Thoughts about MM Returning

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Guess it always could be worse, like hiring Kellen Moore to become the HC.

Reactions: JPM

Jumbo075

Reaction score
First of all anything Bobby Belt reports inside the star is usually legitimate, he does have legitimate sources within the team and used to work with Jane Slater.

The majority expected MM to return before the playoffs and Dan Quinn to leave to become a HC. Nothing has changed, the good news for now is that MM didn't receive a contract extension which coaches usually do with 1 yr left on their deals. Also, Dak has yet to been extended. Hopefully, they will be tied together, either they succeed or both are gone in 2025. Both are truly on the "hot seat".

Jerry might force MM to get rid of some of his assistants, Solari, Peete, McCurley to name a few.

Who will they replace Dan Quinn when he most likely departs? Reports are saying a former HC rather then an assistant internally. This means a scheme change will take place. Cannot image major changes. Who is out there?

As for the roster, if you are keeping Dak for another season, you have to fix the run game, figure out the receiving core as basically it was just Lamb and a bunch of role players. Defensively, it starts with overhauling their run defense and finding another corner.

My three priority needs this offseason: Center (Biaz is nothing special), MLB, RB,CB,DE
I expected McCarthy to return, and fully support his return. He has the best results since Jimmy Johnson (excluding Barry Switzer) as a head coach for the Cowboys. He’s earned more time.

On the other hand, Dan Quinn’s defense collapsed completely in 4 games this season against the Cardinals, Niners, Bills, and Packers. Then, when it counted most in the last 2 minutes against the Dolphins, the defense failed again. Big changes are needed in defense.

But the offense just needs some tweaking and player development. Other than the Running Back position, the Cowboys may already have the players they need at the skill positions and on the Oline to move forward into the future. The Cowboys have a room full of developing Olinemen who may or may not be ready to replace Tyron Smith and Zack Martin, both of whom are likely to retire either this year or next. We need to find out if Waletzko, Bass, Richards, Ball, Bostick and Hoffman have what it takes to crack the starting lineup. If they let Biadasz walk, then they may look at drafting a premium Center prospect. They could also choose to bring back La’el Collins and let him compete at Guard, where he was always more suited to play than tackle.

The Cowboys are 5 deep at wide receiver, even after they let Gallup walk. They are 5 deep at tight end, plus they have a fullback. They have an All-Pro QB, a competent backup, and a young development player all signed through 2024.

The overhaul of the defense so they can be a good run defense is a whole other post. But defense has been the weakest point of failure for the Cowboys. Fortunately, Dan Quinn is likely to move on without having to be fired. The big question is how the defensive coaching staff will be revamped, and what is the plan to become strong up the middle - especially on the front 7.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is coming back then, if Jerry couldn't fire MM, he isn't going to do it to Quinn.
That’s likely true. They are going to replace assistant coaches. Which I hope that they replace the O-Line coach. Get some trench players and run it back. JJ will be very mad when Quinn still can’t stop the run.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
My thought process was if they are bringing the so called band back for another season, resigning Tyron to another 1 yr, incentive laden deal makes sense. Now that doesn't prevent them from drafting another future, starting tackle by any means. Believe the top priority is finding a high, level center.
Tyron was awesome at times this season but I really don’t know how much he has left. I think we have a scheme problem on the offensive line as it just appears teams are attacking us up the middle with blitzes and stunts. I think the offensive coordinator gets some of the blame because he was our run coordinator.

Jarntt

Reaction score
One, unless you pay CD a ridiculously low base salary and a small signing bonus, no, he won't get us under the cap. Per Over the Cap, we are $14 million OVER the cap. Looking at recent big WR contracts - Brown, Hill, Adams, the first year cap hits ranged from $6MM to $12MM. So even if you take the lowest first year cap number of $6M (AJ Brown), we'd only save around $11-12MM on the cap as Lamb has a cap hit of $17MM this year. So now, Lamb doesn't get us under the cap.

Two, Gallup as a June 1 means his cap savings can't be applied to the cap until June 1.

