This was your preview of Life without Romo

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Jerry loves him some former first round Qb's. Anybody remember the Ryan Leaf days? He must not have learned his lesson on other team's garbage.

Put Drew Henson on that list as well. I don't know whats up with Jerry and these failed QBs.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
No, this was a preview of life with a back up called Weeden, Dallas will need to address the starting QB position sooner rather than later with all of Romo's recent string of back injuries.

We know Romo probably has two years left IF he can stay healthy but they will need to address the position with more than cast off to avoid the "preview" status of which you speak once Romo is done.

DiResta

Reaction score
You can talk all you want about building the trenches and that's fine and correct. But in today's NFL, if you do not have a QB that can play you have NO chance to win. That's just the way it is. If you do not agree with this then I don't know what sport you have been watching. Romo is 34 so they better get cooking on finding his successor and quickly. He ain't getting any younger and his back will be an issue for the rest of his career. In the short term Jerry did an awful job solving the Orton problem. Weeden ain't the answer. So I'm sure not confident in Jerry & Son to find a long term solution either.
and if you draft a franchise qb and put him behind a garbage line with no skill players to support or a defense that can get off the field you will waste his ability or worse end up like Sam Bradford injured and maybe low confidence. you have to be able to keep him upright or what good does it do?
I do see the need for a young qb to bring along. now the offense is pretty much complete. it could be better and worse. the defense is as bad as the offense line used to be. there are no guarantees you will get the pick right, look at the game they just played they showed a stat for about a dozen quarterbacks taken the year Palmer was drafted. hes the only one playing in the nfl.

for all we know, Vaughn could be that guy. or maybe not. apparently they saw something in him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Yes the terrible life after Romo, because the Romo regime half been so successful as far as playoff wins.
Mediocrity is not my idea of success.:mad: Maybe when we draft smart for a QB we can get back to the playoffs and actually win more than one lousy playoff win than we had with Tony "The Good Life" Romo.

Lazyking

Reaction score
Future without Romo is only as bleak as the FO wants to make it. With all of Romo's health issues, they need to think of what to do at the position now so that we don't have a bum playing for us when Romo is forced to retire.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
It's always tough to win consistently when you're transitioning from a decent QB to a rookie/unknown. I do agree with you that a suitable replacement must be brought it next year. There's just no way Romo can continue for several more years.
How many complete seasons has he played the last 5 years?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Weeden was horrible everywhere he's been. I remember reading practice tweets which resulted in Weeden throwing INTs. In preseason, he looked like crap. His ball placement wasn't there.

How they did not see this is beyond me.

Well we got the same results from Brad Johnson as our backup, so if they didn't see it from him, then I'm not surprised they didn't see it from Weeden either.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
You don't need to spend a 1st round pick. QBs fall almost every draft. Pick one in the 3rd/4th round.

Romo will play another 2-3 years. That pick develops and makes starts when neccessary.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
and if you draft a franchise qb and put him behind a garbage line with no skill players to support or a defense that can get off the field you will waste his ability or worse end up like Sam Bradford injured and maybe low confidence. you have to be able to keep him upright or what good does it do?
I do see the need for a young qb to bring along. now the offense is pretty much complete. it could be better and worse. the defense is as bad as the offense line used to be. there are no guarantees you will get the pick right, look at the game they just played they showed a stat for about a dozen quarterbacks taken the year Palmer was drafted. hes the only one playing in the nfl.

for all we know, Vaughn could be that guy. or maybe not. apparently they saw something in him.

I think we have the OL and skill positions to support a talented young QB and while there are no guarantees, the higher you draft a player the more chance you'll have success with him.

You can point out all the first round QB busts, but I'd bet there are a great many more busts from the 2nd, 3rd etc.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That AZ game was a view of life without a suitable replacement for Romo. It's not like Romo can't be replaced. As much as I respect his presence, a capable guy to take his place would surely constitute a quantum leap difference from anything someone like Weeden has to offer. I couldn't imagine keeping him indefinitely.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We may not agree on what round, but I think all agree it's time to draft a QB. I don't want the developmental guys, give me a blue chip guy who can step in the next time Tony goes down. Franchise Dez and use him to move up the board.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Interesting stat:

Weeden's cumulative QB rating before joining the Cowboys: 71.8 His QB rating for the Cowboys 71.7.

For those like myself who miss Kyle Orton (I know there aren't many), his QB rating in Buffalo is 104.0, 9 TD 3 Interceptions.

We can thank the garbage time passes for the 71 QB rating. He was in the 30's before that. He was putrid.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Put Drew Henson on that list as well. I don't know whats up with Jerry and these failed QBs.

I hate Jerry the GM as much as the next guy, but taking a shot at Henson for a 3rd rounder was a good move, especially for a team looking for a long term answer at QB. If Henson hadn't left football to play baseball, he might have been the #1 overall pick. But being away from the game for so long was just too much to overcome.