Twitter: Three reasons why Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott will remind fans why he's one of the top running backs in

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
because of our line not because his skill set. There are other backs that could have equaled or exceeded his production

BS about his skill set, but you can't / won't admit it.
Only a few RB's could do what he did / does.
Still need vision to hit the holes once the OL opens them up. Or find that crease to get the tough dirty yards.
A 1 or 2 yard run for a 1st down means as much as a 20 yard run, depending what they are trying to do. Pollard and many RB's can't get those yards consistently. Zeke does.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not me.
We drafted zeke 4th overall and made him highest paid RB (at that time) to be fear factor, to be uniquely different than what we could have had later on in draft.
I could have gotten methodical, grinding bell cow in later rounds.

The higher the investments, the higher the expectations.

He has to offer a huge reason why we could've went with a Derrick Henry in the 2nd round (instead of Jaylon Smith)
i could've got " angry runs " and 20+ runs from the likes of Henry, Chubb, etc.

I believe we actually managed to finished 5th in NFL rushing while still lighting it up yardage wise in passing game. That's a nice balance too.
But the splash plays, the homerun threat, busted runs, are utterly demoralizing and frustrating to defenders just as much as power runs.

The reason why Zeke is slimming, trimming down, hammering down agility and leg explosion drills is clearly the attempt to regain burst- agility that
he entered the NFL and allow him to take NFL by storm with.
I don't get this at all.

"The higher the investments, the higher the expectations." Really? Zeke's contract influences what you expect to see from him on the field? I can't imagine how.
"He has to offer a huge reason why we could've went with a Derrick Henry..." That draft was years ago. The draft and the contract are water under the bridge. The question is, what can we reasonably expect from him this season?

If you're going to be unhappy unless he magically transforms into a player that he isn't, well then you're going to be unhappy.

I don't expect him to suddenly start ripping off long runs or running routes and catching passes like McCaffrey, no matter what work he's done in the offseason. He's not that guy. And all the preseason "best shape of his life, doing yoga/karate/special drills is going to make a huge difference!" is just happy-talk, 99 times out of 100.

I'm unhappy with the contract they gave Zeke. But again, that's water under the bridge and has no effect on my expectations. I'm hoping for the best Zeke we can reasonably expect to get, and I think 2019 Zeke is that level of performance. I'll be (pleasantly!) shocked if we get more than that.

GMO415

Reaction score
He's now an average back. We can't put the game on his back like we did with 33 and 22.

Sydla

Reaction score
Still need vision to hit the holes once the OL opens them up. Or find that crease to get the tough dirty yards.
A 1 or 2 yard run for a 1st down means as much as a 20 yard run, depending what they are trying to do. Pollard and many RB's can't get those yards consistently. Zeke does.

While I don't think any old RB could put up the numbers Zeke did, I think you overestimate how special Zeke is relative to other top backs in the league.

He's a good TB at this point (barring some transformation this year where he goes back to the explosive rookie level TB). But I think people thought he'd be truly special at this point in his career (some actually still think he's special) and he just isn't for a variety of reasons.

starfan1

Reaction score

sorry but I'm going to partially disagree. While there are few that possess the raw power he does. There are several that possess the vision in fact some have better. He is a good blocker but i don't necessarily see him as head and shoulders above others. I see him miss blocks just like the others. Ill give him a pass for last year as the turnstile was open at 3 of the 5 spots at different points in season.

and you're right I am not going to admit only a few do what he does. for 2 reasons one is because it isn't true and the other being I can't stand him. There are very few cases in my mind where a 1 or 2 yarder mean as much as a 20 yarder. I do however remember more than 1 occasion going on 4th and 1 and failing. I dont blame Zeke for that I blame the declining line or garrett's stupid situational playcalling

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I don't think any old RB could put up the numbers Zeke did, I think you overestimate how special Zeke is relative to other top backs in the league.

He's a good TB at this point (barring some transformation this year where he goes back to the explosive rookie level TB). But I think people thought he'd be truly special at this point in his career (some actually still think he's special) and he just isn't for a variety of reasons.

