Thoughts on Garrett

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Garrett is smart enough to realize you need a good o-line but it ends there. His playbook is dated, he doesn’t bring a “Coaching Advantage” when faced with equal or superior competition. It’s like we’re playing checkers while other teams with better more innovative coaches are playing chess.. If we lose too much talent due to injury, ie,.. Tyron Smith and Sean Lee, we get rolled....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Most of you know me as the Garrett Sucks guy, but in all seriousness, I think Garrett is a pretty good coach. My biggest issue with him is that he doesn't seem to have control over his OC. Wether that is because Jerry has him handcuffed or he has too much respect for Linehan to question him, I don't know. Moving forward, I think Jason needs to get more involved in the play calling. He was a hot item as an OC when we hired him, you would figure that he could inject some excitement into Linehans scheme. What do you think of Garrett? Be nice, @Idgit is watching.....
Here we go......again...

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Garrett sure isn't building if the 'Boys fall short of the postseason this year. He's regressing. Now, what if the 'Boys make the playoffs but lose their first game or fail to advance to at least the NFC Championship game?

My belief is his status will still be discussed and Jerrah will finally cut those puppet strings, for good.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I didn’t like him as our OC, and I still don’t like him (as a coach). Garrett should’ve been fired a while back.

Last year when Tony was calling one of our games he stated that Garrett was not an X’s and O’s guy. How is that possible! No wonder we have been so predictable on offense. What a shame because a coach like Pedersen could’ve taken that 2014 team much further with his playbook.

I wish I could find that video of that statement. I don't think that is what Tony said. I remember thinking at the time, oh that's going to get blown up. But if my memory serves me correct, the question was, how is garret as a HC. Tony said he doesn't do the x's and o's that much, he concentrates on other areas. He didn't say "he can't do x's and Os." So in other words, he let's the people that were hired to do the Xs and Os do the Xs and Os and he does the HC stuff. I am pretty confident he has a say in the overall game plan and that he oversee's the whole team.

And as far as Peterson's playbook, would that have prevented Murray from fumbling the ball on a run that would have pretty much sealed the game? Or reversed the reversed call on the pass to Dez? Those two calls cost the team a trip to the Title game, not the playbook.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Garrett is smart enough to realize you need a good o-line but it ends there. His playbook is dated, he doesn’t bring a “Coaching Advantage” when faced with equal or superior competition. It’s like we’re playing checkers while other teams with better more innovative coaches are playing chess.. If we lose too much talent due to injury, ie,.. Tyron Smith and Sean Lee, we get rolled....

Garrett dose some good things in talent evaluation and stuff where he has time to think . Did a real good job keeping the team together after that car wreak . Its just on gameday once in a while you got to pull the rabbit out of the hat and get that tough win so the players have confidence in your coaching ability and will give 100%.

I don't dislike the guy . I believe he is smart but needs more time than the NFL will afford to implement his plans . We need a guy on gameday that can think on his feet anticipate what other teams are going to do and adjust before catastrophe strikes .

MistyAnn

Reaction score
Garrett is not too popular here, he can come across as quite lame and straight laced,
I went to see a rock band gig lately, the band had everything they needed, good drums, volume a good front man and I thought this was going to rock. The only problem was the lame playset they used, I immediately thought of Garrett and Linehan.
The band had the tools to blast out proper hits like Honky Tonk History and Johnny B. Goode, but instead wasted the night playing lame garbage rock like snowpatrol and franz Ferdinand.
I had to leave early knowing the band were going to do the rock equivalent of an empty backfield on 3rd and Goal from the 1.
Anyways that sums up my thoughts on Garrett, I would like to like him, but the lameness has to stop.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Garrett sure isn't building if the 'Boys fall short of the postseason this year. He's regressing. Now, what if the 'Boys make the playoffs but lose their first game or fail to advance to at least the NFC Championship game?

My belief is his status will still be discussed and Jerrah will finally cut those puppet strings, for good.
I'm afraid Garrett is as good as he's going to get. We have to overcome him to win playoff games.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Garrett dose some good things in talent evaluation and stuff where he has time to think . Did a real good job keeping the team together after that car wreak . Its just on gameday once in a while you got to pull the rabbit out of the hat and get that tough win so the players have confidence in your coaching ability and will give 100%.

I don't dislike the guy . I believe he is smart but needs more time than the NFL will afford to implement his plans . We need a guy on gameday that can think on his feet anticipate what other teams are going to do and adjust before catastrophe strikes .
Nice post!

cml750

Reaction score
Garrett still sucks and even Jerry knows it (see sig). Jerry just prefers to be comfortable with a coach who has absolutely zero chance of upstaging him with credit should they ever win the SB. Jerry want to build a roster to overcome the coach he chose so he gets all the credit.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Not sure what part of "the other sucked too" you didnt get.
Green was replaced and the his replacement was whooped twice more.

And again ATL had better talent, period.
If memory serves, Green wasn't replaced till after he allowed 5 sacks.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of you know me as the Garrett Sucks guy, but in all seriousness, I think Garrett is a pretty good coach. My biggest issue with him is that he doesn't seem to have control over his OC. Wether that is because Jerry has him handcuffed or he has too much respect for Linehan to question him, I don't know. Moving forward, I think Jason needs to get more involved in the play calling. He was a hot item as an OC when we hired him, you would figure that he could inject some excitement into Linehans scheme. What do you think of Garrett? Be nice, @Idgit is watching.....

Already seen that movie. Thats why Jerry hired Linehan. You think Jason wanted to give up play calling duties?

JustChip

Reaction score
My Garrett take is simple.

He isn't as good as he was viewed 2 years ago when he was Coach of the Year nor is he as bad as most Cowboys fans view him where they consider him going 9-7 with eligible, healthy personnel of about 9-7 caliber as some horrid coaching job.

Garrett is not going to steal you games and he no longer loses you games.
He's a median, middle of the road coach.
If that sounds like some fervent attack it simply isn't. Being approximately the 15th best at your profession in the world is something to hang your hat on.
But he's not on that elite level which frankly may well be 1 guy deep right now. Belicheat.
And he's probably not on that next level of plus coaches either. But again that group seems to change yearly and may be more based on results and immediate perception than reality.
:hammer:

JustChip

Reaction score
I wish I could find that video of that statement. I don't think that is what Tony said. I remember thinking at the time, oh that's going to get blown up. But if my memory serves me correct, the question was, how is garret as a HC. Tony said he doesn't do the x's and o's that much, he concentrates on other areas. He didn't say "he can't do x's and Os." So in other words, he let's the people that were hired to do the Xs and Os do the Xs and Os and he does the HC stuff. I am pretty confident he has a say in the overall game plan and that he oversee's the whole team.

And as far as Peterson's playbook, would that have prevented Murray from fumbling the ball on a run that would have pretty much sealed the game? Or reversed the reversed call on the pass to Dez? Those two calls cost the team a trip to the Title game, not the playbook.

Nor would Pederson have had a top defense to seal the win when it was needed. Hell, the Eagles had a top defense last year and still got torched in the Super Bowl until a single play on the last drive.