Thoughts on contract extension numbers for Romo...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sounds good WG

and YoMick, all indications from Jerry are that Romo has done enough to convince him that he'll be good in this league, he's going to get his money

baj1dallas

Reaction score
YoMick;1384457 said:
I dont think he should get any kind of mega contract... I mean... look at the end of the season... at times he looked every bit the part of an undrafted QB.... then he showed some great playmaking ability... the more he was gameplanned... the less productive he was... that is reality...

I am hoping for him to progress but I could see him regress with his ability... I am just not sold...

He should get a nice fair deal.... not a comparable deal to other QB's that have "seasons" under their belt....

I sort of agree with you, it may be early to give the guy a 6 year $35M+ type contract. You can work on it next season too after making sure that you're convinced he's your starter for the future. If he starts slowly and has a slow first month you might regret mortgaging your future on him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
baj1dallas;1384553 said:
I sort of agree with you, it may be early to give the guy a 6 year $35M+ type contract. You can work on it next season too after making sure that you're convinced he's your starter for the future. If he starts slowly and has a slow first month you might regret mortgaging your future on him.
There's nothing wrong with that concern. I'm just looking at it based on Jerry's comments which make me believe he isn't going to wait before trying to do a deal.

It wouldn't bother me the least bit, if he chooses to let Romo play out the contract. But if he does wait and plays lights out, then the number's only going to go higher.

But the argument about Romo giving the Cowboys a hometown discount is just not realistic. And the Cowboys shouldn't expect one unless Romo was representing himself...and he's not.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1384546 said:
sounds good WG

and YoMick, all indications from Jerry are that Romo has done enough to convince him that he'll be good in this league, he's going to get his money

If that is your defense... "indication from Jerry" - the football expert with zero players left(Parcells dumped just about all of Jerry's draft picks) from the years he was drafting with his HC puppets....

So Jerry is an expert and he has seen enough already..... oh boy...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that if we can sign Romo to a longer contract, we should. Six years would only put Romo at 32. He would still be well within his prime at that point. To sign him then would probably be very expensive. If we can sign him longer term, I would be in favor of it or better yet, perhaps write a deal for 6 with option years.

As for cost, I don't think 30 million will get it done. I think Romo is going to be in the 10 million per season area. If you assume 6 years with an option, that's probably 60 Million with signing bonus of perhaps 10 to 15. Just guessing but that's what I'd expect to see.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;1384573 said:
If that is your defense... "indication from Jerry" - the football expert with zero players left(Parcells dumped just about all of Jerry's draft picks) from the years he was drafting with his HC puppets....

So Jerry is an expert and he has seen enough already..... oh boy...

you're arguing whether Romo is going to get a nice-sized deal or not

who is the guy who hands out the paychecks?

rcaldw

Reaction score
windward;1384402 said:
I honestly wouldn't be shocked with either scenario.

In your sig pic, why is Wade Phillip's left eye lower than his right eye?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1384612 said:
you're arguing whether Romo is going to get a nice-sized deal or not

who is the guy who hands out the paychecks?

actually not really "arguing" per say... just throwing out some thoughts.... seems some have selectively blocked out how bad he was.. when he was bad is all...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
rcaldw;1384620 said:

The actress Shannon Doherty has the same thing.... one eye socket is lower than the other.... she is often tilting her head and wearing her hair to balance he face out...

superpunk

Reaction score
YoMick;1384623 said:
actually not really "arguing" per say... just throwing out some thoughts.... seems some have selectively blocked out how bad he was.. when he was bad is all...

His "bad" was not terrible, though. His bad was alot like Bledsoe in 05, where he was running his life, yet still managed respectability with his stats in our system, only looked bad when you factored in the sacks and fumbles. I think over Romo's rough stretch his rating was still something like 84, his carelessness with the ball was unacceptable, tho.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
YoMick;1384623 said:

I think that the point can be argued that some have selectively blocked out the fact that he was in his first year of starting. He is only going to get better. I think that's a fair statement regardless of how you view this. When he gets better, it's going to mean, a higher completion percentage then 65. It's going to mean a better QB rating then 95. It's going to mean more yards then 3000, more TDs then 19, Fewer INTs then 13 and a YPA better then 8.1. That's not too bad IMO. That represents a franchise type QB. We, of all people, should understand how difficult it is to find that kind of QB and how important it is to have one of those in order to win championships consistantly.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
rcaldw;1384620 said:

How come in ABQCOWBOY's sig it says this?

