Thoughts on contract extension numbers for Romo...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
5Stars;1384694 said:
Word!

Yeah, that also....I mean, come on here...the Cowboys have a QB that did pretty damn good in his first year with all the other team problems going on. I bet if you would have put any first round rookie in the same position that Romo was in, they would flat out suck, big time!

Now, if the bastid could only learn how to handle a field goal snap!

;)

I agree the guy was great at converting 3rd and long and did that consistently on the season but no team can continue to put their QB in that situation as often as Dallas did with Romo. We must have a more consistent running game and do a better job of giving him a clean pocket more often than he saw this past season. In my opinion it starts with the big boys up front.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
5Stars;1384681 said:
Says he with "ROMOSAPIEN" in his avator!

;)

Give the guy a break...when he was playing bad was when the defense decided it was not worth going to the SuperBowl this past year! He was trying to play catch up most of the time at the end of the season...

LOL

Still a ROMOSAPIEN.... but I am a little leary.... my posts are being viewed a tad negative.... not my intention... just want REAL DEAL at QB and I dont think that after 11 games we know for sure.... thats my only point really....

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
YoMick;1384759 said:
just want REAL DEAL at QB and I dont think that after 11 games we know for sure.... thats my only point really....

Well, like they say, "People in hell want ice water, too"!

Everyone wants the REAL DEAL...so, the ball is in Romo's court now, so let's give him a chance. He's the best thing that we have had in a LONG TIME...

;)

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1384388 said:
Last edited by WoodysGirl : 3 Hours Ago at 01:02 PM. Reason: grammer stuff

Especially funny when she mispells grammar :p haha...just playin..:D

cnhnyy

Reaction score
It is relatively risk-free to extend him right now unless he asks for moon. A 6/50 with 12 M singing bonus is pretty reasonable.

However, if we don't do it and he has a decent season, it is very difficult to sign him. If we franchise him, we will have pay him 13M for the season, which will kill our cap immediately.

Bascially, you pay him 12 M now and keep him for six years or you pay him 13M next year for one-year service.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i think 6yr/45m. the cap has gone up quite a bit. brees got $10m, so $7m+ for romo isn't bad.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ignore the troll- he has admitted that he is a philthy fan.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I expect he gets a more moderate contract that has some generous clauses and bonus features built into it.

I'd expect him to sign a four or five year deal worth a healthy four million or so annually with a nice signing bonus and the option to extend his contract in the fourth year if certain incentives are met.

Win a Super Bowl, have a 3 million dollar bonus, make the pro bowl have a million, that sort of thing.

Angus

Reaction score
Has everyone forgotten that Romo has all the leverage? He doesn't have to make any deal. After the 2007 season he is a free agent. As a matter of fact, he can refuse any contract he doesn't like and there is nothing the Cowboys can do about it. He seems the kind of guy who has supreme confidence in himself, so he might prefer to play out this coming year and see what he could get from some other club.

Perhaps you think he should bend over for the Cowboys because the club is the one that gave him an opportunity, but it was Parcells, Payton, and Lee who nurtured him, and they are gone. It was not Jones. If it had been up to Jerry Jones, Bledsoe would have never been pulled.

It is silly to talk about low guarantees and performance incentives, or long contracts heavy on the back end for Romo. He may fail. He may not be as great as he thinks he is going to be, but I expect he is willing to risk it and I doubt Jerry Jones is willing to risk Romo's being right. Jones is not going to lose a budding franchise quarterback to another club (and face ridicule) after searching for so long. It is "pay me now or pay me (if you can) later."

So, while I hope Romo will not be greedy, I would bet (if I were a betting man) he will get what he wants; not what Jones wants to give him.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
This... IMO, is one of the worst parts of the NFL.

Although, Romo wont likely get the Mega Deal right now. He can potentially hold out and say pay me or trade me (if he has a great year or two of course). There is always room for negotiations, take Porter for example, or even Emmitt.

Aikbach

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1385241 said:
This... IMO, is one of the worst parts of the NFL.

Although, Romo wont likely get the Mega Deal right now. He can potentially hold out and say pay me or trade me (if he has a great year or two of course). There is always room for negotiations, take Porter for example, or even Emmitt.
Emmitt was the LT of the 90s however, an incomparable weapon, sure Barry was nifty and made a great highlight reel but Emmitt did it ALL.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Aikbach;1385319 said:
Emmitt was the LT of the 90s however, an incomparable weapon, sure Barry was nifty and made a great highlight reel but Emmitt did it ALL.

And Barry or LT are referred to... how exactly in my post ?

I was just talking about guys that held out.

And the way your post reads... IMO, is that you are thinking that by some strange reason I am comparing Smith to Sanders, which is simply not the case. I think Sanders is one of the most over-rated RBs of all time. Trust me this has been discussed over and over and over again here. Yet some will still say that Sanders is better.

Stop drinking, thats my advice. :p:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1385356 said:
And Barry or LT are referred to... how exactly in my post ?

I was just talking about guys that held out.

