CFZ Thoughts about today's win!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
McGovern was on skates in pass protection. Farniok was too which led to the blocked FG. Peters has been solid at LG.
I saw Tyler Smith get beat a few times today.

Cowboys left side is still adjusting, which is hard to do without any continuity.

The LG rotation is just more Philbin foolishness.

While right side of OL has been lights out with Zack and Steele.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They catch us trying to get the DE upfield and they miss or get blocked or held and the rb slips by and they get the edge. Drive me nuts all day. We need to be doing it. Instead we run up the gut into stacked boxes all day. I saw several holding calls on our Defense yesterday that was not called. But not complaining we got a few ticky tack calls that usually go against us.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Cowboys left side is still adjusting, which is hard to do without any continuity.

The LG rotation is just more Philbin foolishness.

While right side of OL has been lights out with Zack and Steele.
Yeah. Still wish philibin was gone. If Peters can go then I would have him in and rotate others in here and there. McGovern is a drop off.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LOL, just take your L.

Ill take my W thank you.

Zeke 19 carries for 48 yards and a 2 ypc average for 18 million. Thats called nailing it!!!

For the year:

Zeke is averaging a pathetic 3.8 ypc after 4 games. Pollard a respectable 4.8 ypc after 4 games.

Ill take another W!! Thanks for playing. :flagwave::grin::yourock:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
-20 points is the benchmark, with a strong defense and good special teams they will win many games if the offense reaches this number.

Offense

-Cowboys couldn't run the football what so ever but they stayed with it and got a few big plays off play action. OL really struggled, but to be fair, Washington's interior is very talented and good. OL did well in the penalty department.

-Rush got away with two bad interceptions due to penalties by Washington's Defense. I thought this was his worst game out of the three, but a lot has to due how well they played defense against us.

-Gallup was a huge factor in today's victory. Big 3rd down conversion, TD before half and drew a long penalty. Lamb had another strong outing, most important no dropped passes.

-Shultz is hurting this team more then helping it, thought our TE play was much better last week.

Defense

-Defense had a lot of struggles stopping the run again, especially in the 1st half. Washington used the same runs that TB had success with on the outside. This is an area of concern.

-Pass rush was very solid, but I expect more from this group. Parsons still doesn't look the same since the Cincy game. He is still affecting throws, but not flashing as much. Fowler another strong game.

-Diggs had a very strong game defending a legitimate top WR. The 2 fourth quarter pass breakups ended the game. We have two legitimate playmakers on this unit, don't forget about Diggs. By the way, Lewis might not see his job when he returns, thought Bland played real well, which including a game sealing interception.

Special Teams

-Maher was very consistent once again and he probably saved 2 points with his tackle in that blocked extra point.
-They almost blocked another FG.
-Anger had that poor punt when field position was paramount.

Cowboys couldn't run the football...........this was the game plan of wash, stop the run make rush beat them passing, and he did.

Good grind out win, but now the schedule gets harder the next 2 weeks on the road against top competition, who knows if Dak returns in that span and how he performs after the layoff.
good post, I thought shultz looked not ready, but you know jerry, he wants starters back in as soon as possible lol.
They would have done better with one of the other 2 TE who have played well.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ill take my W thank you.

Zeke 19 carries for 48 yards and a 2 ypc average for 18 million. Thats called nailing it!!!

For the year:

Zeke is averaging a pathetic 3.8 ypc after 4 games. Pollard a respectable 4.8 ypc after 4 games.

my main gripe, was too much zeke not enough pollard, and all runs were into middle of line, nothing outside.
Heck first half, I think pollard was not even in the game lol.
But wash was going all out to stop the run, that was their game plan.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LOL, just take your L.

Oh yah...........and Lamb being the highest graded player on offense?

Thank you, Ill take ANOTHER W!!

Steele being highly graded and not missing Collins? Wow..............ANOTHER W!!!

Wait...............Brown being highly graded and NOT missing Amari Cooper? ANOTHER W!!!!! LOL

You dont hold a candle to me my friend. Im just too good at this football stuff for you to keep up.

quickccc

Reaction score
-20 points is the benchmark, with a strong defense and good special teams they will win many games if the offense reaches this number.

Offense

-Cowboys couldn't run the football what so ever but they stayed with it and got a few big plays off play action. OL really struggled, but to be fair, Washington's interior is very talented and good. OL did well in the penalty department.

-Rush got away with two bad interceptions due to penalties by Washington's Defense. I thought this was his worst game out of the three, but a lot has to due how well they played defense against us.

