Thompson received a pretty healthy signing bonus for a no-name player

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, that's in the neighborhood of what is guaranteed to TWill. Maybe the guaranteed money saves him. There's a lot of smoke around TWill and the team seems to be getting away from that kind of thing.

Couple that with the fact he played all last year without a single TD tells me he is far from safe. Time will tell.

I thought the very same thing at first. But barring a trade or any possible suspension, Williams will be a Dallas Cowboy for 2018.

Verdict

Reaction score
Deonte Thompson was arrested and charged with felony possession in 2014. Amazingly, the charges were dropped after Thompson claimed the duffel bag was his but the drugs inside it were not. Seems like he's got a bit of bonehead in him, too.

"Body catcher" Williams caught 67% of his targets last season, a substantially higher rate than Beas (57%) and Dez (52%). He's also got a bigger dead cap hit than Thompson ($6 million higher) if he's released, so other than simply not liking him it makes little sense to cut TWill in favor of Thompson.

It would be hard for a traffic cone to catch less TD passes than TWill did last year. The fact you want him to stick around doesn't make it a good idea to hang on to his zero TD "production" if you want to call it that.

No one knows how this will shake out, including me. All I am saying is TWill's roster spot probably isn't safe, nor totally protected by his guaranteed money.

Verdict

Reaction score
I thought the very same thing at first. But barring a trade or any possible suspension, Williams will be a Dallas Cowboy for 2018.

That's entirely possible. It would not surprise me to see him get one more year. On the other hand I don't think his roster spot is etched in stone like many here do. You may disagree which is fine. That might be accurate.

I think he is having to earn his spot back, which is a good thing. I'm just not sure he gets that spot back.

Verdict

Reaction score
Is he Ped user, abuser, weed junkie? He is a steady player not great but isn't costing us much. He signed for less to stay here, which shows a lot more character than most players on this team.

He has zero situational awareness. He also had the DUI issue over the summer. You can ignore that if you want. I'm not sure the Cowboys liked it very much. I know they didn't like his zero touchdowns last year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Thompson and TW are the two I'd let go. I'd find a way to offload TW in a trade though even if we have to give up a 6th or 7th rounder.

If you base it off of TC reports that sounds consistent with their performance. I do think they really value Thompson's speed though, a lot.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It would be hard for a traffic cone to catch less TD passes than TWill did last year. The fact you want him to stick around doesn't make it a good idea to hang on to his zero TD "production" if you want to call it that.

No one knows how this will shake out, including me. All I am saying is TWill's roster spot probably isn't safe, nor totally protected by his guaranteed money.
last year was last year..lets give this 2018 a chance, new WR coach, QB coach, and game planners etc people wont let the year before go, we cant b that picky with the Cap and the WR depth being what it is , Twill is stuck here for one more year unless hes terrible during the season, he wont be cut..too many new guys and young guys and not much guaranteed depth chart as of now.. just dumping guys is fantasy football , this is reality..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think there's the possibility right now of keeping 4 TEs and 7 WRs based on play and the fact that those are our most questionable positions on offense.

My breakdown of the offensive 25 would be:

2 QBs: Prescott, Rush

3 RBs: Elliott, Smith, Scarbrough

1 FB: Olawale

4 TEs: Swaim, Barwin, Gathers, Schultz

7 WRs: Hurns, Beasley, Austin, Williams, Gallup, Lenoir, Thompson

8 OL: Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Looney, Fleming and Green or Edwards

It might not shake out that way as things will change throughout camp, but that's probably how I would lean right now.

Defensively, my 25 right now would be:

6 DEs: Lawrence, Charlton, Crawford, Armstrong, Tapper, Gregory

5 DTs: Woods, Price, Jones, Ward, Collins

6 LBs: Lee, Smith, Vander Esch, Thomas, Wilson, March-Lillard

4 CBs: Jones, Awuzie, Lewis, Brown

4 Ss: Heath, Woods, Frazier, Showers

As you might can tell, I wasn't happy with the DBs on Thursday. I ultimately expect us to keep one more than I have listed and cut a defensive lineman. However, I don't have any clue which DL I'd cut at this time.

Verdict

Reaction score
last year was last year..lets give this 2018 a chance, new WR coach, QB coach, and game planners etc people wont let the year before go, we cant b that picky with the Cap and the WR depth being what it is , Twill is stuck here for one more year unless hes terrible during the season, he wont be cut..too many new guys and young guys and not much guaranteed depth chart as of now.. just dumping guys is fantasy football , this is reality..

Some of you said moving on from Dez was fantasy too and how did that turn out. You are making an emotional argument to ignore what happened last year. Maybe the Cowboys will do that, but I personally don't think they will.

TWill had Zero, count 'em zero TDs last year. That's not something to cling to and cherish as if your life depend on it. That's something that you look to move on from.

Thompson has something the team has put a great deal of emphasis on in the off season--speed. This guy is blazing fast. Even if he is just a decoy, him catching one or two balls per game may result in a TD, and at least one defender will be taken out of the play with him.

