Thoughts about MM Returning

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That’s likely true. They are going to replace assistant coaches. Which I hope that they replace the O-Line coach. Get some trench players and run it back. JJ will be very mad when Quinn still can’t stop the run.
OL coach, running back coach and linebacker coach all needs to go! Look how the linebackers played this yr compared to prior years when the former Viking DC was here.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I have heard some rumblings that Stephen wanted to promote Quinn as the HC for next season. Let's hope that has been nixed. Stephen has run the team for several years now, outside of the so called big decisions like hiring the HC and probably making trades.
Stephen will be a disaster as CEO/GM.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I expected McCarthy to return, and fully support his return. He has the best results since Jimmy Johnson (excluding Barry Switzer) as a head coach for the Cowboys. He’s earned more time.

On the other hand, Dan Quinn’s defense collapsed completely in 4 games this season against the Cardinals, Niners, Bills, and Packers. Then, when it counted most in the last 2 minutes against the Dolphins, the defense failed again. Big changes are needed in defense.

But the offense just needs some tweaking and player development. Other than the Running Back position, the Cowboys may already have the players they need at the skill positions and on the Oline to move forward into the future. The Cowboys have a room full of developing Olinemen who may or may not be ready to replace Tyron Smith and Zack Martin, both of whom are likely to retire either this year or next. We need to find out if Waletzko, Bass, Richards, Ball, Bostick and Hoffman have what it takes to crack the starting lineup. If they let Biadasz walk, then they may look at drafting a premium Center prospect. They could also choose to bring back La’el Collins and let him compete at Guard, where he was always more suited to play than tackle.

The Cowboys are 5 deep at wide receiver, even after they let Gallup walk. They are 5 deep at tight end, plus they have a fullback. They have an All-Pro QB, a competent backup, and a young development player all signed through 2024.

The overhaul of the defense so they can be a good run defense is a whole other post. But defense has been the weakest point of failure for the Cowboys. Fortunately, Dan Quinn is likely to move on without having to be fired. The big question is how the defensive coaching staff will be revamped, and what is the plan to become strong up the middle - especially on the front 7.
In my opinion, they have a ton of needs on both sides:

RB, C, LT, G, WR
DE/DT, LB, CB

No that isn't possible in 1 offseason and some are more depth roles, but a ton of holes.

JBS

Reaction score
I agree, they are most likely going to extend him, however, it will depend on the dead money if they trade or release him in the future. Seahawks, Rams, Eagles all were able to get out of those contracts.
Most of the beat guys seem to think an extension isn’t happening. That’s the only saving grace I have at the moment. But I still don’t believe it. That’s going to be the dagger for this fan base.

Surfguy

Reaction score
It’s okay with me as long as many players’ heads roll cause they left their hearts in San Francisco.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
First of all anything Bobby Belt reports inside the star is usually legitimate, he does have legitimate sources within the team and used to work with Jane Slater.

The majority expected MM to return before the playoffs and Dan Quinn to leave to become a HC. Nothing has changed, the good news for now is that MM didn't receive a contract extension which coaches usually do with 1 yr left on their deals. Also, Dak has yet to been extended. Hopefully, they will be tied together, either they succeed or both are gone in 2025. Both are truly on the "hot seat".

Jerry might force MM to get rid of some of his assistants, Solari, Peete, McCurley to name a few.

Who will they replace Dan Quinn when he most likely departs? Reports are saying a former HC rather then an assistant internally. This means a scheme change will take place. Cannot image major changes. Who is out there?

As for the roster, if you are keeping Dak for another season, you have to fix the run game, figure out the receiving core as basically it was just Lamb and a bunch of role players. Defensively, it starts with overhauling their run defense and finding another corner.

My three priority needs this offseason: Center (Biaz is nothing special), MLB, RB,CB,DE
3 moves that have to be meant before this organization can move forward: Move on from MM, DQ and Dakota " TOAD HUNTER" Prescot!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Most of the beat guys seem to think an extension isn’t happening. That’s the only saving grace I have at the moment. But I still don’t believe it. That’s going to be the dagger for this fan base.
I wrote a response today that it would be very challenging to not touch Dak's current contract, but it is doable. However, it will really make it tough to improve the roster.

Reactions: JBS

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry as the Owner/GM is no longer capable of putting together a world championship team. I doubt Stephen's ability to do that without his dad. So after Jerry is gone, I hope Stephen is smart enough to just be an owner and hires a GM. Unfortunately, Jerry has groomed Stephen to be the next Owner/GM of the Cowboys.

glimmerman

Reaction score
OL coach, running back coach and linebacker coach all needs to go! Look how the linebackers played this yr compared to prior years when the former Viking DC was here.
Very true LB coach gone also…

Jarntt

Reaction score
My number is accurate (as long as Over the Cap is accurate). Lamb doesn't get us in the black in cap space.

Restructuring other guys to just carry you to June when Gallup's cap savings comes, isn't a wise way to do things because it forces you to restructure guys you may not really want to restructure in the first place.

Plus, have their been any indications from Jerry that he doesn't want Dak to be the face of the franchise for the next 3-4 years?

I'll be stunned if he's not extended. I'll be stunned if we approach FA any differently than we have in the past.
Then you'll also be "stunned" if next year ends any differently than the last "fill in # of your choice" seasons did