Thoughts about Giants HC Brain Dabol as a future OC!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My issue with Vrabel name being out there is how do we know he’s a good DC?
A good question......he was a DC for only a year before getting the Titans HC coaching job. He's kinda riding Belichick's coattail as a player in his system. It's still interesting there were eight HC openings last season but he didn't receive any offers, not even as DC.

Proof

Reaction score
if he failed once, we gotta hve him. retreads rock.

Sign him to a massive deal, Companies do this all the time, it works for them.

Espcically with a team not looking to win, thats our target.
there's a massive difference between hc and coordinator. over their head hc's return to being really good coordinators often. maybe try less to be snarky and more to understand the point

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dabol comes from the Bill Bellicheck coaching tree. He was on his staff prior to stops at Alabama and Buffalo is the OC. He was credited for developing Josh Allen and worked with both Tua/Hurts on the college level and now is coaching Daniel Jones.

Many believe that Dabol won't survive another losing season with the Giants. This is the first year he has taken over the play calling duties and the offense has looked better. However, the Giants biggest problem is their lack of overall talent. OL has been a mess for years and finally added a legitimate wide receiver.

I think Dabol is going to have to come back as an OC before another organization with hire him as am Head Coach again. He is the type of OC I could definitely see either Bellicheck or Saban teaming up with. Thoughts?
do you like the Giants offense?

John813

Reaction score
Dabol has been limited with Jones.
Now, I don't know how much of Brian's influence was on keeping or getting rid of Jones.

And the GM let Saquon walk.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
One of the best OCs there is, But Dallas' next HC should be an offensive mind - i.e. Ben Johnson - making a premium OC kind of useless.

Daboll makes a guy like Vrabel a lot more palatable.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
One of the best OCs there is, But Dallas' next HC should be an offensive mind - i.e. Ben Johnson - making a premium OC kind of useless.

Daboll makes a guy like Vrabel a lot more palatable.

Right, but suppose we get a coaching staff of Ben Johnson, Daboll, and Vrabel or Saleh. That'd be an amazing staff (keeping Bones).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dabol comes from the Bill Bellicheck coaching tree. He was on his staff prior to stops at Alabama and Buffalo is the OC. He was credited for developing Josh Allen and worked with both Tua/Hurts on the college level and now is coaching Daniel Jones.

Many believe that Dabol won't survive another losing season with the Giants. This is the first year he has taken over the play calling duties and the offense has looked better. However, the Giants biggest problem is their lack of overall talent. OL has been a mess for years and finally added a legitimate wide receiver.

I think Dabol is going to have to come back as an OC before another organization with hire him as am Head Coach again. He is the type of OC I could definitely see either Bellicheck or Saban teaming up with. Thoughts?
He’s a good football guy I’d be fine with him as a coach.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Right, but suppose we get a coaching staff of Ben Johnson, Daboll, and Vrabel or Saleh. That'd be an amazing staff (keeping Bones).
What is the point of having Daboll and Johnson? It'd be Johnson's offense. He can just bring Brunell or whoever from Detroit to be the OC - but that'd just be a title only as Johnson would call plays.

I don't think you're going to get Vrabel as a DC. Maybe Saleh

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What is the point of having Daboll and Johnson? It'd be Johnson's offense. He can just bring Brunell or whoever from Detroit to be the OC - but that'd just be a title only as Johnson would call plays.

I don't think you're going to get Vrabel as a DC. Maybe Saleh

Good point. Johnson, Brunell, and Saleh would still be cool.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Good point. Johnson, Brunell, and Saleh would still be cool.
I mean the flip side is that if you go with Vrabel or a defnesive HC (which, I never would) a guy like Daboll isn't likely to get another head coaching gig any time soon so you should have some continuity there at least.

I could probably be sold on a Vrabel/Daboll pairing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I mean the flip side is that if you go with Vrabel or a defnesive HC (which, I never would) a guy like Daboll isn't likely to get another head coaching gig any time soon so you should have some continuity there at least.

