Three mistakes Dallas made in the draft this year

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Because those issues were practically a lifetime ago for someone his age. Look, I get that we live in an extremely sensitive age concerning DV (and should be concerned about it overall), but just because someone had some serious problems four years ago doesn't mean that he can't turn his life around, especially with some maturity.
I don't disagree. but I heard it wasn't just once....and at that point in the draft, perhaps there were other players that we could have had. given his past, he may have been an UDFA and we could still get him..

regardless, I hope for his own sake, he is now over his problem. football or no football. as you said, this is serious stuff

RandyOh

Reaction score
Maybe im just not paying attention, but i really have not seen any real sort of backlash about the Josh Ball pick.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
1. Making Joseph the top CB
2. Drafting Josh Ball
3. Helping the Eagles get Devonta Smith
Haha, you are fired up about Smith aren’t you? Ah well, you probably deserve it after last years draft. And a few years before that.

Coming out of last year’s first two rounds with Reagor and Hurts was just brutal. Frankly, I wasn’t sure that Howie would survive in Philly long enough to make this year’s draft. He absolutely had to come out of this year’s first round with one of Chase, Waddle or Smith. It didn’t even matter how much the Eagles liked or didn’t like Smith… he had to be the pick at that point.

What’s bad is that Roseman very easily could have botched this first round too. If either Carolina or Denver hadn’t taken a CB, Dallas would have picked at 10 and Smith would be in NY right now and Howie would probably be in hiding somewhere.

I don’t know how well Smith will do in the NFL but he’ll be better than Reagor, for sure. I really like Smith’s mental makeup, so if anyone can be a success at his size, I think it’ll be him. He has the desire to overcome his lack of size and speed.

I’m just glad that Howie didn’t sit at 6 and take Waddle. That dude is going to be a nightmare.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't disagree. but I heard it wasn't just once....and at that point in the draft, perhaps there were other players that we could have had. given his past, he may have been an UDFA and we could still get him..

regardless, I hope for his own sake, he is now over his problem. football or no football. as you said, this is serious stuff

It wasn't. It was over a period of time. But that period of time was still four years ago. There is no information that we have that shows he has done anything like that since then. I doubt he would have been a UDFA for that reason, because it wasn't that recent ... unless teams had a reason to suspect that he had not learned his lesson and was still a danger.

For his sake, I hope he is a changed person. If he is, then for our football team, we likely got a very solid talent. I'll take the wait-and-see approach before calling it a mistake to pick him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
My issue isn't his issues...my issue is the Cowboys thinking they have to stoop so low to take this guy. He probably will work out. I'm all for giving 2nd chances...and in his case multiple chances...but why does it have to be the Cowboys? Are they that starved for talent?

Why is it stooping low? If you had done something four years ago, even if it was bad, and you had turned your life around, wouldn't you want someone to give you a chance.

I think we've just gotten to a point in our society where some see the words domestic violence and want to shun the person involved no matter when it was. The NFL got raked over the coals so it's even more sensitive to that. I'm glad that our team is giving the guy a chance. Of course, like I've said, I'm a believer in second chances, but this isn't even like some of the ones our team has done where it has signed someone pretty much immediately after they committed an offense.

This is a player whose talent was apparently higher than where he picked, so our team pounced on that after apparently vetting his past. Other teams may have been waiting a little longer to do it, but I have no problem with it being us.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
And lose a 3rd rounder...but you know a lot of these fans don't consider it a 3rd round pick since we used it on someone they dint' want.....
Golston is going to surprise some people. He’s a good football player that is tough, hard-nosed, smart and comes in well coached like guys from Iowa always do.

He’s going to be a good tool for Quinn to use on this DL.

Give me:
Parsons
Golston
And Smith in Philly

That is much better than:
Horn
With Smith in NY

I’ll take that any day over the second option.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Golston is going to surprise some people. He’s a good football player that is tough, hard-nosed, smart and comes in well coached like guys from Iowa always do.

He’s going to be a good tool for Quinn to use on this DL.

Give me:
Parsons
Golston
And Smith in Philly

That is much better than:
Horn
With Smith in NY

I’ll take that any day over the second option.
I agree 100%. I think with Golston...I think people are just chalking it up to similar players we've had in the past on the line but I Just have to take a step back and see what Quinn wants to do with this defense. A fresh new voice. Championship DC at one point. I'm putting my faith in him until proven otherwise.

Mannix

Reaction score
Easy....letting Booger, Chuckles, and Corky in the draft room.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why is it stooping low? If you had done something four years ago, even if it was bad, and you had turned your life around, wouldn't you want someone to give you a chance.

I think we've just gotten to a point in our society where some see the words domestic violence and want to shun the person involved no matter when it was. The NFL got raked over the coals so it's even more sensitive to that. I'm glad that our team is giving the guy a chance. Of course, like I've said, I'm a believer in second chances, but this isn't even like some of the ones our team has done where it has signed someone pretty much immediately after they committed an offense.

This is a player whose talent was apparently higher than where he picked, so our team pounced on that after apparently vetting his past. Other teams may have been waiting a little longer to do it, but I have no problem with it being us.

I'm all for giving guys more than one chance. I stated that above. I think its stooping low. Has nothing to do with society. Domestic violence issues...I just want nothing to do with them. I said the same thing about Greg Hardy, same thing about Ray Rice....I have no issue with teams giving them another chance I just don't get why it has to be Jerry and the Cowboys........but he's the guy who takes chances on guys tearing their knees up in college...he takes the risks. I just personally wouldn't have but he's a Cowboy and I root for the Cowboys so it is what it is.

Manster68

Reaction score
I may be dreaming, but I am so hoping Chauncy Golston becomes a Pro Bowl caliber, Michael Bennett type, run-stuffing Defensive End for the Cowboys.

Just to stick it to the Eagles.

EJK24

Reaction score
What a waste of a topic. How anyone can declare what we did wrong before any of these guys ever take a snap is beyond me.

Call me a Homer if it means being a fan who is optimistic but is well aware anything can happen.

I'll choose to wait it out rather then post nonsense like this.

Cebrin

Reaction score
1. Making Joseph the top CB
2. Drafting Josh Ball
3. Helping the Eagles get Devonta Smith
tenor.gif

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm all for giving guys more than one chance. I stated that above. I think its stooping low. Has nothing to do with society. Domestic violence issues...I just want nothing to do with them. I said the same thing about Greg Hardy, same thing about Ray Rice....I have no issue with teams giving them another chance I just don't get why it has to be Jerry and the Cowboys........but he's the guy who takes chances on guys tearing their knees up in college...he takes the risks. I just personally wouldn't have but he's a Cowboy and I root for the Cowboys so it is what it is.

Jerry loves a bargain and he's a wildcatter. Those two things lead to high-reward, high-risk situations. Now, he's not the only one, but he has one of the most high-profile franchises in the league, so when he takes a chance on a Pacman Jones, it's big news compared to when a team like Cincinnati picks him up after he fails here.