-Gallup was a huge factor in today's victory. Big 3rd down conversion, TD before half and drew a long penalty. Lamb had another strong outing, most important no dropped passes.

-Shultz is hurting this team more then helping it, thought our TE play was much better last week.

Good grind out win, but now the schedule gets harder the next 2 weeks on the road against top competition, who knows if Dak returns in that span and how he performs after the layoff.

OFFENSE

-
Cooper Rush noodle arm and all, is willing to take deep vertical shots downfield, .the ball may float and hang too long, but he’s being selective occasionally to throw it deep
and challenge teams, and he’s making the opposing secondaries work and strain and work the entire field , instead of just dinks and dunks.
* I expect Dak to be the same thang’ with pushing the ball vertically downfield ,upon his returns. (more to come later on this )

- I think the coaches have simplified the pass scheme for C-Rush, I don’t think the WRs are being given as many option routes and complexity, if it’s a go-route, finish it out as a fly/go.
They are not asking him to do a lot of play action roll outs as he’s not that fleet or mobile, and it may be discomfort. Scheme and package him to what he does best.

- Very little catch contribution from the TEs this week. Maybe the knee issue is still bothersome to Dalton Schultz ? Assuming so, he needs to be gradual worked back into the lineup
behind Ferguson. His edge in-line was always suspect and flawed - even when healthy.

- Gallup’s presence instantly made it a huge difference. As he twice drew big PI flags vs CB Willie Jackson. Gallup instantly brought vertical, deep field dimension.
And he’s another that seem to have a rapport with the QBs whether Dak or Coop.

- Are opposing teams so more keying in on Pollard due to his potential explosiveness ? As soon as he’s seen in backfield, they overcommit and pounce on him quickly.
With Zeke, they figure he is gonna used more per pass game blitz-block - so they won't fear or take him as serious a threat ?

- Wash has an underwhelming secondary, and we took advantage- between Lamb, Gallup and even Noah, they all had major impact and game breaking plays.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
my main gripe, was too much zeke not enough pollard, and all runs were into middle of line, nothing outside.

Nice to see a team try to stop the run for once. Yes, I also noticed the lack of outside runs. And certainly getting sporadic runs here and there doesnt help a back. Not that getting lots of carries helps Zeke sadly.

But Pollard had a bad game. Didnt make any plays. Looked very Zeke like out there. He deserves to hear about it. If Pollard played like that often I wouldnt be behind him like I am.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
On the OL, I wonder if the idea is to prepare both Peters and McGovern for the inevitable rookie "wall" for Smith? Yes, I know JP and CM are rotating at LG, but if Smith does hit a wall, JP moves to LT and CM remains at LG.

quickccc

Reaction score

- I'm thinking when teams see Pollard immediately in the backfield, they are obviously target-keyed upon him as he's for certain gonna run the ball, they will chance overcommitting
upon him because he's a huge potential threat to break it big ..

- Since Kellen does not/will not design him as a receiving threat, it's just too obvious that he's gonna be rushing the ball.
It's far more easily to key and pounce upon him early for tackles-losses. It's more easy to guess Pollard out .

- When Zeke is in, they know he's a blitz blocker, and not a breaking threat as Pollard, they will gamble and chance him being in the lineup.
They are willing to chance a plodding, methodical run , vs a Pollard breaking a 40 yard splash plays.

- Kellen makes RBs too obvious and we're not developed, and schemed in other areas to make up the difference elsewhere.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Oh yah...........and Lamb being the highest graded player on offense?

Thank you, Ill take ANOTHER W!!

Steele being highly graded and not missing Collins? Wow..............ANOTHER W!!!

Wait...............Brown being highly graded and NOT missing Amari Cooper? ANOTHER W!!!!! LOL

You dont hold a candle to me my friend. Im just too good at this football stuff for you to keep up.

You're ridiculously bad at the football stuff.

CeeDee put up almost 100 yards and a TD. He was fantastic vs WAS. You're really complaining about Lamb and Noah Brown now too????

And Steele has been the highest graded OL the last 4 weeks. Cowboys absolutely do not miss Collins who was used like a turnstile by Parsons the other week.

Take your L and be happy because the Cowboys are winning.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Zeke averaged almost 3 ypc (2.6) vs stout WAS front 7.

Same front 7 that stifled TP to less than 1 ypc (0.8 to be exact).

And salaries mean nothing once the game is being played.

You really are a lost cause, basic reasoning and acceptance completely escapes you.

Ill take my W thank you.

