Thoughts on Carl Davis? Or, how bout Quinton Bohanna if he isn't protected by the Lions?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Their run defense is ranked 18th. Our Cowboys run defense is ranked 13th. Their run defense is average and just slightly behind ours concerning stopping the run. Their pass protection defense is what truly stinks being ranked 28th. That is Their weakness, not the run defense.
There run defense is ranked in the middle tier because teams can do what want through the air. When teams have run on Washington, they have been able to gash them. Their run defense is very bad.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Disagree.

Ridgeway has contributed more as a rookie last year and even this year as a sophomore than Mazi has for us this rookie year. One can try to spin it however they want, their stats speak the truth. Go look them up. Ridgeway has been more productive than Mazi has so far. Mazi was running over our Offensive line every day in training camp this year, yet once the regular season started, that training camp Mazi disappeared.
John Ridgeway is the lowest rated defensive tackle on PFF for this entire season.

I don't think he is exactly a needle mover.

Bohanna and Ridgeway are both garbage that you can replace with UDFAs every offseason.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, so how many tackles overall does each have?

CAREER:

Ridgeway: 542 snaps --- 47 tackles --- 0 tackles for loss --- 0 QB hits
Bohanna: 561 snaps --- 35 tackles --- 3 tackles for loss --- 1 QB hit

Doesn't seem like a whole heck of a lot of difference.

Plus, there are other factors for an interior D-Lineman not measured by stats, such as clogging running lanes or collapsing the pocket. My guess is there isn't much difference there either

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
CAREER:

Plus, there are other factors for an interior D-Lineman not measured by stats, such as clogging running lanes or collapsing the pocket. My guess is there isn't much difference there either
You left out 1 forced fumble, 2 passes defended, plus 1.5 stuffs by Ridgeway.

How convenient you left that out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You left out 1 forced fumble, 2 passes defended, plus 1.5 stuffs by Ridgeway.

How convenient you left that out.
You asked about tackles. I gave you the stats. Now you're pretending you asked about something else.

Regardless, those things don't make a dramatic difference anyway. Bohanna has 2 QB pressures & Ridgeway one. Does that matter?

Ultimately, you're taking tiny stat differences as if they have great meaning - except when that tiny difference favors Bohana.

I didn't try to suggest Bohanna having a few more tackles for loss was a significant point of difference, but you don't appear to be so rational

BTW , where do you get stats for "stuffs". I've never seen that

Last edited:

1942willys

Reaction score
CAREER:

I agree that there is little difference between the two. and I think little reason to bring back Bohanna. He has had enough time in the NFL to at least show something and he has not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that there is little difference between the two. and I think little reason to bring back Bohanna. He has had enough time in the NFL to at least show something and he has not.
Agreed. Neither player is a difference maker - both just depth in a rotation without the talent to be more than that

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
Agreed. Neither player is a difference maker - both just depth in a rotation without the talent to be more than that
Boom, exactly. Ruing Ridgeway is like wishing we held onto Chris Covington or Brandon Knight.

Loso86

Reaction score
Davis is a 30 yr old vet who actually had had a few hundred snaps the last couple of years in New England. Slightly taller and heavier measurements than Hankins. It's an addition that makes a lot of sense.

Then again, Isaiah Stanback proposed today that Bohanna might be worth considering. Been on the Lions PS this season, got some snaps in a few games fairly recently, and of course, was a starter here for a chunk of last season. Might not have a chance to add him since you can protect 4 players on PS each week, and Lions might decide to take that option.

But just on the merits, which do you feel better about helping in Hankins' absence. God-honest question. Not a comment posing as a question.
QB is on the active roster

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Panic over DT Hankins and an ankle sprain which will keep him out a few weeks. The big 3 DL only get about 50-60 snaps per game shared between Hankins/Gallimore/Smith. Davis is on the PS. Osi and Gholston can add some snaps too.

Gallimore and Mazi Smith will increase their snaps and we probably see a little more of Osi and Gholston in the middle.

Bohanna? I didn’t even know he was still in the league.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You asked about tackles. I gave you the stats. Now you're pretending you asked about something else.

Regardless, those things don't make a dramatic difference anyway. Bohanna has 2 QB pressures & Ridgeway one. Does that matter?

Ultimately, you're taking tiny stat differences as if they have great meaning - except when that tiny difference favors Bohana.

I didn't try to suggest Bohanna having a few more tackles for loss was a significant point of difference, but you don't appear to be so rational

BTW , where do you get stats for "stuffs". I've never seen that
https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4248047/john-ridgeway