Thompson received a pretty healthy signing bonus for a no-name player

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. Yeah. The dead money is not really the issue. Dead money is bad. I'm not saying otherwise.

What I AM saying is that TWills money is gone, one way or the other so that is a sunk cost. So is Thompson's signing bonus. Both get paid/were paid either way.

So the real cost and real cap implications of cutting TWill and keeping Thompson is whatever the amount of Thompson's base salary is for this year which is less than a million if I remember correctly.

If they want to keep Thompson the money will probably not get in the way. If they keep TWill rather than Thompson it will probably be because of performance rather than a money decision.

If they want to get rid of Thompson, the money won't get in the way.

That's not something I'm hoping for or advocating, but $1 million in a signing bonus isn't enough money to influence a team's decision. But I think Thompson's status with the team comes down to him getting healthy and staying that way. If he does, I think he's on this team. If he doesn't, he's not.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Dez seemed to catch a few difficult balls too occasionally and now he's gone. What else do you have?
Dez dropped far too many balls to entertain that as a comparable. IF Rico gets onto the field and he starts dropping balls and then makes circus catches, then he would be like Dez. Right now, he hasn't even played in a real game yet.

Verdict

Reaction score
If they want to get rid of Thompson, the money won't get in the way.

That's not something I'm hoping for or advocating, but $1 million in a signing bonus isn't enough money to influence a team's decision. But I think Thompson's status with the team comes down to him getting healthy and staying that way. If he does, I think he's on this team. If he doesn't, he's not.

Likely true.

erod

Reaction score
Lenoir is practicing and producing. Thompson is in the tub.

Bye.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You know it and I know it, but they’re listing him as a RB for personnel/payroll reasons.

You think Workman's comp is cheaper if they list him as an RB? I can't think of any other payroll reason.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
TWill is comically underrated and he makes a lot more than a few dimes"

I tend to think it's because he is a professional athlete who has a specialization in using his hands to make his money and he's never actually used them.

ESisback

Reaction score
You think Workman's comp is cheaper if they list him as an RB? I can't think of any other payroll reason.

Some positions are paid better than others, plus they MIGHT think less transparency MIGHT give them an edge.