Three mistakes Dallas made in the draft this year

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Maybe im just not paying attention, but i really have not seen any real sort of backlash about the Josh Ball pick.
Just wait.

People have not got bored enough yet.

It will get very loud if he can actually play.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What a waste of a topic. How anyone can declare what we did wrong before any of these guys ever take a snap is beyond me.

Call me a Homer if it means being a fan who is optimistic but is well aware anything can happen.

I'll choose to wait it out rather then post nonsense like this.
You hate roller coasters don't you?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry loves a bargain and he's a wildcatter. Those two things lead to high-reward, high-risk situations. Now, he's not the only one, but he has one of the most high-profile franchises in the league, so when he takes a chance on a Pacman Jones, it's big news compared to when a team like Cincinnati picks him up after he fails here.
What does taking these players result to though? What exactly do these high risk high reward players lead to?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just wait.

I think he’s safe. If nothing has been made of it yet it won’t. If you want to see outcry go see how Joe Mixon was treated on draft night.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Im not in the business of defending our draft, but this is just some random dude throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

The Eagles one doesn't make much sense at all.
Giants are rivals too. Plus we got our player and a free 3rd rounder.

waving monkey

Reaction score
1. Making Joseph the top CB
2. Drafting Josh Ball
3. Helping the Eagles get Devonta Smith
The Eagles helped us secure Parsons and Golston. A super star and a DL piece.
Smith is a super star.
Josh Ball is either a quality olineman or a starter he'll not harm the oline.

plymkr

Reaction score
Yes, there was only one point made. Kelvin Joseph
It remains to be seen if drafting him where they drafted him will be a mistake. Just seems premature to be saying that at this point.
Yeah, the way the author worded it, it made it seem like every CB in the draft was available and we took KJ. Either poor wording on the author's part or agenda driven, or both. Also his point of KJ not playing a lot because he transferred was a weak argument.

Say what you want about the KJ pick. I feel he's got 1st round talent. If his head is in the game then it was a great pick. If his head is not in the game well that will suck. Personally I feel it's a gamble you take. So overall I like the pick and disagree with the author. If KJ and Parsons pan out then we improved our defense significantly.

black label

Reaction score
Hey drafted lve bad bra, this dood was the worst pick in the last 10 years

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, the way the author worded it, it made it seem like every CB in the draft was available and we took KJ. Either poor wording on the author's part or agenda driven, or both. Also his point of KJ not playing a lot because he transferred was a weak argument.

Say what you want about the KJ pick. I feel he's got 1st round talent. If his head is in the game then it was a great pick. If his head is not in the game well that will suck. Personally I feel it's a gamble you take. So overall I like the pick and disagree with the author. If KJ and Parsons pan out then we improved our defense significantly.

Kubitza is a Cleveland Browns fan and he wrote a similar “Three Mistakes” article for them:

https://fansided.com/2021/05/06/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-mistakes-2021/

He probably did one for his favorite team, thought it was a good idea and picked the most popular team in the league to do another on. Clicks are great, right?

Frankly, Kubitza writes more about basketball than football and is probably just having to think of things to write after the draft. It certainly didn’t read like he really knows what he’s talking about.

Just the logic miss that he made in saying Dallas shouldn’t have traded with Philly because they’re a division rival is pretty naive because had Dallas taken Parsons there, then NY takes Smith and Dallas is out a mid-third round pick.

It’s uninformed and, well… just dumb.

If you just pulled some guy in off the streets and told him to find 3 things wrong with the Dallas draft, one of them would no doubt be that Joseph hadn’t played much and was a transfer from LSU.

And the other would be Josh Ball and his issues.

All three were simple choices to write about. They were shallow. They were the low hanging fruit. His analysis means less than zero.

plymkr

Reaction score
Kubitza is a Cleveland Browns fan and he wrote a similar “Three Mistakes” article for them:

https://fansided.com/2021/05/06/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-mistakes-2021/

He probably did one for his favorite team, thought it was a good idea and picked the most popular team in the league to do another on. Clicks are great, right?

Frankly, Kubitza writes more about basketball than football and is probably just having to think of things to write after the draft. It certainly didn’t read like he really knows what he’s talking about.

Just the logic miss that he made in saying Dallas shouldn’t have traded with Philly because they’re a division rival is pretty naive because had Dallas taken Parsons there, then NY takes Smith and Dallas is out a mid-third round pick.

It’s uninformed and, well… just dumb.

If you just pulled some guy in off the streets and told him to find 3 things wrong with the Dallas draft, one of them would no doubt be that Joseph hadn’t played much and was a transfer from LSU.