That assists in spreading the field and assists the running game. Like I said before I don't KNOW what he Cowboys will do, and who they keep and who they don't, and neither do you.

I just believe that moving on from TWill is more likely than people here want to believe.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some of you said moving on from Dez was fantasy too and how did that turn out. You are making an emotional argument to ignore what happened last year. Maybe the Cowboys will do that, but I personally don't think they will.

TWill had Zero, count 'em zero TDs last year. That's not something to cling to and cherish as if your life depend on it. That's something that you look to move on from.

Thompson has something the team has put a great deal of emphasis on in the off season--speed. This guy is blazing fast. Even if he is just a decoy, him catching one or two balls per game may result in a TD, and at least one defender will be taken out of the play with him.

That assists in spreading the field and assists the running game. Like I said before I don't KNOW what he Cowboys will do, and who they keep and who they don't, and neither do you.

I just believe that moving on from TWill is more likely than people here want to believe.
no most of us didnt we said if he didnt take the pay cut he was gone..well they didnt offer it to him because of his statements, not unlike his continued statements, his mouth got him canned and he was distraction with a high contract and low production.. it was tough o move on from him for the FO and some fans but it wasn't fantasy..now hes trying out for the browns LMAO
now this year is now very different because we cut dez and then the surprise witten left.. we signed Thompson and kept Twill because of this..again low on depth and not sure about the depth chart//we have to go long in WR/TE this year to let the cream rise to the top and next year Twill Thompson and others will be gone and we will draft another high WR and maybe go after a FA with more of a name..

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dez was never talented enough to be worth the headache. At some point your production on the field has to be enough. He was only ever good at scoring. He never had a 100 catch or 1600 yard season. Way too many times even with Romo in his PRIME, Dez would just vanish, even without a double.

Sydla

Reaction score

The fact they are taking an $8MM dead money hit with Dez means it's probably very unlikely they will cut Williams. If they did, they'd have nearly $13MM in dead money to WRs.

No chance in hell Stephen wants that, especially if the debate is keeping Williams over a guy like Thompson, who is basically a JAG that runs fast.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I think Lance Lenoir's battle to make the roster is longer than people think but I wouldn't be surprised if he did
Williams
Beasley
Hurns
Gallup
The question becomes who's #5? Probably down to Lenoir or Thompson at this point. Lenoir isn't THAT special though so they could probably stash him on the practice squad again.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think Lance Lenoir's battle to make the roster is longer than people think but I wouldn't be surprised if he did
Williams
Beasley
Hurns
Gallup
The question becomes who's #5? Probably down to Lenoir or Thompson at this point. Lenoir isn't THAT special though so they could probably stash him on the practice squad again.

Until we see Austin taking way more snaps at RB than he has in practice, Austin is a WR.

So the Top 5 are Hurns, Gallup, Austin, Williams and Beasley. Lenoir or Thompson. Carry 6.

Carrying 7 is overkill and means you might not be able to carry another DE or S.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Yeah sorry for some reason I forgot Austin. Lenoir or Thompson at #6, would be shocked if Lenoir takes it.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
WR—Hurns, TWill, Beasley, Gallup, Thompson, Lenoir

RB—Elliott, Smith, Scarborough, Austin

TE—3
QB—3
OL—8
ST—3
LB—6
DB—10
DL—10

?
I don't see Dallas carrying 3 QB's. White will be placed on the practice squad. No way he doesn't clear. If he is needed they can always call him up. Hopefully not. That gives the the ability to carry 7 WR's or 4 TE's. (Rico will make this team) Also, people seemingly are forgetting about Darrius Jackson who in the 49er game looked better than Scarborough and Smith. His quickness stood out to me.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of hearing this fanbase wanting to get rid of TWill each year. The guy can play, he makes some nice plays at times, and is not a idiot like some of these players on this team. So what if he messes up every once and awhile or body catches. :rolleyes:
He made one of the best catches I have ever seen in the Seattle game years ago. Romo threw a prayer to him and he answered by tapping his feet. That was an amazing catch lest anyone forget.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until we see Austin taking way more snaps at RB than he has in practice, Austin is a WR.

So the Top 5 are Hurns, Gallup, Austin, Williams and Beasley. Lenoir or Thompson. Carry 6.

Carrying 7 is overkill and means you might not be able to carry another DE or S.

There's not another S you'd want to keep at this point.

ESisback

Reaction score
I don't see Dallas carrying 3 QB's. White will be placed on the practice squad. No way he doesn't clear. If he is needed they can always call him up. Hopefully not. That gives the the ability to carry 7 WR's or 4 TE's. (Rico will make this team) Also, people seemingly are forgetting about Darrius Jackson who in the 49er game looked better than Scarborough and Smith. His quickness stood out to me.
You may be right, because they’ve gone with 2 QB’s before, and I don’t think they wanna put Gathers on the PS, because he’d get poached by Philly or Wash. or NE.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Bai Gathers, have fun in Philly or Wash. or NE. Thanks for all the regular season memories.