Time is up to give Dak the benefit of the doubt

garyo1954

Reaction score
I have no problem with the guy getting all the money he can. But here's the problem......

Dallas has Dak at 31.6
Dallas has Amari at 20
Dallas has Zeke at 15
Dallas has DLaw at 23.5

Added up that comes to 90.1 million tied up in 4 players. You can't build a team when you have almost half the cap taken up by 4 players.

If you look at the teams with the most highest paid players, you see
Cowboys (3), Seahawks (2), Colts (2), Bears (2), Eagles (2), Dolphins (2)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-2020-nfl-all-highest-paid-team/ar-BB11qbFT

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Ohhh ok I see what you're saying. I agree with that. But even with years left on his deal he could've did what Zeke did who had 2 years left on his deal. He could've sat out for more. He could've complained. He didn't.
He didn’t complain for two reasons. Well three. 1). Since he wasn’t a first round pick, I don’t think his contract could’ve been redone until after three years. So, only one year was at issue, unlike Zeke where two years were at issue. 2). He knew he was going to get paid a huge sum after his fourth year. It was a given. He was betting that his play in his fourth year along with additional QB contracts and the escalating salary cap would bump his contract. 3). He just doesn’t seem to be the type to upset the apple cart.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I really don't care about the past, since as a team we have not made any playoff noise during his 4 years. As a fan of the team and not just a player, I want what's best for the team. Again, as a fan of the team I'm not okay with making Dak the highest paid QB when he is not the best QB in the NFL.

Of course I'm looking at this from a what's best for the team perspective, others may be looking at it from what's best for "their favorite player".
It's not Prescott's fault the staff didn't capitalize in those 4 years. I do what I can to sign because without him, we're rebuilding again and that's not what's in the best interest of the team. Next it will be the O line and another stretch without a competent QB. Market value dictates the salaries. In a year, his contract won't even be talked about.
The delay if the number of years.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
When comparing Dak to Zeke you also have to consider the positions they play. QBs can play well and get paid huge sums of money into their late 30’s and now even early 40’s. RB’s? Not so much. They have a very short period of time to make their money and are paid substantially less as well. Those are just the facts of the NFL today.

RS12

Reaction score
Says who? Go back and watch the Jets, Patriots, Bill's, Bears and last Eagles games. Even the Keystone cops that run the franchise haven't come to that determination.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
It's not Prescott's fault the staff didn't capitalize in those 4 years. I do what I can to sign because without him, we're rebuilding again and that's not what's in the best interest of the team. Next it will be the O line and another stretch without a competent QB. Market value dictates the salaries. In a year, his contract won't even be talked about.
I’m 100% sure the team is doing everything to sign him and I fully believe they will if there’s a little reasonable compromise from Dak’s team. If they stick to their guns and won’t budge, make him play on the tag this year.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Yes, Dak is going against the norm here. Players normally want a long term contract to protect themselves against injury and declining production. Guaranteed money has more to do with declining production. Dak wants a short term contract so he can try to get even more money in a few years. Greedy? I guess that’s in the eye of the beholder. Regardless, it’s a hell of a gamble on his part. What If he has a serious injury? What if his play declines? I guess it’s his gamble to take, but it’s risky as hell.
If I’m the FO, I’d go ahead and sign him to the shorter contract he wants (3 years I think) as long as the per year is reasonable. Near the end of the contract they can resign him if they so desire or let him go and draft another QB. In three years, our current OL will possibly be in decline depending on how we manage the draft. Zeke could also be in decline. Those are unknowns right now. Sign him because we’re built to win now, but don’t give away the farm regarding the per year.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Of Course he should be paid more than Russel.. If you take a look at Russels first 4 years compare to Dak's, you will be surprised:
Year for Russel: 2012-2015
Years for Dak: 2016-2019
Games: 64-64
Wins: Rus: 46 Dak: 40
Losses: 18-24
Winning %: .719 - .625
Pass Compl: 1123-1363
Pass Attempts: 1735-2071
Comple %: 64.7-65.8
Pass Yards: 13974-15778
TD: 106-97
INT: 34-36
Rushing Yards: 2430-1221
Game Winning Drives: 18-14
QB Rating: 101.8-97.1

Better Pass Comple, Attempts , Completions and Yards more for Dak..

Therefore Dak should be payed more than Russel.. Even if he has 1 SB...The whole team wins SB not the QB only, excluding
Brady..

what hast fantasy football wrought?

LOL. Better “attempts”?

silvernblu

Reaction score
Prescott gave the franchise 4 solid and productive seasons, never missing a single game for under 1 million per year. He deserves whatever he can get, not what some entitled fans think. Endorsements have nothing to do with it.
The mistake was not extending him earlier. The longer they wait, the high the market is.

isn’t that how Jerry used to think that put us in cap he’ll?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Time is up to give Dak the benefit of the doubt.

