Thoughts about MM Returning

Cowboyny

Reaction score
First of all anything Bobby Belt reports inside the star is usually legitimate, he does have legitimate sources within the team and used to work with Jane Slater.

The majority expected MM to return before the playoffs and Dan Quinn to leave to become a HC. Nothing has changed, the good news for now is that MM didn't receive a contract extension which coaches usually do with 1 yr left on their deals. Also, Dak has yet to been extended. Hopefully, they will be tied together, either they succeed or both are gone in 2025. Both are truly on the "hot seat".

Jerry might force MM to get rid of some of his assistants, Solari, Peete, McCurley to name a few.

Who will they replace Dan Quinn when he most likely departs? Reports are saying a former HC rather then an assistant internally. This means a scheme change will take place. Cannot image major changes. Who is out there?

As for the roster, if you are keeping Dak for another season, you have to fix the run game, figure out the receiving core as basically it was just Lamb and a bunch of role players. Defensively, it starts with overhauling their run defense and finding another corner.

My three priority needs this offseason: Center (Biaz is nothing special), MLB, RB,CB,DE

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Who will they replace Dan Quinn when he most likely departs?
I think a better question is who's willing to work for a lame-duck HC? Probably the bottom-tier guys........of course Jerry can change that and give the new DC a 3 year deal. It would be odd though

Sydla

Reaction score
First of all anything Bobby Belt reports inside the star is usually legitimate, he does have legitimate sources within the team and used to work with Jane Slater.

The majority expected MM to return before the playoffs and Dan Quinn to leave to become a HC. Nothing has changed, the good news for now is that MM didn't receive a contract extension which coaches usually do with 1 yr left on their deals. Also, Dak has yet to been extended. Hopefully, they will be tied together, either they succeed or both are gone in 2025. Both are truly on the "hot seat".

Jerry might force MM to get rid of some of his assistants, Solari, Peete, McCurley to name a few.

Who will they replace Dan Quinn when he most likely departs? Reports are saying a former HC rather then an assistant internally. This means a scheme change will take place. Cannot image major changes. Who is out there?

As for the roster, if you are keeping Dak for another season, you have to fix the run game, figure out the receiving core as basically it was just Lamb and a bunch of role players. Defensively, it starts with overhauling their run defense and finding another corner.

My three priority needs this offseason: Center (Biaz is nothing special), MLB, RB,CB,DE
There is an issue with this.

The Cowboys are already over the cap. People keep citing all these needs - LB, OL, RB, etc. How you plan on doing that if you don't extend Dak and lower his cap hit?

The only other is to restructure other guys that probably shouldn't be restructured OR you start cutting players which likely creates another hole somewhere else.

Jarntt

Reaction score
My thoughts are eventually you get what you deserve. I'm not blaming Dak and I'm not blaming McCarthy. But, I'm saying something here isn't working and something needs to change or it will be the same thing every year. Since Jerry isn't firing himself or his son the only way to make a significant change is to do just that. If you bring back all the same major players nothing is going to change. Sometimes things may get worse when you take a chance but who cares? The NFL isn't for striving to be pretty good, it's about winning a SB and nothing else and clearly we aren't going to unless we do something differently. There will always be injuries and there will always be good teams to beat, but when you lose to an average team in your own house after losing to pretty much anyone else put in front of you in a big game it's time to take that chance.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I agree with your post. I thought I saw a tweet saying Quinn is returning as well. I didn’t go into the thread. I see you left out LT. You trust the young tackles to develop? You’re being nice about Biaz. I actually think besides the offensive line scheme, he was the issue with the line.

Havic

Reaction score
Sucks I’d rather him be out but if he fired next year so be it. Dak and him need to go.

Jarntt

Reaction score

The Cowboys are already over the cap. People keep citing all these needs - LB, OL, RB, etc. How you plan on doing that if you don't extend Dak and lower his cap hit?

The only other is to restructure other guys that probably shouldn't be restructured OR you start cutting players which likely creates another hole somewhere else.
Extending CeeDee alone will get us under the cap. Cutting Gallup as post 6/1 clears up space to help sign someone (remember the first year of a new deal always has a low cap hit). Restructuring Diggs saves about $8M. Rush or Lance is gone.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think a better question is who's willing to work for a lame-duck HC? Probably the bottom-tier guys........of course Jerry can change that and give the new DC a 3 year deal. It would be odd though
Just move up the assistant coaches. I question whether Quinn gets a head coaching job anywhere. Jerry is right about one thing. You have a large pool to hire coaches from. Lame duck coach or not.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
That GB game was the worst coaching loss I have seen in my life. The Cowboys practically treated it like a preseason game from a tactics perspective. McCarthy has publicly gone on record that its his philosophy "you do what got you there".

You could hand McCarthy an all time great team talent wise and they would still flame out in the postseason. The ONLY way to win with him is with stars who are willing to go off script like Rodgers did.

fifaguy

Reaction score
No surprise. Just disappointed. Expect the exact same outcome again next year. I pretty much checked out this year for the first time (been watching them religiously for the last 30 years). I think I saw one full game all year long.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
McCarthy is a symptom of the problem you can change the coach it doesn't fix the underlying issues doesn't matter who they bring in in the last 30 years has proven that

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The more I think about it though the more it wouldn't surprise me to see Jerry hire a DC to a longer deal, only to have that guy as the next HC if MM gets let go after this year... Not that i'm a big fan of that strategy because then you spend the whole year with the "coach X is trying to sabotage McCarthy" narratives, and you do start to question who actually has more pull in the locker room.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Thinking outside of the box here.

Maybe this is the last season Jerry has before handing it over. And he wants to try one more time his way before Stephen takes over? I said this when Garrett was about to be not renewed. That Stephen would be picking the next coach. I think Jerry would have kept JG if he had the final say. Maybe this is Jerry's last go.

RS12

Reaction score
I dont believe McCarthy has the locker room as being "reported". That team flat out quit on Sunday. Accordions fold harder than than that. The last 16 points the team scored were after GB let off the gas and went prevent. 48 to 16 is a more accurate picture. Mind boggling to run it back.

Last edited:

kevm3

Reaction score
We have a lot of amazing coaches available now, but we're not going to get them because Jerrah needs to 'ride with his boy'. If we have another disappointing year, which is highly likely, then watch Ceedee and Parsons book

Cmac

Reaction score
There you have it........and the Fall Guy is still available (Dak) right now to place all that's wrong or mask with this franchise to cling to while dismissing all the other mess. We're good. It is what it is.

visionary

Reaction score

This
To make a legitimate run we need a significant roster upgrade. To do that you are forced to extend Dak
Also who is coming here as DC if the HC is a lame duck? No one good

This is such an idiotic move by Jerry