Tbh, if we are paying Dak a lot, wouldn't it make sense to go defence? Especially with our defence the way it is, wouldn't it make sense to go Vrabel and Dabol? Especially if Daboll wants to run the ball. One of the reasons the Bills were successful with him as OC was because they ran well.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/type/team/name/buf/season/2021

If you look here, you'll see they had a solid rushing attack. Undoubtedly, a good chunk was Allen running, but he seems to run a more physical offense than we do. What we need is for him to focus on building up the run game. One of Dak's strengths is being able to run the play action. To do that, we have to be able to run. So, by going Vrabel at HC and Daboll at OC, we can have a HC focused on making our defence more physical and an OC to make our offense more physical. This should help the entire team.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Tbh, if we are paying Dak a lot, wouldn't it make sense to go defence? Especially with our defence the way it is, wouldn't it make sense to go Vrabel and Dabol? Especially if Daboll wants to run the ball. One of the reasons the Bills were successful with him as OC was because they ran well.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/type/team/name/buf/season/2021

If you look here, you'll see they had a solid rushing attack. Undoubtedly, a good chunk was Allen running, but he seems to run a more physical offense than we do. What we need is for him to focus on building up the run game. One of Dak's strengths is being able to run the play action. To do that, we have to be able to run. So, by going Vrabel at HC and Daboll at OC, we can have a HC focused on making our defence more physical and an OC to make our offense more physical. This should help the entire team.
No. If you are paying a quarterback you should also invest in systems around the quarterback. The idea you have is exactly how the Chargers have failed Herbert.

Daboll never depended on a run game - he understands how to leverage a quick passing game to compensate for a poor OL and get easy wins for the QB. A huge chunk of their rushing yardage was JA scrambling. Overall, JA developed because of the arrival of Daboll and, to a different degree, Diggs, and they just opened up the offense. There was a massive step forward from 2018 to 2019 and then again from 2019 to 2020.

Chasing6

Reaction score

You think he can convince Jerry to invest in a run game???

JayFord

Reaction score
I’d hire Dabol as HC

The giants situation isn’t their fault….we complain about Dak being paid imagine paying Daniel Jones big money….

They have literally VERY few weapons and he’s doing what he can he should be commended

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No. If you are paying a quarterback you should also invest in systems around the quarterback. The idea you have is exactly how the Chargers have failed Herbert.

Daboll never depended on a run game - he understands how to leverage a quick passing game to compensate for a poor OL and get easy wins for the QB. A huge chunk of their rushing yardage was JA scrambling. Overall, JA developed because of the arrival of Daboll and, to a different degree, Diggs, and they just opened up the offense. There was a massive step forward from 2018 to 2019 and then again from 2019 to 2020.

Fair enough, so, I could see where a Ben Johnson makes a lot of sense. The thing we need is, especially with what I've noticed about Dak, someone that can develop a good ground attack. Dak is a much better QB than people give him credit. The problem is, like any QB, you can't have him be 1 dimensional. We are no where near as physical as we should be. What we need is a better run attack so he can become more effective with the play action.

They were explaining on ESPN the other day that Dak is more of a technician and he expects his WRs to be open in certain spots. If you watch him play, that's about accurate. He will hold onto the ball and try to buy more time if his WRs are either not where they're supposed to be or are not open. Part of what can help is the threat of a run game. If we can run the ball effectively, that will open more receivers up. We also need someone who can make sure, to Aikman's point, the WRs are running crisp routes.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
A good question......he was a DC for only a year before getting the Titans HC coaching job. He's kinda riding Belichick's coattail as a player in his system. It's still interesting there were eight HC openings last season but he didn't receive any offers, not even as DC.
I only asked because some names get thrown out but there is nothing confirming they’re good. If his one year as DC wasn’t good or if he didn’t run the D as head coach, I’d shy away.

Rex Ryan, Mike Zimmer, Vic Fangio overseen and successfully called plays on defense even as head coaches. Ron Rivera for instance , not so much.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Fair enough, so, I could see where a Ben Johnson makes a lot of sense. The thing we need is, especially with what I've noticed about Dak, someone that can develop a good ground attack. Dak is a much better QB than people give him credit. The problem is, like any QB, you can't have him be 1 dimensional. We are no where near as physical as we should be. What we need is a better run attack so he can become more effective with the play action.

They were explaining on ESPN the other day that Dak is more of a technician and he expects his WRs to be open in certain spots. If you watch him play, that's about accurate. He will hold onto the ball and try to buy more time if his WRs are either not where they're supposed to be or are not open. Part of what can help is the threat of a run game. If we can run the ball effectively, that will open more receivers up. We also need someone who can make sure, to Aikman's point, the WRs are running crisp routes.
The Lions' run game, like every other good offense, is a product of their ability to throw the ball. They run when they have numbers advantages and have a mauling offensive line that takes full advantage of it. But in the passing game they constantly execute on time and win 1-1 matchups. The biggest difference between Goff and Dak is that Goff is not good under pressure and on obvious throwing downs (Dak 3rd down epa/play .433, Goff .107 in 2023) or off script.

Detroit is the exact offense Dallas should be running with Dak - but they need a mind to install it and significant upgrades at the skill positions.