I think this organization has been more than fair to Dak with their offer They have indicated they are willing to gamble everything on him despite (let’s be honest) him not proving himself yet. They’ve already taken the step to offer more than he’s worth.

Last year, even the first three stellar weeks, accuracy was still (and always will be) a problem.

And for the life of me, I don’t understand how he doesn’t realize that QB of Dallas Cowboys is worth 10x more in his post NFL life and endorsements than going to a small market afterthought.

He has proven he does not care anything about this franchise and his teammates. Surprising, yes, but now clear to any unbiased observer.

It is time to seek trade offers from other teams and think about moving on. We do not want to hitch our wagon to this horse.
Stopped reading after this as he's proved himself over and over again. Why do you think they want to give him 34mill a year? Just to make him feel good?

silvernblu

Reaction score
He should get paid tops because in 4 years it'll be average

He should be paid tops because in 4 years he's better than the rookies coming out

He should be paid tops because, despite endorsements, doesn't have a rich wife

He should be paid tops because we have cooper rush

He should be paid tops because I've never heard a defender ever criticize his play in any way

He should be paid tops because he's never at fault or the reason why we lose games.

love the sarcasm!

silvernblu

Reaction score
I’m a big Dak supporter and have been since the beginning. I want him to be resigned. Having said that, his contract demands are bordering on the ridiculous. I’d make him a final offer of whatever the FO is willing to pay, tell him that’s the final offer, and if he doesn’t accept it, he should seek out a trade. I’d either want him signed or traded before the draft.

well said. That’s essentially my point.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Evidence? Link? Proof?
AC
I'm really beginning to think Dak wants out because I have never seen a negotiation so one sided or take so long. Im really surprised Dak didnt take the last offer of 34 mil. He should of taken the offer before the season. But this contract has been dragging on and there must be some serious issues for it not to be done yet. I dont think it's going to get done either and think this franchise tag is the beginning of the end. But hey that's just my opinion.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
AC
I'm really beginning to think Dak wants out because I have never seen a negotiation so one sided or take so long. Im really surprised Dak didnt take the last offer of 34 mil. He should of taken the offer before the season. But this contract has been dragging on and there must be some serious issues for it not to be done yet. I dont think it's going to get done either and think this franchise tag is the beginning of the end. But hey that's just my opinion.
HE, did you forget Emmitt's ugly big contract negotiations of 1993 where it dragged out all offseason, causing him to miss training camp AND the first 2 games of the 1993 season? That was his first BIG contract where Emmitt demanded and Jerry delivered on paying him top overall position pay throughout the whole league.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
A whole damned lot! Hell get many times more from endorsements as the Dallas QB than say Jacksonville, Cincinnati, or really any other market.
That's pretty subjective. Any idea about a somewhat realistic expectation? How much more did Romo make than say Dalton has made in Cincy?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
HE, did you forget Emmitt's ugly big contract negotiations of 1993 where it dragged out all offseason, causing him to miss training camp AND the first 2 games of the 1993 season? That was his first BIG contract where Emmitt demanded and Jerry delivered on paying him top overall position pay throughout the whole league.
Emmitt was clearly the best RB in the game and the money, while large for the position at the time, still wasn’t QB money. QB money has by far the biggest impact on a teams’s salary cap. Not even in question.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
That's pretty subjective. Any idea about a somewhat realistic expectation? How much more did Romo make than say Dalton has made in Cincy?
I would guess quite a bit. Simple logic. The Cowboys are still the most visible franchise in the NFL and the most valuable in all of sports. Advertising dollars are spent where the results are seen and noticed by the most people. It’s not difficult to know the answer even without actually researching the numbers.

Of course you have to factor in how much a certain player wants to do ads, commercials, etc. Some seek it out more than others.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Some of the same posters wanting to give Dak $38-$40 mil per year will be the same ones *****ing because we didn’t sign a safety or DT and/or because our defense couldn’t hold up next season. Mark it down.
Nope better not hear a peep, Dak better carry us to a super bowl every year. And if he's around long enough to play with a pathetic oline and receivers he better be making plays

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I would guess quite a bit. Simple logic. The Cowboys are still the most visible franchise in the NFL and the most valuable in all of sports. Advertising dollars are spent where the results are seen and noticed by the most people. It’s not difficult to know the answer even without actually researching the numbers.

Of course you have to factor in how much a certain player wants to do ads, commercials, etc. Some seek it out more than others.
Well, it does seem logical. Now I want to see how much it actually translates in dollars and cents. I'm trying to see if I can find how much Tony used to make in endorsements a year.