And the other would be Josh Ball and his issues.

All three were simple choices to write about. They were shallow. They were the low hanging fruit. His analysis means less than zero.
I agree completely, well said

lockster

Reaction score
Just wait.

There shouldn't be any backlash. This is football, not church. If he can play, great. If he can't, well not so great.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Im not in the business of defending our draft, but this is just some random dude throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

The Eagles one doesn't make much sense at all.
Giants are rivals too. Plus we got our player and a free 3rd rounder.
Well..it shows a pattern of behavior as an organization of choosing rehab projects with known issues either physical or mental who have fallen down the draft and thinking we can rehab them. Same old philosophies in play as always. Our team can't change.

Creeper

Reaction score
Someone without a lot of perspective wrote an article about the Cowboys draft. Starting with Joseph, there are a lot of players in this draft with limited experience, including a couple of QBs taken early in the first round. Since many players opted out in 2020 we knew this going into the draft. Samuel is more experienced, has a dad who probably taught him a lot about the position, and might be more NFL ready, but he is slower and 20 lbs lighter than Joseph. The Cowboys drafted the CB with the most upside. His "off the field issues" was 1 incident where he violated team rules. This is not a big deal.

Then they slam the Josh Ball pick again. I have already defended this pick numerous times. Enough already. If anyone can tell me he would not have been picked by any other team then maybe I will reconsider my argument. But the incident in question all stems from a complaint his ex-girlfriend filed. No charges were pressed, and this is important. It happened 3 years ago and he has done nothing wrong since 2018. I have no idea what happened or the circumstances behind it but I know young men deserve a second chance if they get back on the straight path. Worse men that Josh Ball has been given jobs. 3 of our last 5 presidents have been accused of worse, and another admitted to selling cocaine in college. They were elected anyway. And many of the people complaining about the Ball pick defended 3 of the presidents involved. Do we set higher standards for football players than our leaders?

The third so-called mistake is letting the Eagles get DaVonta land in Philly. This is the dumbest of the 3 mistakes. If the Cowboys did not make the trade with the Eagles, the Giants would have selected Smith. And I suppose it could be argued that if the Giants took Smith then they would not have gotten that sweet trade deal with Chicago. But the Cowboys could not have known about the deal with Chicago and for all we know the Bears could have traded up with Eagles giving them the same deal they gave the Giants. There was no way for the Cowboys to stop either team from benefitting from their first round picks. Any argument to the contrary is stupid.

The Cowboys made two mistakes in the draft, in my opinion. One was not being aggressive enough in the 3rd round. But this is probably 50% hindsight. The other is drafting Wright so early. But if you look around the draft almost every team reached for at least one player. There were a number of players projected to go in the 5th and 6th rounds who were taken in the 3rd and 4th. Those projections, btw, come from sports-writers and other people not affiliated with NFL teams. We have no idea where any teams had players on their boards. What makes the internet right and the teams wrong?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What does taking these players result to though? What exactly do these high risk high reward players lead to?

Over the last 25 years? Not much.

However, it could be argued that Charles Haley was a high-risk, high-reward player San Fran was looking to dump on a team, just like Tennessee did with Pacman, and that move helped put us over the top in the 1990s. So if you have the right coach and the right setting, it can result in Super Bowls. Other good examples would be Lawrence Taylor and Ray Lewis, so it's not just us.

I wouldn't necessarily try to lump every high-risk player in the same category, but it seems that many of them are just fine from a mental standpoint when the team is doing well, but when the team is losing, they lose focus or become disruptive. Not saying it will be that way with Ball, because he may have simply gotten his head screwed on straight, but with players like Joseph, I think they check out behaviorwise when the going gets tough.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So sorry to hear that. Considering the time spent traveling, the gas and wear and tear on the vehicle going back and forth..

A hotel room might have been better..no. ?
I'm a truck driver. No need to be sorry. 5 hours of OT about doubles the day's pay.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you needed to click the link at the bottom to continue on... I refuse to play the click bait games and when I see that I have to click another link to continue, thats when I exit.

Agree. I also refuse most of the time to click a link if no substance is added.
I feel they should be required to post a synopsis of the article and not just the link. It is the epitome of lazy posting otherwise. Thread should be deleted if only a link is in the first post.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well..it shows a pattern of behavior as an organization of choosing rehab projects with known issues either physical or mental who have fallen down the draft and thinking we can rehab them. Same old philosophies in play as always. Our team can't change.

Isnt that the best way to obtain "value", yes it's got an element of risk, but being safe hasn't won many SB's in the CAP era.