Thoughts on Garrett

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of you know me as the Garrett Sucks guy, but in all seriousness, I think Garrett is a pretty good coach. My biggest issue with him is that he doesn't seem to have control over his OC. Wether that is because Jerry has him handcuffed or he has too much respect for Linehan to question him, I don't know. Moving forward, I think Jason needs to get more involved in the play calling. He was a hot item as an OC when we hired him, you would figure that he could inject some excitement into Linehans scheme. What do you think of Garrett? Be nice, @Idgit is watching.....

phildadon86

Reaction score
Most of you know me as the Garrett Sucks guy, but in all seriousness, I think Garrett is a pretty good coach. My biggest issue with him is that he doesn't seem to have control over his OC. Wether that is because Jerry has him handcuffed or he has too much respect for Linehan to question him, I don't know. Moving forward, I think Jason needs to get more involved in the play calling. He was a hot item as an OC when we hired him, you would figure that he could inject some excitement into Linehans scheme. What do you think of Garrett? Be nice, @Idgit is watching.....
Garrett was amazing an an OC when Sparano was here to actually design the plays for him. Sparano left and Garrett went to crap. I don't find that a coincidence

waldoputty

Reaction score

time management disasters
predictable - system has formations where the team would be rushing 95% of the time and formations that pass 95% of the time
does not bring state of the art defense or state of the art offense
allows the above failures without definitive corrections
allows marinelli to run the disastrous prevent d that prevents victories
his only good trait is roster building - but that belongs in the front office

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
lol, Ranch.....sniff an ammonia pellet quick, you're close to passing out on us.

CCBoy

Reaction score
407cb5f6f7a28fd8d594ad0c479a2c4d.jpg

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My Garrett take is simple.

He isn't as good as he was viewed 2 years ago when he was Coach of the Year nor is he as bad as most Cowboys fans view him where they consider him going 9-7 with eligible, healthy personnel of about 9-7 caliber as some horrid coaching job.

Garrett is not going to steal you games and he no longer loses you games.
He's a median, middle of the road coach.
If that sounds like some fervent attack it simply isn't. Being approximately the 15th best at your profession in the world is something to hang your hat on.
But he's not on that elite level which frankly may well be 1 guy deep right now. Belicheat.
And he's probably not on that next level of plus coaches either. But again that group seems to change yearly and may be more based on results and immediate perception than reality.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
My Garrett take is simple.

He isn't as good as he was viewed 2 years ago when he was Coach of the Year nor is he as bad as most Cowboys fans view him where they consider him going 9-7 with eligible, healthy personnel of about 9-7 caliber as some horrid coaching job.

Garrett is not going to steal you games and he no longer loses you games.
He's a median, middle of the road coach.
If that sounds like some fervent attack it simply isn't. Being approximately the 15th best at your profession in the world is something to hang your hat on.
But he's not on that elite level which frankly may well be 1 guy deep right now. Belicheat.
And he's probably not on that next level of plus coaches either. But again that group seems to change yearly and may be more based on results and immediate perception than reality.

I guess you forgot the Atlanta game from last season.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I love Jason Garrett. I want my kids to be able to do what he did when they grow up.

Having no football skills but able to scam millions from an old drunken rich fool.
Get your kids to have a seemless transition when they have a key component to the company fall off.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Right now, the loyalty of a Cowboys fan is through the roof, or abysmally normal for those fans.

GenoT

Reaction score
Garrett’s good at organizing and delegating authority, he’s intelligent and, supposedly, he’s fair and the players respect him.

When he has all his key weapons, his teams can excel, but they often don’t seem able to handle adversity as well as some other teams do. Even in playoff seasons, he has yet to lead a team past the NFC semifinals and, late in close games, we seem to have have trouble (play calling, clock management) finishing out opponents.

While Jerry and Garrett seem very comfortable and secure in their working relationship, does either have enough skill at their respective jobs (GM, HC) to offset the other’s weaknesses?

Once again, it’s a new season...and so we shall see.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I've always been on the fence with Garrett, but 2017 was perhaps his best coaching job ever in Dallas.

Distractions all season, no Zeke for six weeks, no speed at receiver, major line injuries.....and the Cowboys still missed the playoffs by only one game. Last season was a huge disappointment, but it never became the train wreck it could have.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Garrett’s good at organizing and delegating authority, he’s intelligent and, supposedly, he’s fair and the players respect him.

When he has all his key weapons, his teams can excel, but they often don’t seem able to handle adversity as well as some other teams do. Even in playoff seasons, he has yet to lead a team past the NFC semifinals and, late in close games, we seem to have have trouble (play calling, clock management) finishing out opponents.

While Jerry and Garrett seem very comfortable and secure in their working relationship, does either have enough skill at their respective jobs (GM, HC) to offset the other’s weaknesses?

Once again, it’s a new season...and so we shall see.
How much were you paid for this??