CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about the Eagles!

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
This is a "must win" for both teams.

HOWEVER....whoever loses will still be in the group of 6 to 8 teams from which the eventual SB winner will come from.

Also.....the common belief that everything is based on their rushing attack is a bit off: they have mainly relied on the pass recently...and against Wash Hurts just stayed in the pocket on his own accord.

Their secondary has been ravaged by injuries .....

If I'm Dallas coach...I still keep a balanced attack even if rushes are unsuccessful, as you can't fall into their trap of being 1 dimensional....but WHEN you pass make it quick timing throws in middle of field

That said, this is an imperfect league right now with no real powerhouses....so in that context they are a very good team that knows how to win (they've lost like 2 games in the last 12 months or so they TRIED to win with their QB and starters in the game....Jets and the SB)....but so are we.

Might as well just grab a coin and flip it to predict the winner of this one
Wow good analysis … now tells us as much about the Giants and Commanders …..

Roland

Reaction score
The Eagles investment at DT has paid off and they lead the league in run stop defense.
It's not really even close. Tough to run against that team.

But they struggle with pass defense at 25th. The corners are very beatable and the safety play before the recent trade was pretty awful.

Offensively, they are very balanced. They run it and pass it both about 6th/7th best in the league.
Their issue has been turnovers.
With the move to more passing Hurts has seen a spike in turnovers.
They are 1 spot behind us in 3rd for scoring so are being aggressive and putting points on the board when they don't turn it over.
AJ is a legit top 5 WR that has actually gotten better post trade which is rare.
The TE and WR2 Smith are both plus players.

Where they have taken a step back is OL. It isn't a definite 1 like last year. Still good but maybe not great.

If I were an Eagles media member, I'd say we have been good with these turnovers but those are just blips and when we stop the foolishness, we will be great.

As a Cowboys media member, I would point out Philly has had a cupcake schedule playing largely all bad teams and the 3 common opponents: Rams, Pats, Jets Dallas dog walked with a point differential north of 70 while Philly went 2-1 in fairly close games.

At the end of the day this game is a nice measuring stick but neither team **needs the victory. Both teams have tough schedules upcoming and a lot more games to play including a rematch later in the year.
The winner will have a lot of momentum and confidence while the loser awaits the revenge game.
Really good points. IF we can make some stops and we do not start of slow on offense, then I think we have a real good chance. If we cannot get them in 3rd and long, force some punts and or turnovers then we are in trouble. If we go 3 and out the first couple of series, then we are in trouble. I have no confidence at all that we will be able to run the ball, at least not up the middle. Also think they will try to take out CeeDee. Run off tackle, screens, play action, roll outs, Dak running it or at least throw it away and Cooks and Gallup stepping up are the recipe.

We must be solid as heck on our DL and LBers. Reduce the stunts, use Parsons more LB this game (except on obvious pass plays). If he plays up, I think they will just run right at him, or RPO, screen or hot read the area he vacates. It was pretty ugly last time but it was very efficient at limiting his ability to affect the game.

It is definitely not a must win game in regards to making the playoffs. But it is a very important game none the less in regards to where you are seated for the playoffs.

I thought in the beginning of the year that we would split with the Eagles and I still believe that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You're wrong; this is a must-win game.
why is it must win ?
This game will give the winnner a edge in the race for div title and top seed.
It will also help from a mental stand point.

But either team could lose, and still come back and win div and get top seed.
It is still early in the season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You're wrong; this is a must-win game.
Just wondering, which games are okay to lose in the NFL?

Will beating the Eagles matter if the Cowboys fall flat against the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders afterwards? It's a long season and should the Cowboys fall to 5-3 Sunday they can still get where they need to go. I understand it's easier if they win the NFC East and all that, but I won't be ready to give up on 2023 should Dallas happen to lose at Philly.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Wow good analysis … now tells us as much about the Giants and Commanders …..
Sure....they are a very easy analysis compared to Dal or Phi: they both suck. ANYTHING you do should succeed against them....and if it doesn't then blame yourself vs giving them credit

P.s. also wouldn't have much in depth info on Arizona, Carolina, or any other horrible team, because there's no need to break them down (in my opinion)

Techsass

Reaction score
For me this is definitely a must win game. I don't think losing will keep either of us out of the playoffs, but after SF I want to see us beat a top notch team. It hasn't gotten to where I think this is our SB, but our division is between us & the Eagles.

As a fan, I love games that offer a bit of suspense, but I want us to win those games.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So in your first paragraph you say it’s a must-win game. Then in your second you say the Cowboys will make the playoffs anyway and it doesn’t matter if they win the division. If that’s true, how can this possibly be a must-win game?
Oh Lordy. OK. It's a must win but it's not a must win to make the playoffs.

Was it really that hard to figure out?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Another measuring stick type of game in a very hostile environment. Not a must win game, but very important if the Cowboys truly want to win back the divisional crown this season.

Offense

-Once again, another DC from the Vic Fangio coaching tree. Sean Desai is a little more aggressive with his scheme, where he likes to send his linebackers more, but they still have the same principals. Playing shell coverage, keeping everything in front of them. The difference from the 49ers and the Eagles is their linebackers, where the middle of the field should be far easier to exploit.

