Twitter: Three reasons why Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott will remind fans why he's one of the top running backs in

Hardline

Reaction score
Third year in a row we've heard this.
They say the third time is the charm.
Everyone seems to forget that Zeke was drafted to pair with Romo. Zeke with Romo would've been twice as effective.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wait...he's using Barkley in his argument? :facepalm:

Yes, to highlight that guy's who have explosive traits can show it despite also having issues like a suspect OL or blah QB play like Barkley has. Substitute McCaffery or Kamara or Cook for Barkley, the point remains the same. To blame the lack of explosiveness and big play ability on the team around Elliott is just weak IMO.

Elliott isn't the same TB (or at least hasn't been) he was as a rookie. I think that's clear as day. I think to blame the team around him for that regression and what looks like a decline in his skill set is flawed analysis.

Creeper

Reaction score
I'd like to see him run a 40 so we can see how many tenths he lost since he came into the league.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Blah blah blah. We'll believe it when & IF we see it.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't get this at all.

"The higher the investments, the higher the expectations." Really? Zeke's contract influences what you expect to see from him on the field? I can't imagine how.
"He has to offer a huge reason why we could've went with a Derrick Henry..." That draft was years ago. The draft and the contract are water under the bridge. The question is, what can we reasonably expect from him this season?

If you're going to be unhappy unless he magically transforms into a player that he isn't, well then you're going to be unhappy.

I don't expect him to suddenly start ripping off long runs or running routes and catching passes like McCaffrey, no matter what work he's done in the offseason. He's not that guy. And all the preseason "best shape of his life, doing yoga/karate/special drills is going to make a huge difference!" is just happy-talk, 99 times out of 100.

I'm unhappy with the contract they gave Zeke. But again, that's water under the bridge and has no effect on my expectations. I'm hoping for the best Zeke we can reasonably expect to get, and I think 2019 Zeke is that level of performance. I'll be (pleasantly!) shocked if we get more than that.

That years ago draft still involves the very same player we are counting upon so very heavily in our drive-hunt for the SB,.. the same player from that draft class that we selected 4th overall is supposed to be one of our very nucleus core players for years to come.

If you draft a top 5 overall player, he’s supposed to a catalytic player that affects both sides of the ball for years to come.

- A 4th overall pick is indeed a very high investment, ..so why would you Not expect such high expectations ?
Why are you making him the highest paid RB, if you don’t expect his performance and productivity to influence the playing field ?
If it’s water under a bridge as you say,.. then are we just giving him “charity’ money ?

What to reasonably expect this year from Zeke ?
- I want the Zeke’s 2016 physical form and burst. That’s the leading task of his off-season regiment;

- And as we’re not likely to be the same 2016 run first, run heavy carry team as back as that era, the dynamics have changed to where we’ll be more of a passing team led by Dak. With not likely as many rush carries, it’s more impervious that we have a better chance for splash-dash 20-+ plays than bell cow pounding ball control carries of yesterday years.

- If I can get that same 2016 Zeke back, I’ll more than welcome that re-signed high dollar contract.
If he’s Not that kind of guy, then it would become more pointless to have him even digging up this kind of regiment workout program in trying to recapture that previous burst and agility.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Could be a big bounce back year for Zeke. Here's to hope.

Story missed just how much the offense around Zeke will be improved this year relative to last year. Dak, Tyron, Martin, Collins, Jarwin all back. Gallup and Lamb should only improve.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How do you know? You don’t.
I bet if there was a line in Vegas on that, it would be odds - not.
Best bet on Zeke is to let Zeke do what he can do best and thats be healthy late in the season and post season.
Need that RB3 that can share some load in this extended season, hope one of the rooks can shine and we keep 3 RBs,, FBs are fazed these days.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
OK but there are TBs in this league who can get those 5 yards on first down and also take a hand off and end up 80 yards down the field. Zeke can't really do that anymore (at least hasn't shown that skill in recent years). Dalvin Cook averaged 5 yards per carry last year. Alvin Kamara averaged 5 yards per carry. Henry was at 5.4 yards. And all three were more explosive types than Elliott.

That's what can separate the elite backs from the good ones. For Zeke to be an elite back again, he needs to be able to be more like that rookie Elliott than the one in recent years that showed little ability to be a game changing back like a Henry, etc.

