Time to bring back Vinny and cut Romo!

aikemirv

Reaction score
I really have not taken the time to read all 8 pages of this thread but to the subject line I do not think Vinny gets the call UNTIL Bledsoe gets injured (if he does at all). Vinny will be available I would think at any time so why give up what you have invested in Romo or Henson until you absolutely have to?

He knows the offense and the players, he would be ready in a week assuming he is keeping in shape which I bet he is.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
kartr said:
Last time I looked Carter helped two teams in the last 2 years to make the playoffs. What did the Browns,Dolphins,49'ers gain by not signing him? What did the Cowboys gain by releasing him; a return trip to Celler Dweller land.

They kept a mediocre substance abuser off their team.

Tell you what, why don't you wake me up when the great QC signs with someone other than a CFL or AFL team.

fortdick

Reaction score
All off season evryone moaned about a 32 year old QB, and Henson should be the starter. Now we need a 42 year old to save us?

After the first week of practice, everyone wants to dump Henson, or Romo, and bring in someone that knows nothing about the playbook, or the personnel. That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard!

Get a grip folks!

silver

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
He knows the offense and the players, he would be ready in a week assuming he is keeping in shape which I bet he is.

and if he's taking his geritol.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
junk said:
Tell you what, why don't you wake me up when the great QC signs with someone other than a CFL or AFL team.

fld2-10.jpg

Junk...Enjoy your rest...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Alexander said:
That is impossible.

The QB situation creates widespread panic in these parts.

I wonder what message boards would have looked like if they were around back during the Aikman/Walsh days. Or better, the White/Hogeboom days. Or even much better, the Staubach/Morton days. :)

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I actually think Vinny Testaverde is a quality backup. I thought he performed quite well in the first few games before his arm got tired late in the season. It's just as a full-time starter, he's a major weakness.

I'm not for cutting either Romo or Henson, so I don't see a way (in my mind) to bring Testaverde in. But if we can somehow keep those two young guys and sign Vinny without compromising a young prospect elsewhere, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dale said:
I actually think Vinny Testaverde is a quality backup. I thought he performed quite well in the first few games before his arm got tired late in the season. It's just as a full-time starter, he's a major weakness.

I'm not for cutting either Romo or Henson, so I don't see a way (in my mind) to bring Testaverde in. But if we can somehow keep those two young guys and sign Vinny without compromising a young prospect elsewhere, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

A good back up is someone who can come in with very little practice and perform. Vinny had all of training camp last year. If he were the back up, he would see less than 10% of the snaps in practice. A couple of people have noted that he needs much more to get going.

I remember watching him play a couple of years ago in the opening game for the Jets against the Commanders. Pennington was injured about 1 1/2 weeks earlier. Vinny looked terrible. He threw many passes into the ground. He had no rthym or timing.

Now being two years older, it may take him longer to get going in a game. Might as well see a young guy go in.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
Dale said:

thank you for a post that has team interests first. i agree with your assessment of testaverde and his ability at this stage of his career.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:

While I mostly agree with that, the biggest thing is we would be humiliated by all Cowboy haters for bringing VT back. Personally I would call in sick to work the next day if we resigned him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble...but Henson is what he is too. And that is, lucky to see the field before he's 30.

Vinny Testeverde is 100x the Qb now that Henson will be in his prime...if he ever reaches a "prime". If VT can beat him out soundly for the starting job, Bledsoe is going to be doing that for 5-6 more years. Really now, yall think we'll still be waiting on Henson then? Lol. Oh hell..

If nobody beleives that, believe this...Bledsoe is not going to just turn that starting job over anytime soon. He's here to "join the likes of Staubach and Aikman". He's back with the one coach whom above all else has had the most faith in him. Give him one young stud WR and he's got one sweet looking arsenal of talent to play with for his entire time here. He will fight and scratch and claw for as long as is humanly possible for him to do it...all to play the most glorified position in all of pro sports..........starting Quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys!

This isn't pubescent Quincy Carter writing a book report. This is a capable, talented, qb, stepping into a dream situation, and he plans on making the absolute most of it, period.

If people really want to focus their eyes on the future of the position, my suggetion is watching some High School games. That's where our next QB is right now. Not sitting on the bench, waiting for midnight, for when he turns back into a baseball losing pumpkin with cross-eyes.

Now that's a good post. Don't know how long he'll be here or what Henson will or won't do but great take on Bledsoe's perspective and how I think he'll want to handle his end.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think VT can step with very little need to practice up. I'm in favor of waiting on those two young guys to declare themselves as best they can this preseason. I'd say they have two weeks left before coach starts getting ansy about who steps on the field if Bledsoe goes down. If neither can step it up then I think coach will consider cutting one and adding a veteran. Not sure it's VT but I think he's capable as a backup.

Kilyin

Reaction score

I don't know about the whole wearing down at the end of the season theory. I think Vinny is more hot and cold, just plain inconsistent. He was wearing down (if that's what you want to call it) by week 2 against Cleveland. It's amazing that we won that game, as hard as Vinny tried to give it away with stupid interceptions. Luckily Garcia wasn't playing any better, and our defense actually played respectably.