And the way your post reads... IMO, is that you are thinking that by some strange reason I am comparing Smith to Sanders, which is simply not the case. I think Sanders is one of the most over-rated RBs of all time. Trust me this has been discussed over and over and over again here. Yet some will still say that Sanders is better.

Stop drinking, thats my advice. :p:

:laugh2: yeah, Aikbach's post was way out of left-field

Aikbach

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1385366 said:
:laugh2: yeah, Aikbach's post was way out of left-field
What i failed to articulate was that Emmitt was worth a holdout, I'm not sure Tony has the leverage that Emmitt did, Romo is not the Emmitt of quarterbacks.

TheProphet

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1384388 said:
People have talked for a few weeks about what it would take to get Romo's contract extended. Some debate whether they should break the bank or not. I don't think the 'boys will break the bank. If you follow the trend of the contracts handed out in recent years, they've been fair, but not deal breakers with respect to the positional numbers. And although Romo is the QB, I don't think they should make any exception in that regard.

Here are Romo's season-ending numbers after 10 games in the regular season per NFL.com. Not sure how these numbers would translate over 16 games as I'm not a math major.

220/337 65.3 completion percentage 2903 yards 8.61 YPA 19 TDs 13 INTs 95.1 QB rating.

Romo led the team to the playoffs and was 6-4 in his 10 starts. He made the Pro Bowl and probably would've been named MVP due to his come back efforts at the end.

So I did a lil research and came up with two candidates whose contract I would look closely at when coming up with numbers for Romo.

Marc Bulger and Jake Delhomme. Both were extended after short stints as starting quarterback in 2004.

Marc Bulger.
Per USA Today

2002 St. Louis Rams 138/214 1826 64.5 completion pct 8.53 14 TDs 6 INTs 101.5 QB rating
2003 St. Louis Rams 336/532 3845 63.2 completion pct 7.23 22 TDs 22 INTs 81.4 QB rating

His first contact extension was in 2004. He won his first six starts in 2002 and led the team to a 12-4 record and an NFC West championship last year, then was the MVP in the Pro Bowl after throwing a record four touchdowns.

His extension was for four years 17.25m and a 9m signing bonus.

Jake Delhomme
per Sportsline.com

266/449 3219 59.2 completion pct 7.17 YPA 19 TDs/16 INT 80.6 QB rating

Jake Delhomme was rewarded for helping guide the Carolina Panthers to the Super Bowl with a five-year contract extension Thursday worth $38 million. Delhomme will get $12 million up front, including a signing bonus and option bonuses.

Contract Length
My fan guesstimation would be that Romo's next contract will be in the 4-6 yr range. 6 yrs would be the max and if you look at the trend of the contracts by the 'boys, all of their extensions are 6 yrs.

Signing bonus
He figures to get 10-12 mil as a signing bonus. That seems to be the standard number being thrown around.

Contract amount
I'm thinking he'll sign for approximately 20-30 million. This is based on the cost of signing players going up. I don't know that he'll get 38 mil, but I don't think he'll get 17 mil either.

So those are my thoughts...

While his numbers were impressive overall, he did drop off the later part of the season once defenses adjusted to him. This was to be expected. However, we did lose 3 out of 4 down the stretch in the regualar season which is also concerning. The defense gets most the blame, but TR had his share of mistakes during the stretch.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Angus;1385057 said:
Has everyone forgotten that Romo has all the leverage? He doesn't have to make any deal. After the 2007 season he is a free agent. As a matter of fact, he can refuse any contract he doesn't like and there is nothing the Cowboys can do about it. He seems the kind of guy who has supreme confidence in himself, so he might prefer to play out this coming year and see what he could get from some other club.

Perhaps you think he should bend over for the Cowboys because the club is the one that gave him an opportunity, but it was Parcells, Payton, and Lee who nurtured him, and they are gone. It was not Jones. If it had been up to Jerry Jones, Bledsoe would have never been pulled.

It is silly to talk about low guarantees and performance incentives, or long contracts heavy on the back end for Romo. He may fail. He may not be as great as he thinks he is going to be, but I expect he is willing to risk it and I doubt Jerry Jones is willing to risk Romo's being right. Jones is not going to lose a budding franchise quarterback to another club (and face ridicule) after searching for so long. It is "pay me now or pay me (if you can) later."

So, while I hope Romo will not be greedy, I would bet (if I were a betting man) he will get what he wants; not what Jones wants to give him.

Ding-ding.........

You definatly get it here. This is the way I see it as well.

Any attempt to front this guy with a lame incentive lacent, low ball base contract is only going to give him more reason to test the waters IMO. If he puts up an improved season this coming year, every club needing a QB is going to be interested in him. We can try to Franchise but in the end, that only means he's going to get a big contract anyway. Better to offer a top 10 type contract now as opposed to getting into a bidding war later IMO. Base the numbers of prior year deals before the bigger TV revenue is introduced into salaries and get a deal done. It's risky but it might be even more risky if you wait. JMO of course.