Averaging 5 yards per carry as an explosive back usually means you've also got a lot of no-gain or short-gain runs. Obviously, that levels out some depending on how many carries the back has. For example, one 80-yard run is not going over affect the average of a back who had 300-plus carries, but if 5 yards per carry can be misleading for a back who has a couple of really long runs in a more limited amount of carries.

To me, if Elliott averages 5-plus per carry and has a few 20- to 30-yard runs sprinkled in, I'd be happy with that because it means he's being effective overall. Fewer 3 yards and a cloud of dust and more 4-yard-plsu runs. Those put pressure on a defense. Run for 4 yards on first down, and second down is run or pass. Run for 4 yards on second down, and third down is run or pass.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- A 4th overall pick is indeed a very high investment, ..so why would you Not expect such high expectations ?
I didn't draft him. I also have a lot more information now than I did then. My expectations are based on the information I have available to me.
Why are you making him the highest paid RB, if you don’t expect his performance and productivity to influence the playing field ?
I didn't pay him. I have no reason to base my expectations on his paycheck. I base my expectations on his career to date, his age and other factors that are relevant to his on-field performance, not his contract (which isn't).
If it’s water under a bridge as you say,.. then are we just giving him “charity’ money ?
Again, I'm not paying him. The Cowboys are paying him more money than I would like. Let me ask you this: if they doubled his salary tomorrow, would you expect him to perform better on the field? I wouldn't.
What to reasonably expect this year from Zeke ?
- I want the Zeke’s 2016 physical form and burst. That’s the leading task of his off-season regiment;
I want him to learn to fly and score a TD on every play. What I want and what I can reasonably expect are completely different things.
- If I can get that same 2016 Zeke back, I’ll more than welcome that re-signed high dollar contract.
Sure. Me too. But I have no expectation that it'll happen. In my experience, that's not the sort of thing that does happen.
If he’s Not that kind of guy, then it would become more pointless to have him even digging up this kind of regiment workout program in trying to recapture that previous burst and agility.
I expect his regimen to have zero observable impact on his burst and agility. I mean, I expect that he'll be in good shape--at least we're not hearing that he's living on Twinkies and skipping out on his workouts, so that's good. But I don't expect any of that stuff to get him back to anything more than his 2019 form. Hey, I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I bet if there was a line in Vegas on that, it would be odds - not.
Best bet on Zeke is to let Zeke do what he can do best and thats be healthy late in the season and post season.
Need that RB3 that can share some load in this extended season, hope one of the rooks can shine and we keep 3 RBs,, FBs are fazed these days.

We have to be careful with "preserving" Zeke. I understand what you are saying...but zeke is a 'pound the rock" running back. Even at tOSU, he might get 50 yards in the 1st half then 100+ in the second.

It's where the annoying "feed me" came from. Urban knew it but Moore....wants to pass.

Now...do we have a team NOW...that can do that? We'll have to see if our O-line can regroup. We'll have to see if we can go up or at least be even with teams through 2 quarters. We'll have to see if Moore can...EFFECTIVELY...operate a 1-2 (3) punch at RB. Those 3 spots have given us fits lately...and zeke is the easy target with it. It's EASY to say "but zeke"...and people think they are so in-the-know and kool kids klub about it.

You can't put zeke on ice.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We have to be careful with "preserving" Zeke. I understand what you are saying...but zeke is a 'pound the rock" running back. Even at tOSU, he might get 50 yards in the 1st half then 100+ in the second.

It's where the annoying "feed me" came from. Urban knew it but Moore....wants to pass.

Now...do we have a team NOW...that can do that? We'll have to see if our O-line can regroup. We'll have to see if we can go up or at least be even with teams through 2 quarters. We'll have to see if Moore can...EFFECTIVELY...operate a 1-2 (3) punch at RB. Those 3 spots have given us fits lately...and zeke is the easy target with it. It's EASY to say "but zeke"...and people think they are so in-the-know and kool kids klub about it.

No, and agree, not talking about putting Zeke ever on Ice, he has to be managed.
Meaning if we are in a good lead, and just need a closer,,, having that RB3 can keep Zeke fresher late,,, having a healthy fresh Zeke when it matters most is what should be the focus.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

and not just for Zeke but Pollard is an emerging star in the making.
Most teams have 3 decent RBs, its a rough gig and they take a pounding,, this roster is looking for that RB3, got a couple decent rook prospects but 26 year old Gurley is hanging out if we get twitchy.

Big_D

Reaction score
He's now an average back. We can't put the game on his back like we did with 33 and 22.

Some are still under this ridiculous illusion that he's just as good as either of them.