CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about the Eagles!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Aree with most, however, I don't like the idea of Dak sitting in the pocket waiting for that DLine to get through, don't make him a sitting target, let's move him on planned sweeps.
On the Defense I think we need to temper our early down pressure (still remember Hurts RPOing Micah to death) last year...maybe shading Micah to MLB (especially on early downs) to counter that expansive/unpredictable run game and will also see him lining up against (as you correctly say) is the weakness at RG....if Kelsie has to shade right to help out against Osa, there may well be gaps up the middle.
Have to hold up on the early downs if they want any chance to have success.

Creeper

Reaction score
Other teams have put up points on the Eagles so I hope the Cowboys watched a lot of film to see what other teams did to move the ball on them, unlike the way they played the 49ers. But this game will be won in the trenches. If we do not block their DL it will be another slog for the offense. The Eagles will almost certainly put Slay on CeeDee and try to take him out of the game. That means Gallup and Cooks have to step up this week.

The Eagles offense is a real challenge. Their offensive line makes it difficult to stop them, but I do not think they are as good this year as they were last. These two teams know each other so well it will come down to individual battles.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is absolutely a must win game. There are 3 games on the schedule this year where you can see how your team measures up to the others in the conference. SF, PHIL and PHIL. The Cowboys were embarrassed in the first one. If Sunday isn't a must win then there aren't any on the schedule this year.

With regards to the division, it doesn't matter if the Cowboys win it or not. They will make the playoffs. Especially with the expanded field with 3 wildcards. They have to get past SF and PHIL no matter what. We will get some answers Sunday.
They have 2 games against the Eagles and either team hasn't lost to another divisional opponent. Sweeping a series gives them the tie-breaker, but also can win the conference tie-breaker. Both teams have difficult remaining schedules, this game is important, but not must win this early in the season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Eagles investment at DT has paid off and they lead the league in run stop defense.
It's not really even close. Tough to run against that team.

But they struggle with pass defense at 25th. The corners are very beatable and the safety play before the recent trade was pretty awful.

Offensively, they are very balanced. They run it and pass it both about 6th/7th best in the league.
Their issue has been turnovers.
With the move to more passing Hurts has seen a spike in turnovers.
They are 1 spot behind us in 3rd for scoring so are being aggressive and putting points on the board when they don't turn it over.
AJ is a legit top 5 WR that has actually gotten better post trade which is rare.
The TE and WR2 Smith are both plus players.

Where they have taken a step back is OL. It isn't a definite 1 like last year. Still good but maybe not great.

If I were an Eagles media member, I'd say we have been good with these turnovers but those are just blips and when we stop the foolishness, we will be great.

As a Cowboys media member, I would point out Philly has had a cupcake schedule playing largely all bad teams and the 3 common opponents: Rams, Pats, Jets Dallas dog walked with a point differential north of 70 while Philly went 2-1 in fairly close games.

At the end of the day this game is a nice measuring stick but neither team **needs the victory. Both teams have tough schedules upcoming and a lot more games to play including a rematch later in the year.
The winner will have a lot of momentum and confidence while the loser awaits the revenge game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Other teams have put up points on the Eagles so I hope the Cowboys watched a lot of film to see what other teams did to move the ball on them, unlike the way they played the 49ers. But this game will be won in the trenches. If we do not block their DL it will be another slog for the offense. The Eagles will almost certainly put Slay on CeeDee and try to take him out of the game. That means Gallup and Cooks have to step up this week.

The Eagles offense is a real challenge. Their offensive line makes it difficult to stop them, but I do not think they are as good this year as they were last. These two teams know each other so well it will come down to individual battles.
2023 Slay cannot cover CeeDee, 88 had 120 yards receiving in the last game.
So my guess is they bracket him like the 49ers did.
And if so Ferguson and Cooks better play well or it will be a long day.

JustChip

Reaction score
My thoughts.. eagles suck and the city is a toilet with the worst garbage fans in all of sports that deserve to lose every game 100-0.
No idea how Stephen A calls Cowboy fans the most obnoxious…Cowboys fans tend to be some of the classier fans out there meanwhile eagles fans throw batteries and cheer injuries.
Wouldn’t you be obnoxious if you lived in that cesspool?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
This is a "must win" for both teams.