Need to look at the overall team also, it is the ultimate team sport.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The question is will he get his explosiveness back? That's the biggest concern. His lack of explosion, inability to turn smaller gains into big runs has led many to think he's already starting to regress. There is no question that the Elliott of recent years doesn't look like the rookie Elliott who appeared quicker, more explosive, etc.

If he's found some of that explosiveness again, he can be great. If he hasn't, he's just a decent/good TB at this point.

I'm not a great believer the in need for explosiveness. I believe Elliott needs some 20-plus-yard runs, but if he's not a home run back, that's less important IMO than being a back who regularly gets 4-plus yards per carry. Getting 5 yards on first down, for example, puts the defense in a bind because it has to be ready for the run and pass on second down. If he only gets a couple of yards, then defenses are going to be playing pass ... and we've shown that we'll rarely run in those situations.

Sydla

Reaction score
Need to look at the overall team also, it is the ultimate team sport.

This is a cop out statement IMO. Elite level players shouldn't need to fall back on "the team failed me" type commentary. The fact we need to says more about Elliott than you want to admit. If Elliott can perform or show his "elite" skill set due to the OL issues, for example, then he's not elite. Take Barkley for example. He's played behind some really crappy Giants OLs but even then, you can see the exceptional skill set, the explosiveness, the big play potential.

You just don't see that with Elliott anymore. Sure, having a good OL in front of him would help any TB but elite level guys can still show elite level skills and Elliott just doesn't seem to show that anymore (compared to his rookie year for example). He's a good RB right now. Can he be elite again? I have no idea.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know, but he shouldn't even take videos and "some how" publish them.....you see any body else doing it? why is it just Zeke? you tell me nobody else is working hard?
I think you're freaking out over something really, really small.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not a great believer the in need for explosiveness. I believe Elliott needs some 20-plus-yard runs, but if he's not a home run back, that's less important IMO than being a back who regularly gets 4-plus yards per carry. Getting 5 yards on first down, for example, puts the defense in a bind because it has to be ready for the run and pass on second down. If he only gets a couple of yards, then defenses are going to be playing pass ... and we've shown that we'll rarely run in those situations.

OK but there are TBs in this league who can get those 5 yards on first down and also take a hand off and end up 80 yards down the field. Zeke can't really do that anymore (at least hasn't shown that skill in recent years). Dalvin Cook averaged 5 yards per carry last year. Alvin Kamara averaged 5 yards per carry. Henry was at 5.4 yards. And all three were more explosive types than Elliott.

That's what can separate the elite backs from the good ones. For Zeke to be an elite back again, he needs to be able to be more like that rookie Elliott than the one in recent years that showed little ability to be a game changing back like a Henry, etc.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ummm, that's what he is (or at least was recently). He lacks the explosion he had as a rookie. He's not a shifty TB at this point in his career. He's become, largely, a between the tackles pound the football type back that has to really rely on the OL in front of him. He's not even really all that great, like he was in 2016, in the passing game.

How would you describe Elliott at this point? Do you think he's an elite level back who has big play ability?

Before we proceed....I just want to make sure you have defined Elliot's career (NCAA too) as...."shifty".

One thing I will tell you is I am throwing out all the data as well as any "eye test" from 2020...as I am doing with just about everyone. A couple exceptions are not relevant here. Not sure if that helps or hinders our conversation but...there it is.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK but there are TBs in this league who can get those 5 yards on first down and also take a hand off and end up 80 yards down the field. Zeke can't really do that anymore (at least hasn't shown that skill in recent years). Dalvin Cook averaged 5 yards per carry last year. Alvin Kamara averaged 5 yards per carry. Henry was at 5.4 yards. And all three were more explosive types than Elliott.

That's what can separate the elite backs from the good ones. For Zeke to be an elite back again, he needs to be able to be more like that rookie Elliott than the one in recent years that showed little ability to be a game changing back like a Henry, etc.

With bad blocking and bad play calling.....let's lay every single ounce of blame on Zeke.

(not to say he is innocent of any....but imho....Moore doesn't manage the RB's very well. His "game plan" for Pollard is largely when Zeke raises his hand. Terrible!)

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The key point being "in early years". How confident are you that the Elliott we will see in 2021 will be similar to the guy who took a swing pass in the Steelers game his rookie year and 80 yards later was dancing in the endzone?

And scheme might have something to do with more between the tackling running but watch Elliott in recent years try to get outside on a run. He just doesn't have the burst in recent years that he had. Stats back this up. He lacks the explosive plays other elite backs have had recently and that can't all be blamed on Moore's scheme.

We'll know which Elliott we have after a couple of games. He's not going to become more explosive over a course of a season.

Why not give him that chance and cool down on it a bit?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a cop out statement IMO. Elite level players shouldn't need to fall back on "the team failed me" type commentary. The fact we need to says more about Elliott than you want to admit. If Elliott can perform or show his "elite" skill set due to the OL issues, for example, then he's not elite. Take Barkley for example. He's played behind some really crappy Giants OLs but even then, you can see the exceptional skill set, the explosiveness, the big play potential.

You just don't see that with Elliott anymore. Sure, having a good OL in front of him would help any TB but elite level guys can still show elite level skills and Elliott just doesn't seem to show that anymore (compared to his rookie year for example). He's a good RB right now. Can he be elite again? I have no idea.

Barkley's skill set? That is BS. He is quick and can hit the home run TD, but how often does he do that. How often does any RB do that. He gets tackled for losses as much as he makes a run less than 5 yards.
This is a cop out statement IMO using Barkley.
Need a first down, give it to Zeke. Give it to Barkely, and more times than not you are punting. Barkley's OL weren't al that horrible like some make it out to be. That is to meet their narrative.
Like the old Emmitt vs. Barry. Barry had 2 all pro OL when he got there, and they drafted an OL that became all pro. Nate Newton said not one of them was all pro or in the pro bowl until Emmitt got there.

Zeke does have work to do to get back to near his rookie form. 2019 he was out of shape, and it showed, even with that OL. 2020 playing behind 3rd and 4th team OL & QB's, playing with a bad hamstring and calf, it showed, but still not an excuse overall. It was not a good 2 years.

And from the reports he will be in shape to do so. Just hope the team around him are back in form also.
I have no idea how Barkley will be recovering from his knee injury. Will he be as fast, or will he lose something, regardless of his OL.
Both RB's have something to prove with or without team help. And both teams, their opponents will key on them before they do the QB's.

Sydla

Reaction score
Before we proceed....I just want to make sure you have defined Elliot's career (NCAA too) as...."shifty".

One thing I will tell you is I am throwing out all the data as well as any "eye test" from 2020...as I am doing with just about everyone. A couple exceptions are not relevant here. Not sure if that helps or hinders our conversation but...there it is.

Where did I define his career as "shifty"? But he had more stop and start, cutting speed earlier than he has had in recent years.

It's convenient, I guess, to throw out an entire season when it doesn't help your argument but Elliott wasn't all that explosive in 2019 either. He's just a good TB at this point in his career who can grind out yards but likely isn't going to rip off a 75 yard TD run like some of his peers can (and something he could do at OSU and earlier in his NFL career).

Has he regained that quickness and explosiveness that made him an elite back as a rookie, for example? We are about to find out.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where did I define his career as "shifty"? But he had more stop and start, cutting speed earlier than he has had in recent years.

It's convenient, I guess, to throw out an entire season when it doesn't help your argument but Elliott wasn't all that explosive in 2019 either. He's just a good TB at this point in his career who can grind out yards but likely isn't going to rip off a 75 yard TD run like some of his peers can (and something he could do at OSU and earlier in his NFL career).

Has he regained that quickness and explosiveness that made him an elite back as a rookie, for example? We are about to find out.
You said "shifty" in your objection to my comments.

It just wouldn't be something I would use to describe elliot.

Every running back needs a LITTLE of that to find the hole.