Thoughts on Bland?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could he be a safety? Or is he just a guy that possesses some traits but not good enough at any spot?
I had that thought while watching the game.

Playing the ball at the point of arrival is his issue.
- He does everything else reasonably.
- He appears to know what to do within the scheme.
- He comes up to play the run.
- His speed is ok for a big CB.

Developing that skill takes a lot of reps.
- The problem is that it's difficult for a developmental player to get reps in real games.
- Occasionally it happens such as OT Steele's rookie season, but generally reps are non-existent for a 5th CB.

Awuzie had a good season last year with the Bengals, but what's the point of developing a player if they're a free agent by the time they're good.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Joseph started slowly last night but played better overall than Bland did IMO. Both were better than Wright.

Yeah Joseph gave up the one catch early on the crossing route where he got caught up in the traffic but after that I don't recall him giving up much of anything and he had two very solid PBUs. Of course people who hate him because he's a rapper and because he was in that car will refuse to have seen any good play from him. Something that did jump off the screen a couple of times was how fast he is. There were a couple of plays where the runner was ahead of him and he snatched him in a few strides. I knew he was fast but it was good to see him playing fast.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah Joseph gave up the one catch early on the crossing route where he got caught up in the traffic but after that I don't recall him giving up much of anything and he had two very solid PBUs. Of course people who hate him because he's a rapper and because he was in that car will refuse to have seen any good play from him. Something that did jump off the screen a couple of times was how fast he is. There were a couple of plays where the runner was ahead of him and he snatched him in a few strides. I knew he was fast but it was good to see him playing fast.
While I didn't like the draft pick due to outside crapp, Joseph is way too talented to give up on right away. He's by far our most talented DB.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
While I didn't like the draft pick due to outside crapp, Joseph is way too talented to give up on right away. He's by far our most talented DB.

You misspelled "Trevon Diggs".

Joseph is so overrated just because he was former 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Daron Bland seems on the right track to help this team produce a better secondary than it's had for a while now. Here's hoping he'll continue to be the improving secondary player that we've needed for so long. It's early yet but if he keeps developing his skills, good things will come. Here's hoping he'll do just that. The signs say that's entirely possible if he keeps working hard enough. The best ones don't get discouraged after getting beat. So far, he hasn't. Good luck in making that continue to occur. His consistency for a rookie is extremely rare. It's very encouraging. :)

Bland will end up being a baller. I gotta be honest. I want to see Mukuamu on the field in certain situations, too.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Good point BAT!!!!

Meant to say "good DBs are gold".

And speaking of Bland, he has a lot of same traits as Diggs when ball in the air.

And at 6'2 200 with 4.42 speed his versatility and success making plays defending slot, boundary and centerfield is extremely valuable.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Meant to say "good DBs are gold".

And speaking of Bland, he has a lot of same traits as Diggs when ball in the air.

And at 6'2 200 with 4.42 speed his versatility and success making plays defending slot, boundary and centerfield is extremely valuable.

Hope he pans out...

Reactions: BAT

Ekspozed

Reaction score
I like Bland and what I've seen from him and hope he keeps developing. He has all of the athletic ability and has shown ability in tc and preseason.
Hopefully he turns out to be a late round gem.
Based on his current play and upside, he makes the team.

Reactions: BAT

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Bland was OK last night.

If I'm being honest, Wright wasn't as bad as some are making it seem. On the biggest play he gave up, it was borderline offensive PI. I think most refs let that go, but the WR did grab his shirt. And like the score on KJ in the first game, that throw was so on the money it'd be hard for any defender to get his hands on.

That QB, Charles Stick, is pretty good.

kskboys

Reaction score
You misspelled "Trevon Diggs".

Joseph is so overrated just because he was former 2nd round pick.
You missed the word "talented".

That doesn't mean he'll ever utilize that talent, but there is quite often a monster of a difference between talent level and play on the field. Jo is more talented than Diggs, and it's not close. Diggs is the better player, and that's not close.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I had that thought while watching the game.

Playing the ball at the point of arrival is his issue.
- He does everything else reasonably.
- He appears to know what to do within the scheme.
- He comes up to play the run.
- His speed is ok for a big CB.

Developing that skill takes a lot of reps.
- The problem is that it's difficult for a developmental player to get reps in real games.
- Occasionally it happens such as OT Steele's rookie season, but generally reps are non-existent for a 5th CB.

Awuzie had a good season last year with the Bengals, but what's the point of developing a player if they're a free agent by the time they're good.
Just getting back in the Loop X been away for a few, so thank you for posting this you were reading my mind while away.
Very interested in how quickly Bland and others but Bland specifically in this reference, seems to have found a niche possibly, but several in this secondary are getting interesting and deep.
Q has some Bells and some Balls roaming around for sure to play with :D, this secondary is gaining ground quickly.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I fully admit I fell asleep early. I saw the TD drive and 2 point conversion and that was it but how did Bland play?

I saw him get beat early but didn’t see much else after

I saw enough of Wright to know I’m not sure I want him on roster. CB to me is more of a position of concern than I felt coming into camp

Diggs is the best but certainly not Deion , Joseph may not even make roster .
Would expect they find a way to retain Wright, but that bubble is big this season.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Thats what TC and Pre-Season is all about, evaluation and identifying who is stepping up, and Bland has definitely been staking his claim.
Im just catching up so this was a nice feed. :starspin: