CFZ Thoughts about last's night solid win!

75boyz

Reaction score
Run defense is concerning as they still appear to be light in the *** and get pushed back on several occasions.
Additionally, now that Brown is lost the expectations for both Joseph and Bland have gone way up.

This dominant pass rush can cover some of these corner warts while the safety play is at a high level to help compensate as well. Need more consistent linebacker tackling though too.
Offensively, (well other than starting slow as usual, lol) it was a near masterpiece, with run blocking, not too pass happy and effective play from both RBs.
Excellent identity for this offense going forward that I hope will be the standard.

Lastly, Garappolo being out for the season now surely points toward possible post season success. They are such a physical team if anyone watched their mauling of Miami yesterday even in Jimmy G's absence.

Strangely enough, I still had my doubts more toward the 49ers than the Eagles before the 49ers lost Jimmy G yesterday.

I am now confused because a showing like this makes me optimistic on future success this year.

Oh well, seeing is still believing.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I hate to throw a wet blanket over this win, but if we were playing a contender, we'd have lost that game by halftime. The Cowboys looked average to poor in the first half. Dak Looked like crap early on.

It was a 2 point game going into the 4th when the Colts imploded with turnovers. Someone in the organization must have pissed off some witchdoctor somewhere, that was crazy with the turnovers.

We have to be better than that when the Eagles come to Dallas. Or Dallas isn't winning that game.
I have to set your wet blanket on fire I guess.

It was a nationally televised game...the Colts were going to give us their best. They had success on the ground and through the air. Dallas could have loss if they'd had their customary penalties. But Dallas played a solid game and pulled away in the end.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Offense

-Arguably Cee Dee's best game as a Cowboy. Tremendous in the open field and made a heads up play to score the first TD of the game.
-Thought ground attack was effective, although it really didn't hit until the 2nd half.
-Peters play at LT and Tyler inside suggests Tyron is returning and Peters working as the swing Tackle.
-Cowboys receivers continue to allow easy interceptions. Any QB will be off target at times, if you cannot catch it, make sure the other team doesn't as well.
-Shultz was lucky they couldn't challenge that early fumble and needs to make that TD catch. Bad penalty by Ferguson that stopped the 1st drive in the 2nd half at the 50.

Defense

-Giving up just 80 yards to Jonathan Taylor was a big accomplishment. Run defense still is very shaky at times, by definitely has gotten better since Green Bay.
-Surprisingly the Cowboys couldn't get much of a pass rush without the blitz last night, perhaps Ryan was getting rid of the ball too quickly.
-Anthony Brown once again got beaten deep. Before the injury, I thought he needed to get benched. Sucks to lose him for the year, as it hurts our depth, but we need to see what Joseph can do. Gave up a TD, but looked better attacking the football then Brown. Diggs also had a terrible play that led to the Colts 1st TD.
-It took Hooker to play his former team to have his breakout game with the Cowboys. His interception was the key play that turned around the game.
-Both Lve and Clark made huge plays, Lve made a great tackle in space against Taylor, Clark caused that fumble in the 4th qtr.

Special Teams

-Perhaps their worse performance of the yr. Gave up long kickoff returns, had an extra point blocked.
Weird game. Parsons seemed off and Armstrong/Tank were no shows on defense. Bland.Williams, LVE, Hooker, Wilson and Clark really stood out to me. Offensively Martin and Steele got beat a few times. I wonder if that was because of the missed practice time for Steele. It is going to be scary if Tyron is actually healthy and can play left tackle. CeeDee played an all around game and is proving he is a number one wide receiver.

austin88

Reaction score
Offense

-Arguably Cee Dee's best game as a Cowboy. Tremendous in the open field and made a heads up play to score the first TD of the game.
-Thought ground attack was effective, although it really didn't hit until the 2nd half.
-Peters play at LT and Tyler inside suggests Tyron is returning and Peters working as the swing Tackle.
-Cowboys receivers continue to allow easy interceptions. Any QB will be off target at times, if you cannot catch it, make sure the other team doesn't as well.
-Shultz was lucky they couldn't challenge that early fumble and needs to make that TD catch. Bad penalty by Ferguson that stopped the 1st drive in the 2nd half at the 50.

Defense

-Giving up just 80 yards to Jonathan Taylor was a big accomplishment. Run defense still is very shaky at times, by definitely has gotten better since Green Bay.
-Surprisingly the Cowboys couldn't get much of a pass rush without the blitz last night, perhaps Ryan was getting rid of the ball too quickly.
-Anthony Brown once again got beaten deep. Before the injury, I thought he needed to get benched. Sucks to lose him for the year, as it hurts our depth, but we need to see what Joseph can do. Gave up a TD, but looked better attacking the football then Brown. Diggs also had a terrible play that led to the Colts 1st TD.
-It took Hooker to play his former team to have his breakout game with the Cowboys. His interception was the key play that turned around the game.
-Both Lve and Clark made huge plays, Lve made a great tackle in space against Taylor, Clark caused that fumble in the 4th qtr.

Special Teams

-Perhaps their worse performance of the yr. Gave up long kickoff returns, had an extra point blocked.

