Thoughts about MM Returning

Mannix

Reaction score
The real kick to BOTH ballz will be if Belichick winds up in Philadelphia...you know, the one team in your division that is serious about Super Bowls.

Sydla

Reaction score
Extending CeeDee alone will get us under the cap. Cutting Gallup as post 6/1 clears up space to help sign someone (remember the first year of a new deal always has a low cap hit). Restructuring Diggs saves about $8M. Rush or Lance is gone.
One, unless you pay CD a ridiculously low base salary and a small signing bonus, no, he won't get us under the cap. Per Over the Cap, we are $14 million OVER the cap. Looking at recent big WR contracts - Brown, Hill, Adams, the first year cap hits ranged from $6MM to $12MM. So even if you take the lowest first year cap number of $6M (AJ Brown), we'd only save around $11-12MM on the cap as Lamb has a cap hit of $17MM this year. So now, Lamb doesn't get us under the cap.

Two, Gallup as a June 1 means his cap savings can't be applied to the cap until June 1.

So even if you extend Lamb, restructure Diggs and dump Rush (little chance they dump Lance) you've got cap space of like $10-12 million, at best. They are going to have to restructure Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
This
To make a legitimate run we need a significant roster upgrade. To do that you are forced to extend Dak
Also who is coming here as DC if the HC is a lame duck? No one good

This is such an idiotic move by Jerry
I think when people say Jerry is hoping Quinn is back, they are right.

Exactly, what high profile DC would come here to coach for a HC who has one year left and the owner won't extend him? Jerry likely knows this which is why he hopes the guy he has under contract decides to come back.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter who Jerry selects as his HC (emphasis on who Jerry selects). Jerry wants to be "the guy." Been that way since Jimmy left the building.

He is not going to hire a HC who takes all the oxygen out of the room and is credited with any level of success achieved by the Cowboys.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Thinking outside of the box here.

Maybe this is the last season Jerry has before handing it over. And he wants to try one more time his way before Stephen takes over? I said this when Garrett was about to be not renewed. That Stephen would be picking the next coach. I think Jerry would have kept JG if he had the final say. Maybe this is Jerry's last go.
I have heard some rumblings that Stephen wanted to promote Quinn as the HC for next season. Let's hope that has been nixed. Stephen has run the team for several years now, outside of the so called big decisions like hiring the HC and probably making trades.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with your post. I thought I saw a tweet saying Quinn is returning as well. I didn’t go into the thread. I see you left out LT. You trust the young tackles to develop? You’re being nice about Biaz. I actually think besides the offensive line scheme, he was the issue with the line.
My thought process was if they are bringing the so called band back for another season, resigning Tyron to another 1 yr, incentive laden deal makes sense. Now that doesn't prevent them from drafting another future, starting tackle by any means. Believe the top priority is finding a high, level center.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is an issue with this.

The Cowboys are already over the cap. People keep citing all these needs - LB, OL, RB, etc. How you plan on doing that if you don't extend Dak and lower his cap hit?

The only other is to restructure other guys that probably shouldn't be restructured OR you start cutting players which likely creates another hole somewhere else.
It certainly challenging if they don't touch his contract, but still doable. As we all know, any upgrades are coming from the draft, which is cheap labor. As for getting under the cap, they can always adjust contracts like they always do and release fringe players to create space. For example, Diggs new deal and a player like Gallup who creates 4 million. There are others out there as well.

With all this being said, still believe they are going to do something with Dak's contract as it is so restrictive to their cap. Maybe a short extension that frees some money up and still allows them to get out of the contract.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think a better question is who's willing to work for a lame-duck HC? Probably the bottom-tier guys........of course Jerry can change that and give the new DC a 3 year deal. It would be odd though
That's why, it has to be an internal option who is still under contract. Don't rule out Quinn just yet. Now, the entire fan base doesn't like any of this, but we aren't the ones making the decisions.

Plankton

Reaction score
If there was ever a time to consider blowing it up, this is it. Cap situation isn't great, and it's all tied to the QB. Head coach is in the final year of his contract. The draft pick kitty is short for this draft.

To me, I would either trade or cut the QB (paying Prescott an AAV of 50M is not conducive to winning), trade off guys who are not part of the long term success of the team, and gear up for the future. The Cowboys are going to double and triple down on this roster, which is a mistake. Nothing will improve, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I dont believe McCarthy has the locker room as being "reported". That team flat out quit on Sunday. Accordions fold harder than than that. The last 16 points the team scored were after GB let off the gas and went prevent. 48 to 16 is a more accurate picture. Mind boggling to run it back.
They have quit numerous times throughout the yr, poor decision to bring him back.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We have a lot of amazing coaches available now, but we're not going to get them because Jerrah needs to 'ride with his boy'. If we have another disappointing year, which is highly likely, then watch Ceedee and Parsons book
It's his ego, unwilling to own up that he made a mistake.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not surprised or disappointed MM is coming back. But I think 2024 will be it for him.

I would have been surprised and delighted if Jerry announced Jim Harbaugh is coming to Dallas to be the HC, but I am used to not getting nice things from Jerry. It is like a mini-free agent season involving coaches. We don't get any quality free agents either.

I will be majorly disappointed if Quinn comes back and I am afraid that is exactly what is going to happen. I don't think Quinn is going to get a HC job anywhere. I think the Packers game ended the Quinn hysteria. Of course, maybe some organization chooses to believe the problems in Dallas were not Quinn's fault and they sign him anyway, but the way the defense played against the Packers was indescribably bad. Disarray is insufficient to describe what we saw last Sunday. Who would take a chance of that coming to their own team? I guess we'll find out.

If Quinn comes back, then I think the chances of this defense becoming anything other than what it is now are zero.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This
To make a legitimate run we need a significant roster upgrade. To do that you are forced to extend Dak
Also who is coming here as DC if the HC is a lame duck? No one good

This is such an idiotic move by Jerry
You are right, nobody is coming here with a lame duck HC. Expect the worst and see Quinn return.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am not surprised or disappointed MM is coming back. But I think 2024 will be it for him.

I would have been surprised and delighted if Jerry announced Jim Harbaugh is coming to Dallas to be the HC, but I am used to not getting nice things from Jerry. It is like a mini-free agent season involving coaches. We don't get any quality free agents either.

I will be majorly disappointed if Quinn comes back and I am afraid that is exactly what is going to happen. I don't think Quinn is going to get a HC job anywhere. I think the Packers game ended the Quinn hysteria. Of course, maybe some organization chooses to believe the problems in Dallas were not Quinn's fault and they sign him anyway, but the way the defense played against the Packers was indescribably bad. Disarray is insufficient to describe what we saw last Sunday. Who would take a chance of that coming to their own team? I guess we'll find out.

If Quinn comes back, then I think the chances of this defense becoming anything other than what it is now are zero.
Question is has the offense/defense improved over the last 4 seasons? Pretty much the same, maybe marginally better. Expect the same results. This just shows that Jerry and his family are inept running this franchise.