For the year:

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Against the good teams, 20 points and settling for FG in redzone will not be enough.

Commanders are far from a good team.
We would be 4-0 if we score 20 in every game this year. Oh yeah I forgot TB and Cincy are not good teams.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
We would be 4-0 if we score 20 in every game this year. Oh yeah I forgot TB and Cincy are not good teams.

Cincy is proving to not be a good team.

But Cowboys defense is for real, I actually underestimated how good pass rush has been even if Micah not 100%.

And secondary has also been lights out, even short handed.

rambo2

Reaction score
Cincy is proving to not be a good team.

But Cowboys defense is for real, I actually underestimated how good pass rush has been even if Micah not 100%.

And secondary has also been lights out, even short handed.
They loaded up on the dline position to be able to rotate in fresh pass rushers and they were wise to do so. They were wise to sign Fowler and draft Sam Williams.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ill take my W thank you.

For the year:

Yeah I will take the win. Pollard less than 1 yard per yesterday. They stacked the box and kept running both right into them. 0 effort running Pollard off tackle or neither RB for sweeps, tosses or pitch plays.

quickccc

Reaction score

Defense

-Defense had a lot of struggles stopping the run again, especially in the 1st half. Washington used the same runs that TB had success with on the outside. This is an area of concern.

-Pass rush was very solid, but I expect more from this group. Parsons still doesn't look the same since the Cincy game. He is still affecting throws, but not flashing as much. Fowler another strong game.

-Diggs had a very strong game defending a legitimate top WR. The 2 fourth quarter pass breakups ended the game. We have two legitimate playmakers on this unit, don't forget about Diggs. By the way, Lewis might not see his job when he returns, thought Bland played real well, which including a game sealing interception.

DEFENSE

- Whether Marinelli, …Mike Nolan,… or Dan Quinn, this team has not et become a formidable run defense. What gives ?

Here’s a double edge sword. This team has yet to surrender over 20 points in a game, and that includes Brady and Burrows.

- Yet every team we’ve faced thus far has ran for 100 yards, ..that flaw and weakness rears its’ ugly head, .. as it did in the Niners playoff loss,
and it’s gonna threaten to do so again several more times this reg and playoff time.

- I’m wonder how much is it scheme-related , and how much of it is a lack of player personnel ? .. so far it looks like it’s more vulnerable vs edges.

The previous QBs running up the middle for gulps of scrambled rush yards, added the rushing yards stats even more so, but also check the opposing RBs avp.
But vs Wash, it wasn’t the QB, asWentz is so beaten up in physical decline, that he has lost that threat.. Comm's RBs just zapped us on the edges.

- Later part of 3rd and basically 4th Q, we seem to get settled vs run, and got stops and tackles for losses.

I wonder if the scheme is so nickel based and DB loaded, and such pass rush mode that opposing teams sees flaws and will test us vs run,
... or is it the ends, LBs that are not shedding and making plays at the edge, or line ?

- I’ll make do with LVE until we can do better. Get someone better, I don’t think he sheds fast enuff, well enuff to defend the edges, and misdirection has always gave him fits

- Seems like the pass rush with Parsons, DLaw, Armstrong, Fowler ..and the nickel scheme with 3 safeties, is gonna give teams the most fits.
The run defense is gonna be a challenge to us the most. I’m interested in teams using more no huddle vs our packages -will that be the Rams ?

- Because we had issues with the run, i think that helped take some rush heat off Wentz. Otherwise why not more sacks than Eagles ?
Gallimore had a big sack, but I wanted more from DT rush. Blitzers were getting a beam on Wentz as well. Wash has one of the more subpar OLs in NFL.

quickccc

Reaction score
Special Teams

-Maher was very consistent once again and he probably saved 2 points with his tackle in that blocked extra point.
-They almost blocked another FG.
-Anger had that poor punt when field position was paramount.

SPECIAL TEAMS

- Cowboys special teams had the worst game of year
- with a blocked extra Pts,
- Anger had a very rare shanked punt.
- And Turpin made one punt error near goal line pin and couldm't get loose
- per Wash punter's odd style of left foot punting that went sidelines or un-returnable .

But coverage still very solid – including a big hit stop by “ captain “ Kelvin Jospeh and Goodwin.. and Maurer made a couple of key FGs.

Zero KO returns per a strong KO leg, Brett M is still having a very solid year.

- BWT, For a change, the opposing team had a ton of flags and penalties, while we had very few, even the illegal motion vs center Tyler B. was pure BS goof by officials.