Glad you pointed out the special teams problems. You could add the two early, major penalties -- one gave the Colts possession near midfield (they only got one first down before kicking the field goal), the other offset a hold by them. This was the first game all year that the special teams felt shaky to me.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Good stuff.

- It seems like most of our picks are weird / fluky. Another one last night where Gallup falls down on the route.
- Tough day for Schultz. Dropped a big 3rd down early in the game and should’ve brought in that TD. Would’ve given Dak 4 on the day and then maybe people aren’t saying he’s terrible after a 50+ point win lol.
- Awesome game from the rookies Bland and Clark. Bland with the obvious picks but Clark was in the backfield and the forced fumble was huge.
- Run game electric as usual
- Can anyone other than Lamb consistently get open? I like MG, but he’s a 1 trick pony. We need help at WR.
- Agree on JT. We bottled him up enough early and once the lead stretched where they had to pass the game was over.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good write up. I like the early usage of Pollard to open the game. We are able to attack the whole field when Pollard is in the game.

Noticed Diggs moving over to AB spot after the injury. Wonder if this will be the way moving forward?

From a Jerry interview after the game on a local sports channel. Jerry was asked about Pollard starting. Jerry, smiling, said well he thought it was a discipline issue. Zeke butted heads with a coach, for being late to a meeting or a cell phone going off, he wasn't sure and wasn't going to get into it, not his call. But he would have said no issue, and started Zeke and laughed.

So...there goes the theory of some saying Jerry says who plays and who starts. :muttley:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good stuff.

- It seems like most of our picks are weird / fluky. Another one last night where Gallup falls down on the route.
- Tough day for Schultz. Dropped a big 3rd down early in the game and should’ve brought in that TD. Would’ve given Dak 4 on the day and then maybe people aren’t saying he’s terrible after a 50+ point win lol.
- Awesome game from the rookies Bland and Clark. Bland with the obvious picks but Clark was in the backfield and the forced fumble was huge.
- Run game electric as usual
- Can anyone other than Lamb consistently get open? I like MG, but he’s a 1 trick pony. We need help at WR.
- Agree on JT. We bottled him up enough early and once the lead stretched where they had to pass the game was over.
This is why I have been the #1 person on this board about signing OBJ. Better teams will be able to scheme to take away Lamb. Gallup has struggled to beat man coverage, Noah Brown has been a no show for several weeks. Question is, how healthy is Beckham? If he's 80% of his former self, that might be enough for teams to not take away Lamb.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would agree with that. A focused CD can be really good. He's got to work on staying focused.

Also agree that the ST's blocking was suspect all night. You could see they were eventually going to get one.
I hope other teams don't follow what the Colts did by returning kicks against us.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Weird game. Parsons seemed off and Armstrong/Tank were no shows on defense. Bland.Williams, LVE, Hooker, Wilson and Clark really stood out to me. Offensively Martin and Steele got beat a few times. I wonder if that was because of the missed practice time for Steele. It is going to be scary if Tyron is actually healthy and can play left tackle. CeeDee played an all around game and is proving he is a number one wide receiver.
Colts have a legitimate defense, it's their offense why they are struggling.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Offense

Defense

Special Teams

LVE showed how "slow and lumbering" he is, when he ran down one of the fastest RBs in the league and kept him from getting a huge gain.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good write up. I like the early usage of Pollard to open the game. We are able to attack the whole field when Pollard is in the game.

Noticed Diggs moving over to AB spot after the injury. Wonder if this will be the way moving forward?
IIRC, the run game did nothing until Zeke came in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Pollard AT ALL, but last night it was Zeke who got the train rolling.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Run defense is concerning as they still appear to be light in the *** and get pushed back on several occasions.
Additionally, now that Brown is lost the expectations for both Joseph and Bland have gone way up.

This dominant pass rush can cover some of these corner warts while the safety play is at a high level to help compensate as well. Need more consistent linebacker tackling though too.
Offensively, (well other than starting slow as usual, lol) it was a near masterpiece, with run blocking, not too pass happy and effective play from both RBs.
Excellent identity for this offense going forward that I hope will be the standard.

Lastly, Garappolo being out for the season now surely points toward possible post season success. They are such a physical team if anyone watched their mauling of Miami yesterday even in Jimmy G's absence.

Strangely enough, I still had my doubts more toward the 49ers than the Eagles before the 49ers lost Jimmy G yesterday.

I am now confused because a showing like this makes me optimistic on future success this year.

Oh well, seeing is still believing.
Joseph scares me. he sucks. bland has done a great job in the slot in Lewis' absence....but now Joseph will have a target on his back. his fundamentals lack. he is always a step late. he doesn't know where he is at times. he better improve fast or we are going to give up a bunch of big plays on his side.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Teams will do the same and attack the corner opposite Diggs, no matter what side. Huge opportunity for Joseph, will he seize it or will we be drafting another high corner come draft time?
They should probably give Diggs one on one matchups and give Bossman Fat a helper.

StylisticS

Reaction score
It was not as impressive as it looked. Just sayin.
Perhaps. But the Colts do not let you have impressive games. They beat KC and probably should have beat Philly. They are solid defensively and Dallas put up 47 offensive points on them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't consider this a "solid win". The 4th quarter was solid! Before that, the Cowboys did their best to make an irrelevant team feel relevant.