So even if you extend Lamb, restructure Diggs and dump Rush (little chance they dump Lance) you've got cap space of like $10-12 million, at best. They are going to have to restructure Dak.
I don't necessarily agree, but I'll use your number. What free agent can't be signed with a year 1 cap hit of $12M? You just pointed out Brown, Hill and Adams all could and those are superstars and I don't see us necessarily signing an All Pro at a premium position. Plus there is a lot of other maneuvering that can happen, including with Dak. If you know you are going to have a ton of savings after 6/1 you don't mind restructuring a bunch of guys to get there knowing that the savings will kick in and cover it. So even if you created dead money with a player you don't want for the long term but will keep next year you have the post 6/1 cap space to cover it

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree, but I'll use your number. What free agent can't be signed with a year 1 cap hit of $12M? You just pointed out Brown, Hill and Adams all could and those are superstars and I don't see us necessarily signing an All Pro at a premium position. Plus there is a lot of other maneuvering that can happen, including with Dak. If you know you are going to have a ton of savings after 6/1 you don't mind restructuring a bunch of guys to get there knowing that the savings will kick in and cover it. So even if you created dead money with a player you don't want for the long term but will keep next year you have the post 6/1 cap space to cover it
My number is accurate (as long as Over the Cap is accurate). Lamb doesn't get us in the black in cap space.

Restructuring other guys to just carry you to June when Gallup's cap savings comes, isn't a wise way to do things because it forces you to restructure guys you may not really want to restructure in the first place.

Plus, have their been any indications from Jerry that he doesn't want Dak to be the face of the franchise for the next 3-4 years?

I'll be stunned if he's not extended. I'll be stunned if we approach FA any differently than we have in the past.

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
I Saw MM Full Press Conf.

My Simple Take Was..What a Mess Mike Has To Deal With B/C Its Jerry's Own Doing..

But It Almost Felt Like Mike Inherited a Mess From a Previous Coach..Just Saying..

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st priority
OL coach.
2nd competition for Dak
3rd do not extend MM or Dak

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I agree with your post. I thought I saw a tweet saying Quinn is returning as well. I didn’t go into the thread. I see you left out LT. You trust the young tackles to develop? You’re being nice about Biaz. I actually think besides the offensive line scheme, he was the issue with the line.
#BiazHate

He’s solid. Look at RT if you want to hate someone on the OL.

jcollins28

Reaction score
When Frank McCourt was in the midst of running the Dodgers into the ground. I made a decision to stop caring. I didn’t change allegiance to teams. I just stopped caring about the Dodgers. I stopped going to games, stopped buying merchandise. Just stop any and all financial and emotional support. I did that for a good few years until thankfully he sold the team. This is now the time I do the same with Jerry and his clown show that he continues to run out with the predictable same results year after year.

JBS

Reaction score
First of all anything Bobby Belt reports inside the star is usually legitimate, he does have legitimate sources within the team and used to work with Jane Slater.

The majority expected MM to return before the playoffs and Dan Quinn to leave to become a HC. Nothing has changed, the good news for now is that MM didn't receive a contract extension which coaches usually do with 1 yr left on their deals. Also, Dak has yet to been extended. Hopefully, they will be tied together, either they succeed or both are gone in 2025. Both are truly on the "hot seat".

Jerry might force MM to get rid of some of his assistants, Solari, Peete, McCurley to name a few.

Who will they replace Dan Quinn when he most likely departs? Reports are saying a former HC rather then an assistant internally. This means a scheme change will take place. Cannot image major changes. Who is out there?

As for the roster, if you are keeping Dak for another season, you have to fix the run game, figure out the receiving core as basically it was just Lamb and a bunch of role players. Defensively, it starts with overhauling their run defense and finding another corner.

My three priority needs this offseason: Center (Biaz is nothing special), MLB, RB,CB,DE
As always , bang on. The only thing I will give a little bit of pushback on is the Dak situation. I’ll believe they don’t extend him when I see it. If they extend dak, it’ll be a massive mistake that will set this team back for years. Good luck carrying that 60M cap figure and improving this team. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. But the far better solution is to let his contract run out. But they’re too dumb to do that.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
As always , bang on. The only thing I will give a little bit of pushback on is the Dak situation. I’ll believe they don’t extend him when I see it. If they extend dak, it’ll be a massive mistake that will set this team back for years. Good luck carrying that 60M cap figure and improving this team. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. But the far better solution is to let his contract run out. But they’re too dumb to do that.
I agree, they are most likely going to extend him, however, it will depend on the dead money if they trade or release him in the future. Seahawks, Rams, Eagles all were able to get out of those contracts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tyron was awesome at times this season but I really don’t know how much he has left. I think we have a scheme problem on the offensive line as it just appears teams are attacking us up the middle with blitzes and stunts. I think the offensive coordinator gets some of the blame because he was our run coordinator.
You know it's not the Guards, it's our Center who is slightly above average. I really hope the replace Solari as this OL was pretty much the same as the prior year, but more healthy. The are going to have to replace both Tyron/Martin in the very near future, development is going to be vital.