Thompson received a pretty healthy signing bonus for a no-name player

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
You may be right, because they’ve gone with 2 QB’s before, and I don’t think they wanna put Gathers on the PS, because he’d get poached by Philly or Wash. or NE.
That one handed catch Rico made in practice the other day is SPECIAL and I doubt any of our other current TE's make that catch. That is what you need from a TE who has a huge catch radius. Dak is not Mr Accuracy so sometimes his passes are not perfectly placed and you need a guy who can make these tougher catches. Rico can do that.

Verdict

Reaction score
The fact they are taking an $8MM dead money hit with Dez means it's probably very unlikely they will cut Williams. If they did, they'd have nearly $13MM in dead money to WRs.

No chance in hell Stephen wants that, especially if the debate is keeping Williams over a guy like Thompson, who is basically a JAG that runs fast.

While no one wants dead money on the books the diffference in impact on the salary cap is actually negligible between keeping Williams and Thompson. The out of pocket difference would be Thompson's salary this year which I think is the minimum. They won't let that small amount of money keep them from making the move---if the choose to.

ESisback

Reaction score
That one handed catch Rico made in practice the other day is SPECIAL and I doubt any of our other current TE's make that catch. That is what you need from a TE who has a huge catch radius. Dak is not Mr Accuracy so sometimes his passes are not perfectly placed and you need a guy who can make these tougher catches. Rico can do that.

If they put Gathers on the PS, he WILL be poached! They HAVE TO know that!

ESisback

Reaction score
Why is that?
Because most of us “simpleton fans” are pretty certain that SOMEONE would see a potential weapon. Hell, a team like the Eagles would jump on him if they thought it hurt us in any way.

Verdict

Reaction score
Because most of us “simpleton fans” are pretty certain that SOMEONE would see a potential weapon. Hell, a team like the Eagles would jump on him if they thought it hurt us in any way.

Sort of like they "pounced on Dez"?

ESisback

Reaction score
Sort of like they "pounced on Dez"?

1)Who said anyone would “pounce on Dez”? Certainly not me.
2)A low cost young player with potential is more attractive than a declining diva with a giant contract and limited route tree.
3)An added bonus? Taking a potential weapon from a hated rival, especially for a team like Philly, who’s obviously obsessed with us.

All I’m saying is what most of us feel. His size and potential is intriguing to many, and the minute we make him available, someone will most likely be tempted. Agree, disagree, believe what you want, or have the last word—it’s all good!

Verdict

Reaction score
1)Who said anyone would “pounce on Dez”? Certainly not me.
2)A low cost young player with potential is more attractive than a declining diva with a giant contract and limited route tree.
3)An added bonus? Taking a potential weapon from a hated rival, especially for a team like Philly, who’s obviously obsessed with us.

All I’m saying is what most of us feel. His size and potential is intriguing to many, and the minute we make him available, someone will most likely be tempted. Agree, disagree, believe what you want, or have the last word—it’s all good!

Potential for what? I understand there are some late bloomers, but TWill has been in the league for several years and he is not really any better today than he was as as rookie. At this point he COULD improve but most likely he is who he is. He's not really a YOUNG player.

I'm not sure who would want to "pounce" on a guy who had zero TDs last year in spite of playing all year. Maybe he will rebound but he was nothing special last year.

How exactly would signing a player we didn't think was good enough to make our team hurt us? I'm not bashing your point of view. I'm just suggesting that I sort of doubt that TWill will be getting a big pay increase if we cut him. I think he may have trouble getting anything other than a little over the vet minimum, but he might have some marketability.

ESisback

Reaction score
Potential for what? I understand there are some late bloomers, but TWill has been in the league for several years and he is not really any better today than he was as as rookie. At this point he COULD improve but most likely he is who he is. He's not really a YOUNG player.

I'm not sure who would want to "pounce" on a guy who had zero TDs last year in spite of playing all year. Maybe he will rebound but he was nothing special last year.

How exactly would signing a player we didn't think was good enough to make our team hurt us? I'm not bashing your point of view. I'm just suggesting that I sort of doubt that TWill will be getting a big pay increase if we cut him. I think he may have trouble getting anything other than a little over the vet minimum, but he might have some marketability.

1)Pounce is your word, not mine.
2)I was talking about Gathers, not TWill.
3)You seem to just want to argue.
4)Believe whatever you want, but my opinion (and the opinion of many others, from what I’ve read) remains unchanged: if we put Rico on the PS, someone will poach him. Just sayin’.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Thompson received a pretty healthy signing bonus for a now name player. I see people easily scratching him off the 53, but not TWill. Granted TWILL has a higher SB, but he seems to be a lot more of a bonehead.

I will not be surprised if Thompson makes it over TWILL. As a side note, TWill getting suspended would really help us out on the initial 53. That's why I don't think he will get suspended before the first game and the initial roster is set.

Hurns
Gallup
Beasley
Austin
TW

With Lenoir again on the PS and Wilson on IR

Verdict

Reaction score
1)Pounce is your word, not mine.
2)I was talking about Gathers, not TWill.
3)You seem to just want to argue.
4)Believe whatever you want, but my opinion (and the opinion of many others, from what I’ve read) remains unchanged: if we put Rico on the PS, someone will poach him. Just sayin’.

I'm sure there are some who believe that and some who don't.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's $1 million vs $7.25 million. The math looks pretty easy.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/terrance-williams-12355/

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. Yeah. The dead money is not really the issue. Dead money is bad. I'm not saying otherwise.

What I AM saying is that TWills money is gone, one way or the other so that is a sunk cost. So is Thompson's signing bonus. Both get paid/were paid either way.

So the real cost and real cap implications of cutting TWill and keeping Thompson is whatever the amount of Thompson's base salary is for this year which is less than a million if I remember correctly.

If they want to keep Thompson the money will probably not get in the way. If they keep TWill rather than Thompson it will probably be because of performance rather than a money decision.

Verdict

Reaction score

Dez seemed to catch a few difficult balls too occasionally and now he's gone. What else do you have?

ESisback

Reaction score
Dez seemed to catch a few difficult balls too occasionally and now he's gone. What else do you have?

And once again, Dez is a declining diva with a limited route tree and a huge contract. Just think there’s a good chance SOMEONE would take a look at young potential at a low price.

Verdict

Reaction score
And once again, Dez is a declining diva with a limited route tree and a huge contract. Just think there’s a good chance SOMEONE would take a look at young potential at a low price.

Yeah but if we don't WANT him what does it matter?