Tick, tock, tick, tock. well?

erod

Reaction score
Today, right? Surely, no later than tomorrow. This is way past the point of absurdity.

It's time for the NFL to announce what, if any, suspension is going to be given to Zeke Elliott. The team needs to know so it can prepare. Zeke needs to know so he can contemplate his appeal.

More than a year, and nothing? The NFL should be investigated for its colossally inept ability to conduct an investigation.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm a bit torn. If he was suspended today and he appealed, then Goodell could perhaps hear that appeal before the start of the season and still keep Zeke out of the Giants game. (This, I'm convinced, is the Mara's plan working in the background.)

However, if the league continues to wait, that appeal hearing won't be scheduled until after Week 1, and the Giants will get a lathered-up and pissed-off Zeke to start the season.

Bottom line, there simply isn't enough here to suspend a player over. I think the league has cornered itself with that reality, and they don't know what to do. They want to suspend, but they know how weak their case is, and it could set a dangerous precedent for future CBA negotiations.

What a joke.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he is suspended for a game or 2 then I hope the Cowboys just eat the suspension unless they feel like they can draw it out for a year.

I would rather just get it over with then get in a situation like the Eagles did last year with Lane Johnson being suspended mid-year.

This season is setting up to get off to a rocky start. Especially on defense.

I don't think we'll know what kind of team we really are until late October. I just hope we can somehow pull off another first round bye like we did last year.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How about Zeke conduct himself like a professional Football player and therefore wouldn't give the NFL constant incidents to investigate, because but for his conduct off the field, he wouldn't be facing an investigation and possible suspension.
Agreed. But it comes across as when the NFL is obviously manipulating the situation and prolonging something that should have been decided long ago.

It almost seems as if they're hoping Zeke will screw up again so they have more ammo to use before they announce anything.

Lutonio

Reaction score
The NFL is very particular when it breaks news. My guess is it nothing's come up at this point because they didn't want it to cast any bad light around the Jerry Jones Hall of Fame induction. With that out of the way what will probably happen is an announcement on Friday like they always do so that it can roll into the weekend and hopefully be lost in the shuffle.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Agreed. But it comes across as when the NFL is obviously manipulating the situation and prolonging something that should have been decided long ago.

It almost seems as if they're hoping Zeke will screw up again so they have more ammo to use before they announce anything.

I think if Zeke is suspended for a game or two, it won't be because of one particular incident, it will be as a result of numerous smaller incidents that the league deems a pattern of behavior under the player conduct policy and because there has been so many smaller incidents in the last year, the league is waiting as long as they can to see if something else comes up on the radar that allows them to suspend him.....I don't believe this notion Mara has soemthing to do with it....that's just my two cents.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think if Zeke is suspended for a game or two, it won't be because of one particular incident, it will be as a result of numerous smaller incidents that the league deems a pattern of behavior under the player conduct policy and because there has been so many smaller incidents in the last year, the league is waiting as long as they can to see if something else comes up on the radar that allows them to suspend him.....I don't believe this notion Mara has soemthing to do with it....that's just my two cents.

I just feel that it's immoral to be waiting around in hopes that something else will come up. But you're right, thanks to his track record, the league probably won't have to wait long for Zeke to give them more.

That, and they NFL is super sensitive to public perception, so I think Gooddell is overly worried about making the "right decision".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My concern is Jerrys mouth on the matter and culture here with suspended players is going to influence the decision.

Without Jerry and our history here I believe it's clear cut there's no suspension.

erod

Reaction score
How about Zeke conduct himself like a professional Football player and therefore wouldn't give the NFL constant incidents to investigate, because but for his conduct off the field, he wouldn't be facing an investigation and possible suspension.
Agree, but it doesn't take more than a year to investigate a domestic violence charge that was dropped by the police a long time ago.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
League office apparently leaks details of looming Ezekiel Elliott suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on August 7, 2017, 11:57 AM EDT
815792970-e1502121291915.jpg

Getty Images

Two years ago, someone at 345 Park Avenue leaked to Stephen A. Smith of ESPN the notion that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady had destroyed his cell phone in connection with the #Deflategate investigation. Within a day of the leak, Brady was suspended four games due in part to the allegation that he’d destroyed his cell phone.

Now, it seems like someone at 345 Park Avenue has leaked to Cris Carter of FS1 the notion that Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott is about to be suspended, with some eye-opening details.

Via Ryan Glasspiegel of TheBigLead.com, Carter said on FS1’s Undisputed that “in the next 48 hours I would be shocked if Zeke was not suspended.” Carter added that, “based on the information that’s going to come out, it’s going to be fairly easy to determine that something happened to this woman in her four days of being with Zeke.” (The specific allegation is that Elliott committed five acts of domestic violence in a six-day window.)

Carter described the situation as a case of “assault or domestic violence,” and Carter hinted that “when the information comes out there’s going to be some similarities” to Tom Brady’s suspension, including “information that he had been advised possibly to give up, that was destroyed.”

Carter ultimately suggested that Elliott’s banishment will be in the range of Brady’s four-game suspension. If this happens, it will contradict multiple proclamations from Cowboys owner Jerry Jones regarding the absence of any evidence of domestic violence.

That said, there’s no guarantee that Carter’s comments will be borne out by the eventual facts. He was careful to couch his terms in a way that would protect him from @OldTakesExposed, stopping short of reporting anything but merely sharing what he’s hearing. (Then again, Smith used similar tiptoe terms with Brady, prompting a negative reaction from him to our posts on the issue and generating some of our all-time favorite drops from his daily radio show, including “Mike Florio needs to grow the hell up” and “Would you please break a damn story?”)

If what Carter is hearing is accurate, it’s likely not a coincidence that someone from the league office saw fit to prime the pump by leaking startling information about Brady’s case in 2015 and now Elliott’s case to one of the weekday morning #EmbraceDebate shows. Getting inflammatory information into the public domain now makes it less stunning when the league issues its press release.

It’s nevertheless odd that the league office would see fit to hand such sensitive information regarding crime and punishment to a player who once urged rookies to arrange for a fall guy.

erod

Reaction score
Yes, but it's BS.

There's simply nothing here to justify it. Nothing concrete at all. Just a bunch of stuff that amounts to cussing and tomfoolery.

And they know it.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Oh lord. So the police couldn't find anything of the sort, but somehow the NFL is able to find this ground breaking evidence that Zeke destroyed incriminating evidence? And then that information gets unanimously leaked to the media?

Is this a soap opera????
If that is the case and it is true the NFL is going to lose some fans. This is down right psychotic....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, but it's BS.

There's simply nothing here to justify it. Nothing concrete at all. Just a bunch of stuff that amounts to cussing and tomfoolery.

And they know it.
Nothing that we've been privy too anyway.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Anyone else find it odd the league brought in a group of police officers to review the case the last week or so to see what they think?

erod

Reaction score
If the league office has been reduced to leaking information to a creep like Cris Carter - who has a laundry list of offenses in his past and once stood up and told rookies to make sure they have a "fall guy" to take the blame for everything they do - then the NFL deserves a massive lawsuit from the NFLPA and Zeke.

In fact, the NFLPA should threaten to boycott Week 1.