-Eagles are the best in the league stopping the run, but they are very average stopping the pass. Cowboys have to run enough to prevent the Eagles from pinning their ears back and rushing the passer. Eagles are in the top 5 in total sacks. They have multiple, high end pass rushers.

-Protecting Dak is the key offensively this week, if he has time inside the pocket, he will have success against this defense through the air. The Eagles have had struggles all year defending the slot, will their new addition Byard is used to fix this weakness? If Jobe or Ricks are on Lamb, it is a huge advantage for the Cowboys. TE's also have given this defense some trouble.

-Offense needs to win the time of possession and keep the Eagles high-powered offense off the field. When they get into the red zone, they must score TD's as the defense will have it's hands full this week.

Defense

-Eagles bread and butter still remains with their elite rushing attack. When they get in trouble, they simply run the football down the other team's throats. We all know about the tush push, Cowboys must keep them away from those short distances. After the Eagle lull teams asleep with so many runs, they take their shots down the field. Team who wins the line of scrimmage will win this game.

-Quinn has to throw out those twists and stunts this week, he cannot give Hurts easy lanes to run for 1st downs. The pass rush also must say discipline and stay in their lanes. Teams are almost forced to play a lot of zone coverage cause of Hurt's rushing abilities. When Hurts gets in trouble, he always rolls right and make many sideline passes that extend the drives. The defense has to keep back in their minds, that Hurts will have designed runs even on 3rd and longs.

-Their skilled players are on the same level as the 49ers, Brown is an absolute beast in those 50/50 balls and is hard to tackle into space. Gilmore actually played him well last years with the Colts, he would be ideal to follow him this week. DeVonta Smith is a real great route runner, who can beat you with quickness and deep speed. Goedert is an elite receiving TE. Cowboys Defense cannot allow Goedert to have a similar game as Kittles did against them. They cannot sleep on Swift either as a receiver, he usually eats up linebacker coverages.

-Hurts really struggled against the Jets who also run a similar scheme as Fangio. This only works if the Cowboys have success on the early downs. Jets were able to play extra men in coverage and forced multiple interceptions.

-Their is no question, the Eagles have the best OL in the game. Their only weak spot is at RG, but they are loaded every else. Even if they don't get a ton of sacks, must pressure Hurts to be successful.

Special Teams

-Both teams have money kickers.
-Field position is very important as this should be a tight, defensive type of game.
I think given the state of the cowboys OL protection and blocking, and even struggling to protect against the rams, which were average in pass rushing. and still got to the QB and pressured consistently and couldn't open running lanes, our OL is going to struggle against the eagles, and the response is probably quick short passing game and hope to get a lot of YAC

defensively, we struggle against Running QBs so Hurts will get his yards. our pass defense is solid.

shabazz

Reaction score
I’ll defer to what hater Micah Parsons said about the Eagles. Best team in the NFL with no weaknesses.

Oh, Bull-Jive….Sam Howell hung 400 yards and 4TDs on they butts. Dak can do better than Howell

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh Lordy. OK. It's a must win but it's not a must win to make the playoffs.

Was it really that hard to figure out?
A must-win for what then? You said it's not a must-win for the playoffs. You even said it doesn't matter for the division (although it obviously does). So a must-win for what?

If you're making the playoffs anyway, no regular-season game can possibly be a must-win.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think given the state of the cowboys OL protection and blocking, and even struggling to protect against the rams, which were average in pass rushing. and still got to the QB and pressured consistently and couldn't open running lanes, our OL is going to struggle against the eagles, and the response is probably quick short passing game and hope to get a lot of YAC

defensively, we struggle against Running QBs so Hurts will get his yards. our pass defense is solid.
Our pass defense wasn't solid against SF.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I’ll defer to what hater Micah Parsons said about the Eagles. Best team in the NFL with no weaknesses.

Oh, Bull-Jive….Sam Howell hung 400 yards and 4TDs on they butts. Dak can do better than Howell
Well.....I personally would trade Dak for Howell (younger...more of an unknown upside/ceiling....already capable of playing well) because we already know what Dak is (and isn't).....but that's beside the point. Point is....EVERY team has weaknesses....and Philly's corners have to be concerning them. All of a sudden, their corners are playing REAL old.

Reaction score
This game is hard to predict. I think whoever wins the turnover battle as well as the trenches will win game. Both QBs been turning over the ball this year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

It will be challenge inside the trenches both sides of the football

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
This is a bigger game for Philly IMO. If Philly loses the have KC, then Buffalo, then 49ers then Dallas in Texas then a 5-2 Seahawks team.

shabazz

Reaction score
Well.....I personally would trade Dak for Howell (younger...more of an unknown upside/ceiling....already capable of playing well) because we already know what Dak is (and isn't).....but that's beside the point. Point is....EVERY team has weaknesses....and Philly's corners have to be concerning them. All of a sudden, their corners are playing REAL old.
Howell is doing fine and I’m sure Bienemys influence has been a positive thing but we’ve got to see him in big games and play-off situations to further evaluate him.

We've all seen some quarterbacks that do well but choke against great defenses and in the playoffs, lol

Einstein

Reaction score
I think the egals are actually better in personnel this year, but worse in coaching and execution.