Time to go QB shopping

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Precisely. Dak was poor today. Very much so. But there's not really a QB shop that you can just walk in and buy an elite QB. You can't just order an elite QB from Amazon or trade for a different QB on Madden and expect that QB to magically appear on your roster. So, for now, Dak is the QB. Let's also not forget that while he had 3 interceptions against Green Bay, 2 were not entirely his fault if at all his fault. The first was behind Cooper, but catchable. Cooper dropped it and it ended up in the hands of a Packers player. The second was definitely Dak's fault. I don't think anyone would say differently there. The third was not his fault at all. It was a timing route to Gallup who was being physically smacked and held the entire route. Along with the laundry list of other bad calls or no calls by the refs, that one was very critical as it gave the Packers 3 points. The game may have changed completely had that been called, and we could be sitting here talking about an ugly win but a thrilling comeback. Yet, the refs royally screwed us on that play.
Another person making no sense with the you can’t get another qb from amazon so let’s stay the course. Sad thing is I know most of y’all take this sad mentality into yalls real life. Ole well I can’t do any better so let’s not even try because I don’t want to try to potentially improve smh. Dak is average at best but y’all stay with him forever just because you’re scared of change and potentially getting worse in the process. You also could get potentially better too

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agreed. And lets also not forget that Maher wasn't even close on either miss. He horribly missed the 54 yard field goal early on (ok, no easy kick but still should have been at least close with his range), and then missed a 38 harder that was also not even close. So, those were 6 points lost there. So, that'd have made the score 34-30 if all stayed the same. If you factor in the fact that we got screwed on the third pick which should have been a PI. It's 31-30 (assuming we kick the field goal there). So, let's back it up a tad. So, had Maher made the 54 harder and we were on the drive that led to the FG, the game would have been 31-27. Think we'd have played that last drive differently? I do. So, I think Maher played a bigger role in the loss than Dak did. I think we all knew Maher isn't the most accurate going into the season and knew he may cost us games. Here's one he has costed us.

I cut Maher slack on the 54 yarder. That's a long kick. Maybe around 50%.

But he clearly had a worse performance than Dak.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Another person making no sense with the you can’t get another qb from amazon so let’s stay the course. Sad thing is I know most of y’all take this sad mentality into yalls real life. Ole well I can’t do any better so let’s not even try because I don’t want to try to potentially improve smh. Dak is average at best but y’all stay with him forever just because you’re scared of change and potentially getting worse in the process. You also could get potentially better too

Look here. Dak may not be playing great football of late. But, if you'd like to suggest a better QB that we can feasibily get, by all means suggest one. Bear mind that the worst we can do is 3-13, so Tua is logically out of range.

I, for example, suggested a kicker that I think we can feasibily obtain the service of and would make a fine replacement to Maher.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Look here. Dak may not be playing great football of late. But, if you'd like to suggest a better QB that we can feasibily get, by all means suggest one. Bear mind that the worst we can do is 3-13, so Tua is logically out of range.

I, for example, suggested a kicker that I think we can feasibily obtain the service of and would make a fine replacement to Maher.

There are no quarterbacks available that are better than Dak. Maybe one or two that are equal, but they all have faults, and especially with the way the o-line looked yesterday, any replacement better be darn mobile, somebody like Foles would be on IR in two games.

Cowboys went all in this year, that's pretty obvious. There are fundamental things that simply can't be fixed this year - personnel for one, we have problems at LT, TE, DT, S and CB. Marinelli's scheme is outdated by 20 years, it could still work but he doesn't have the correct personnel to do it. So if the team flops this year, and by that I mean win the SB, then it will be time to make wholesale changes to the team:

Fire Marinelli.
Cut (some may be in the last year of a contract, but they'd not be re-signed, same result):
Dak, Maher, T. Crawford, Lee, Witten, Schultz, Austin, Brown, Fleming, Heath, A. Woods, Collins, Cobb.
Draft a QB. Or. LT. Or TE. Or OG. Or S. Or CB. Or OLB. Doesn't matter, can't get all of them in one draft.
Trade J. Smith, X. Woods, Gallup. Get several first two rounds draft picks.

Meaning what?

Total rebuild. Yes it will take several years, and the new guys may not turn out any better than the cut players, but it will be obvious the "all or nothing" strategy hasn't worked. Just time to take another approach.

:angry:

Philmonroe

Reaction score

Like I said y’all take this same silly mentality into your personal lives and I know it. It’s like some have never had a decent girl and when they get one don’t want to let her go like she is the last decent or better girl on the planet. You are also being disingenuous as expletive with the name a qb bs. Now you know good and damn well you can’t just name a random stud qb like that. I try to assume y’all aren’t stupid so you should know the obvious that you have to trade up for a top qb prospect or if you think a good qb is a FA you go for them. This isn’t hard don’t get why people online always come with this name a qb smh.

Comparing obtaining kickers to qb isn’t great logic my fellow Boys fan. If you want to stay with Dak forever so be it but this name a qb esp when comparing it to a freaking kicker give me a flipping break.

CoachD

Reaction score
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly from yesterday.........

The Good.........Well after looking like the Dolphins for the first half at least they fought back and had a chance (a little one anyway)

The Bad........... Hmmmmmmmm let me see, this might take a while. drop passes, force throws for Int's, 28 points down, awful defense LVE and Jaylon Smith can't tackle, no turnovers by the defense, oh and I almost forgot a missed 35 yard field goal after another stupid penalty!

