a good QB, you have to have the stones to take a chance @ a bust. We lucked out into Romo, as did NE/NO; but where did this mantra come from that they are found later? JJ?:D

Just look at the year Romo was an undrafted rookie.

First rounders included Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, and Rex Grossman. The rest drafted that year were Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, Seneca Wallace, Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Kliff Kingsbury, Ken Dorsey, Gibran Hamden, and Brooks Bollinger.

Look at the past four years of first rounders: Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Manuel, Bortles, Manziel, and Bridgewater. In my opinion, that's 1 out of 12. Bortles may make it 2. Slim hope for Tannehill. and Bridgewater Newton is a bust in my mind.

Reactions: Coy

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Just look at the year Romo was an undrafted rookie.

First rounders included Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, and Rex Grossman. The rest drafted that year were Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, Seneca Wallace, Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Kliff Kingsbury, Ken Dorsey, Gibran Hamden, and Brooks Bollinger.

Look at the past four years of first rounders: Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Manuel, Bortles, Manziel, and Bridgewater. In my opinion, that's 1 out of 12. Bortles may make it 2. Slim hope for Tannehill. and Bridgewater Newton is a bust in my mind.

I think we both dodged each other to make a point;):D The results still show that 1st rd QBs are the ones with the most success (in comparison). Have they been busting along the way? hell yeah.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
So if Weeden was so awful yesterday & I guess it was all game bad why didn't the coaches take him out 3rd quarter & let the other guy play?

wileedog

Reaction score

Parcells' last draft was 2006. Marten, Felix and Jenkins were Wade picks (and supposedly Garrett lobbied for Felix).

Parcells did have plenty of high level misses, but what he did MUCH better than the current crew was hit on 2nd day picks and UDFAs. The bottom third of the roster was churned constantly and depth was never the issue with his teams they are with Garrett's.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
So if no Romo then Weeden type QB would be our only option? There is life after Romo, we just have to prepare properly or that life after Romo will be a Weeden type. So far we haven't prepared at all.

Once again you are assuming just because we have a plan and prepare properly it will be successful. As I've been saying for the 500th time there is zero guarentee we get a good to great QB after Romo and chances are slim we even do.

There are maybe 12 QBs in the league that can play at a consistently high level And if you think our mediocrity is due to Romo and not the front office you are in for a cold slap in the face. Some find 8-8 disgusting, I find it a miracle.

I hope Im wrong and we find a Brady or even a Rivers or Flacco in the draft but would you bet a years salary on a crapshoot? I didn't think so.

You better enjoy and remember every last second of the final chapter of Tony Romo because you might be waiting as long as Dez was waiting for a decent pass from Weeden -

Get the connection?

perrykemp

Reaction score
Petty has good size and doesn't throw a lot of INTs, but he isn't particularly accurate.

If we're drafting a project, I like Kevin Hogan or Taysom Hill. If we' absolutely have to take a QB in round one, I'll take Connor Cook at #32. :D

Petty is a UDFA type. He is throwing at a 54% completion percentage in college. A NFL QB can improve in many areas when they get to the NFL, however, accuracy isn't typically one of those things.

54% isn't good enough for the NFL where 63-65% is becoming the norm for good QBs.

Dodger12

Reaction score

You're wrong on a lot of levels not the least of which is Jones and Jenkins. Garrett had more to do with those picks but I doubt you'd be remotely critical of him...just saying. Adams was as good as gone when BP got here but he talked Jerry into keeping him (LT's don't grow on trees). He brought over Colombo who became a solid RT, rejuvenated Gurode, albeit at center after trying him at guard, brought in Kosier and Marco Rivera who had to retire due to back issues. Look at what BP did as a whole with the roster, not the least of which is developing a franchise QB, and anyone that can't see what he did here is just fooling himself.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Ah, what the heck…let's NEVER draft a QB again.

So many busts, so what's the point? Let's never take a chance again.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Once again you are assuming just because we have a plan and prepare properly it will be successful. As I've been saying for the 500th time there is zero guarentee we get a good to great QB after Romo and chances are slim we even do.

I get that but it is not impossible. Also, what have we done to plan for it?

And if you think our mediocrity is due to Romo and not the front office you are in for a cold slap in the face..

It is 100% because of our front office making moves like overpaying vets who aren't work it.

You better enjoy and remember every last second of the final chapter of Tony Romo.

No, I'm not obsessed with Romo. I'm ready to move on from him. He isn't going to lead this team anywhere either. Don't act like he hasn't melted down when we have needed him most. Heck, he looked clueless versus the 2-5 Commanders just 2 weeks ago. It's not easy to find a good QB, and I have no faith in this front office either but eventually, you have to move on. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. The Cowboy's could get lucky at QB.

Our team is still full of holes everywhere though. So we are going to suck for quite some time as long as Jerry is in control.

Red Dragon

Reaction score

Felix and Jenkins were taken in 2008. Parcells was gone before the 2007 season.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Never will understand the gratification that some guys get from starting threads like these. I can picture them in a Romo jersey watching the game Sunday cheering for the Cardinals to "show us once and for all how life will be like without Tony."

Same guys who were quick to jump on here after the week 17 game last year when Orton tried to get us into the playoffs. Us losing that game was a small victory for some of the posters on here.

When the day comes, you should retire from the Cowboys along with Romo. Makes me sick.

Ender

Reaction score
I dont think this has to be a preview of the Cowboys after Romo. It's only a preview if the team fails to actively draft and develop young QB's over the next couple season.

dfense

Reaction score
You're wrong on a lot of levels not the least of which is Jones and Jenkins. Garrett had more to do with those picks but I doubt you'd be remotely critical of him...just saying. Adams was as good as gone when BP got here but he talked Jerry into keeping him (LT's don't grow on trees). He brought over Colombo who became a solid RT, rejuvenated Gurode, albeit at center after trying him at guard, brought in Kosier and Marco Rivera who had to retire due to back issues. Look at what BP did as a whole with the roster, not the least of which is developing a franchise QB, and anyone that can't see what he did here is just fooling himself.

I had the Felix and Jenkins off a year. Regardless, he came in to a team that sucked bad. He had one good draft to switch to the 3-4, which coincidentally screwed this defense. His passive version of the 3-4 was never in the top 10. Like I said, great motivator. But he couldn't pick his nose, much less talent. Then of course, he abruptly quits on the team.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Was Derrick Lassic our preview of life without Emmitt? No. He was called an inadequate backup. That is what you saw yesterday. A slow footed, slow decision making, backup.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I am having flashbacks to life after Troy, and I am not confident in this front office to get it right.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

There are maybe 12 QBs in the league that can play at a consistently high level And if you think our mediocrity is due to Romo and not the front office you are in for a cold slap in the face. Some find 8-8 disgusting, I find it a miracle.

I hope Im wrong and we find a Brady or even a Rivers or Flacco in the draft but would you bet a years salary on a crapshoot? I didn't think so.

You better enjoy and remember every last second of the final chapter of Tony Romo because you might be waiting as long as Dez was waiting for a decent pass from Weeden -

Get the connection?

Awesome post !!!!!!!!!!!!!