"Two kinds of ball players aren't work a darn.

What is "work a darn"....?

:D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;1384623 said:
I wasn't debating performance. I was focused on his potential contract.

Romo does have some things to work on. Particularly his slow starts in games. For all the heroic things I've been impressed with in the latter part of games, I'm more disturbed that he needs to be heroic at the end of the game. His play in the pro bowl was the same way.

However, it doesn't mean he won't get his payday.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
5Stars;1384633 said:
How come in ABQCOWBOY's sig it says this?

"Two kinds of ball players aren't work a darn.

What is "work a darn"....?

:D

That's my add for Hooked on Phonics Baby!

You interested?

:laugh2:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;1384523 said:
You seem to be letting this guy off the hook.... he was really bad at times... many were concerned... he is loose(very loose) with the ball and made really bad passes that were INT'd or were almost INT'd..... I want the best out of this guy... I hope he is the one.... but what happened, happened... he looked really bad towards the end...

He would roll the dice? I didnt know that... BUT... if he thinks he can just go to any team and be successful... I think he is too high on himself.... he has GREAT weapons here.... not many teams have as many as we do (Witten, Glenn, TO, Barber) and other youg'uns....

I never had the guy on a hook. I think he was great. He far exceeded my expectations, and at the end of the year, when he had problems I largely thought they weren't his fault. Now, I agree he can be careless with the ball, and he definitely has things to work on, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's the next long-term Dallas QB. I think we're very lucky to have him and should pay him accordingly.

As far as rolling the dice goes, I'm referring to the fact that he's already rolled them: electing to go for a single-year extension last offseason rather than signing a longer deal. He's certainly outplayed expectations from that point, so I see no reason why he'd take that risk and then walk away from the payoff. It's just not going to happen.

We got our home town discount last year, and to a lesser extent this year if we feel like playing him with his current contract and hoping to franchise or sign him next off season. There's no reason to expect another.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Idgit;1384671 said:
and at the end of the year, when he had problems I largely thought they weren't his fault. Now, I agree he can be careless with the ball, and he definitely has things to work on, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's the next long-term Dallas QB. I think we're very lucky to have him and should pay him accordingly.

largely thought they werent his fault.... ok :rolleyes:
careless with ball.... major problem.... see Brett Favre - he is STILL careless with ball
no doubt in your mind that he is long term Dallas QB - while I hope so... it is not clear cut to me... how could it be with so few games to go by...
agreed - we are lucky to have him and HOPE to see that it works out...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
YoMick;1384677 said:
largely thought they werent his fault.... ok :rolleyes:
careless with ball.... major problem.... see Brett Favre - he is STILL careless with ball
no doubt in your mind that he is long term Dallas QB - while I hope so... it is not clear cut to me... how could it be with so few games to go by...
agreed - we are lucky to have him and HOPE to see that it works out...

Says he with "ROMOSAPIEN" in his avator!

;)

Give the guy a break...when he was playing bad was when the defense decided it was not worth going to the SuperBowl this past year! He was trying to play catch up most of the time at the end of the season...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
5Stars;1384681 said:
Says he with "ROMOSAPIEN" in his avator!

;)

Give the guy a break...when he was playing bad was when the defense decided it was not worth going to the SuperBowl this past year! He was trying to play catch up most of the time at the end of the season...

I contribute a lot of the problems on the OL. The OL was a problem with Bledsoe and while Romo made it less of an issue they were not any better and it showed up in terms of inconsistent running game and forcing Romo to make too many plays on the move.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101;1384689 said:
I contribute a lot of the problems on the OL. The OL was a problem with Bledsoe and while Romo made it less of an issue they were not any better and it showed up in terms of inconsistent running game and forcing Romo to make too many plays on the move.

Word!

Yeah, that also....I mean, come on here...the Cowboys have a QB that did pretty damn good in his first year with all the other team problems going on. I bet if you would have put any first round rookie in the same position that Romo was in, they would flat out suck, big time!

Now, if the bastid could only learn how to handle a field goal snap!

;)