HOWEVER....whoever loses will still be in the group of 6 to 8 teams from which the eventual SB winner will come from.

Also.....the common belief that everything is based on their rushing attack is a bit off: they have mainly relied on the pass recently...and against Wash Hurts just stayed in the pocket on his own accord.

Their secondary has been ravaged by injuries .....

If I'm Dallas coach...I still keep a balanced attack even if rushes are unsuccessful, as you can't fall into their trap of being 1 dimensional....but WHEN you pass make it quick timing throws in middle of field

That said, this is an imperfect league right now with no real powerhouses....so in that context they are a very good team that knows how to win (they've lost like 2 games in the last 12 months or so they TRIED to win with their QB and starters in the game....Jets and the SB)....but so are we.

Might as well just grab a coin and flip it to predict the winner of this one

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right.
Eagles have not beaten any better teams than what we beat. And, they got beat by the team we beat soundly.
Refs helped them with one win at least, and some lucky breaks in other games with huge blunders by the other teams.

Now all the that means nothing, as they are 7-1. But at least our wins were never in question. We had thud losses though.

So come KO, throw out the records, it is a rival game. But I have not been all that impressed with the Eagles, but they are still a good team, well coached.
I am sure there are Eagles fans, many on here, that will say they have not been impressed with us either. Then again they never like anything we do.
Eagles have 1 more quality win against the Dolphins who were real banged up.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
On defense RPO has been kryptonite for Quinn. He and our defense need to understand they cannot play hero ball with stunts. This game is about discipline, tackling, gap control

Please please please DO NOT play parsons at DE. Play real DEs and play parsons at MLB to control the run and set the edges with DEs

Would have been great if we had acquired a real RB instead of having to roll with Pollard. I expect very little from the run game which will put more pressure on Dak and play right into the Eagles hands
Don't think another back would make much of a difference, it's all about how the OL plays.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Key to this game is to cover the hell out of AJ and Smith. Those guys are really good. Also, contain Swift.
Stopping the Eagles ground attack is the #1 goal. Everything is off their great ground attack.

75boyz

Reaction score
The trench warfare of our guard-center-guard performances against their front 7 pass pressure will determine the outcome imo.

But secondly, McCarthy/Schott/Solari needs to come up with some kinda ground game.

So basically it's up to the staff's prep of the o-line.
They ain't gonna be no more healthier.
It's now or never.

Cowboys!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I said it last year when we headed into Philly, it’s going to be like heading into a hornets nest. They’re going to be sky high for us and if we can’t match their intensity and physicality, it could end up like the 49ers game. We need this game to prove we can beat a legit Super Bowl contender. The environment is going to be hostile and we have to come out laying some hats on people. The Cowboys have a reputation of being soft against contending teams. This is a critical game not only for a record but for the psyche of the team.

davey999

Reaction score
They will run it down our throats and our offense will struggle out of the gate. We've seen this movie before.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
You say this because you are hoping for them to lose so you can start posting negatively about certain players again.
Just because I've hurt your feelings with things I've said about certain players doesn't mean I want the team to lose.

visionary

Reaction score
Don't think another back would make much of a difference, it's all about how the OL plays.
Of course OL is important but a back like Henry or Connor could have taken a huge load off Dak but too late now. We can watch Pollard run for 2.8 yds/carry

tomokawan

Reaction score
This is a one way rivalry. Eagles are not our rivals. But to them we are theirs. What eats at Eagle fans and their hatred of the Cowboys is they want America to love them, but no matter how much they win the media still talks about the Cowboys every year and it kills them. I hear it on radio daily in the Philly area. Really pathetic. This game is winnable. I think we will win.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Of course OL is important but a back like Henry or Connor could have taken a huge load off Dak but too late now. We can watch Pollard run for 2.8 yds/carry
The way the OL has played, they both would also struggle. Pollard is getting hit right after he gets the handoff.