Twitter: Three reasons why Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott will remind fans why he's one of the top running backs in

starfan1

Reaction score
Sad then that we are paying that much for a grind it out type TB.
agreed you simply do not pay RB the kind of money that hes paid when you get the same production from other backs. The key to our running game has been less Zeke and more the Line. running backs that you pay that kind of money too needs to be generational. Hes not

quickccc

Reaction score
The Zeke of 2019 is a very fine running back. If he's that guy again, I'll be happy with his performance. That's about as good as a RB can be without explosive plays or impact as a receiver. And I don't expect to see either of those things show up.

Not me.
We drafted zeke 4th overall and made him highest paid RB (at that time) to be fear factor, to be uniquely different than what we could have had later on in draft.
I could have gotten methodical, grinding bell cow in later rounds.

The higher the investments, the higher the expectations.

He has to offer a huge reason why we could've went with a Derrick Henry in the 2nd round (instead of Jaylon Smith)
i could've got " angry runs " and 20+ runs from the likes of Henry, Chubb, etc.

I believe we actually managed to finished 5th in NFL rushing while still lighting it up yardage wise in passing game. That's a nice balance too.
But the splash plays, the homerun threat, busted runs, are utterly demoralizing and frustrating to defenders just as much as power runs.

The reason why Zeke is slimming, trimming down, hammering down agility and leg explosion drills is clearly the attempt to regain burst- agility that
he entered the NFL and allow him to take NFL by storm with.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fully expect it. Of course in my view it all starts up front with the Big Boys.
That's where it always is....zeke is no different than say...Emmitt. (or any good back/offense).

I'm hoping zeke does well too...that means a synergy that comes by doing well all around.

Dak too.

I want the "haters" be be quieted.

Sydla

Reaction score
That isn't all he is. What a silly thing to say. Haters...sheesh.

Ummm, that's what he is (or at least was recently). He lacks the explosion he had as a rookie. He's not a shifty TB at this point in his career. He's become, largely, a between the tackles pound the football type back that has to really rely on the OL in front of him. He's not even really all that great, like he was in 2016, in the passing game.

How would you describe Elliott at this point? Do you think he's an elite level back who has big play ability?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Less than 2 weeks until report day. Then we get to hear the good stuff from Jane Slater, and the bad stuff from Ed Werder, the ugly stuff from fans on here. :lmao:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I'm being honest I getting very tired of all the talk about how the Zeke of old is back and he is all of the sudden the best version of himself! Quite honestly Zeke has done stuff like this before, and as recent as his holdout when he was in Cabo making those stupid workout videos, and we all know how he played when he came back.

I think he is going to get out there and get hit in the mouth and and second guess himself and shift back into the declining back he really is. Honestly, I'm not a Zeke hater at all, but I'm going to call it as I see it using evidence.
You don’t have to read the threads about Zeke or anyone else you don’t like. Just skip them instead of whining about them.

visionary

Reaction score
If we are to win a SB with Dak as QB, Zeke will have to play a significant role because Dak is not that good when he is under pressure or throws a lot

therefore I’m hoping Zeke can bring it otherwise it’ll be the usual stat padding from Dak with little in terms of post season success

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
agreed you simply do not pay RB the kind of money that hes paid when you get the same production from other backs. The key to our running game has been less Zeke and more the Line. running backs that you pay that kind of money too needs to be generational. Hes not
Same production? He’s won the rushing title twice and he’s only 25. Quit easily huh.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And it always will. These backs go nowhere without good blockers up front no matter how good the back is.

Facing defender in the back field and fighting just to get back to the line of scrimmage is a losing battle for any RB. I do think Zeke has taken this challenge seriously as even those close to him are questioning (at least a piece I read) and he has dedicated himself this off season to answer the question.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ummm, that's what he is (or at least was recently). He lacks the explosion he had as a rookie. He's not a shifty TB at this point in his career. He's become, largely, a between the tackles pound the football type back that has to really rely on the OL in front of him. He's not even really all that great, like he was in 2016, in the passing game.

How would you describe Elliott at this point? Do you think he's an elite level back who has big play ability?

He hasn't been that great in pass game, for one,.. the obvious loss of burst and breakaway ability.
Two - And it doesn’t help matters that this current OC doesn’t place much creativity emphasis on the RBs in pass game.
It’s not just Zeke.

Even with Tony Pollard and his 4.37 speed and run skills ,why can’t/hasn't he been more dangerous in pass game under Kellen Moore ?
Aside from the lone slot TD vs Detroit, what have we seen from Pollard in the pass game, ?... Dump off passes ?

- The Quick RB screens were effective in 2016-17 era, but has become a dinosaur play under Kellen. He doesn’t appear to feel comfortable with it, and so it’s becomes less of a weaponry threat.
Irony is it’s the quick RB screens that manage to eat us alive on the other side of the ball on defense, but yet we cannot make it work for us , even with Pollard.

– Zeke is not shifty or elusive in pass game ala McCaffrery or Barkley, but we saw how he could be very effective and dangerous with those quick RB screens to homerun TDs
and some misdirection quick flair and wheel routes in early years

- You wanna know why Zeke has become more between the tackles runner (to which even Henry and Chubb are between tackle runners too) one matter is this is all Kellen knows,
I often wonder if he has been brain washed fed by past RB coaches (see Gary Brown) that they’ve persuaded him as to stay limited with this up the gut approach.
No split back formations, no misdirection counters, .and more and more up just the middle draw-plays, and lesser deep downhill handoffs.

Sydla

Reaction score
– Zeke is not shifty or elusive in pass game ala McCaffrery or Barkley, but we saw how he could be very effective and dangerous with those quick RB screens to homerun TDs
and some misdirection quick flair and wheel routes in early years

- You wanna know why Zeke has become more between the tackles runner (to which even Henry and Chubb are between tackle runners too) one matter is this is all Kellen knows,
I often wonder if he has been brain washed fed by past RB coaches (see Gary Brown) that they’ve persuaded him as to stay limited with this up the gut approach.
No split back formations, no misdirection counters, .and more and more up just the middle draw-plays, and lesser deep downhill handoffs.

The key point being "in early years". How confident are you that the Elliott we will see in 2021 will be similar to the guy who took a swing pass in the Steelers game his rookie year and 80 yards later was dancing in the endzone?

And scheme might have something to do with more between the tackling running but watch Elliott in recent years try to get outside on a run. He just doesn't have the burst in recent years that he had. Stats back this up. He lacks the explosive plays other elite backs have had recently and that can't all be blamed on Moore's scheme.

We'll know which Elliott we have after a couple of games. He's not going to become more explosive over a course of a season.

starfan1

Reaction score
Same production? He’s won the rushing title twice and he’s only 25. Quit easily huh.

because of our line not because his skill set. There are other backs that could have equaled or exceeded his production