The Ugly............The last two games the Cowboys have been outcoached plus the last two games reminded me a lot like those undisciplined Wade Phillips team a lot of penalties and awful run defense. BTW who's Green Bay's running back? How the hell could a team dominate on the ground one week after totally abandoning the running game against the Eagles, how is that even possible? Tell you what folks they better get their act together or Garrett won't be the Cowboys Head coach this year,..............oh and one more thing hold onto that contract for Dak he has a lot more to prove!

jsb357

Reaction score
Prescott has NFL size, mobility and enough arm, but the tape shows a
player who must improve his mechanics, poise and quickness through
his progressions if he is to become a full-time starter in the NFL.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Prescott has NFL size, mobility and enough arm, but the tape shows a
player who must improve his mechanics, poise and quickness through
his progressions if he is to become a full-time starter in the NFL.

He's had 3 full seasons to improve those things. We saw in the first 3 games that he has the physical tools, wouldn't have had the 82% or whatever completions if he hadn't. Size, of course. Mobility, yes.

Poise is fine as long as he doesn't get pressure, but when he does get pressure, he reverts to his old ways.

He has this year, if poise doesn't happen, it never will....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Like I said y’all take this same silly mentality into your personal lives and I know it. It’s like some have never had a decent girl and when they get one don’t want to let her go like she is the last decent or better girl on the planet. You are also being disingenuous as expletive with the name a qb bs. Now you know good and damn well you can’t just name a random stud qb like that. I try to assume y’all aren’t stupid so you should know the obvious that you have to trade up for a top qb prospect or if you think a good qb is a FA you go for them. This isn’t hard don’t get why people online always come with this name a qb smh.

Comparing obtaining kickers to qb isn’t great logic my fellow Boys fan. If you want to stay with Dak forever so be it but this name a qb esp when comparing it to a freaking kicker give me a flipping break.

I think you missed me point in the last bit of what you were saying. I wasn't comparing the QB position to kicker at all. I was merely pointing out how I identified an issue to this team and suggested a replacement. Similarly, if you think there is a feasible alternative to Dak who would be better than him, I'm all ears.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There are no quarterbacks available that are better than Dak. Maybe one or two that are equal, but they all have faults, and especially with the way the o-line looked yesterday, any replacement better be darn mobile, somebody like Foles would be on IR in two games.

Cowboys went all in this year, that's pretty obvious. There are fundamental things that simply can't be fixed this year - personnel for one, we have problems at LT, TE, DT, S and CB. Marinelli's scheme is outdated by 20 years, it could still work but he doesn't have the correct personnel to do it. So if the team flops this year, and by that I mean win the SB, then it will be time to make wholesale changes to the team:

Fire Marinelli.
Cut (some may be in the last year of a contract, but they'd not be re-signed, same result):
Dak, Maher, T. Crawford, Lee, Witten, Schultz, Austin, Brown, Fleming, Heath, A. Woods, Collins, Cobb.
Draft a QB. Or. LT. Or TE. Or OG. Or S. Or CB. Or OLB. Doesn't matter, can't get all of them in one draft.
Trade J. Smith, X. Woods, Gallup. Get several first two rounds draft picks.

Meaning what?

Total rebuild. Yes it will take several years, and the new guys may not turn out any better than the cut players, but it will be obvious the "all or nothing" strategy hasn't worked. Just time to take another approach.

:angry:

I could go for that, but tbh, starting QB is not my number 1 concern atm. My top 3 concerns at the moment are DT, S, and Kicker. We can't stop the run, and it's painfully obvious. So, DT needs to be our top priority. Safety is a need we've lacked for a while. And if we are going to have a chance against the better teams, we best have a good kicker, which Maher is not. I'd also put CB and LG ahead of starting QB. Williams isn't cutting it, and we do need another CB. So, rebuild yes. But I'd start by addressing DT, S, CB, and LG in the draft and FA. I'd not renew Garrett's contract, and I'd franchise Dak. See how Dak does with a different HC. If he flames out, then ok. We lose nothing and can get a better QB in the draft. If Dak succeeds, then terrific as well.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

As for the first point you made, I'll reiterate what I said to LA. Yes, if there's a viable alternative to Dak that is reasonable to get, I'm all for it. But, starting QB isn't my highest priority at the moment considering we can't stop the run and we can't get an interception.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I think you missed me point in the last bit of what you were saying. I wasn't comparing the QB position to kicker at all. I was merely pointing out how I identified an issue to this team and suggested a replacement. Similarly, if you think there is a feasible alternative to Dak who would be better than him, I'm all ears.
I didn't miss the point at all. You're comparing finding a new kicker to finding a QB. They aren't the same thing even if the whole I identified a solution part is the same. Context matters my man.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
As for the first point you made, I'll reiterate what I said to LA. Yes, if there's a viable alternative to Dak that is reasonable to get, I'm all for it. But, starting QB isn't my highest priority at the moment considering we can't stop the run and we can't get an interception.
Y'all love Dak so there is no viable alternative. Anybody with this name me the exact QB to replace Dak madness just loves Dak at QB. If you do cool but the path to getting a new QB isn't rocket science you have to either move up in the draft if you don't have a top pick or get a coveted FA. That doesn't guarantee success but I think Dak can only take you so far when the game is on him throwing. Maybe that will change but I don't see that currently

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Y'all love Dak so there is no viable alternative. Anybody with this name me the exact QB to replace Dak madness just loves Dak at QB. If you do cool but the path to getting a new QB isn't rocket science you have to either move up in the draft if you don't have a top pick or get a coveted FA. That doesn't guarantee success but I think Dak can only take you so far when the game is on him throwing. Maybe that will change but I don't see that currently

Frankly, I loved Romo when he was here. I like Dak a lot as he's the starter. I'm sure I'll get over and like and support the next QB we have. I will have no hard feelings whenever we decide to take a new QB. If we decide to get a new QB, then so be it. I'll support anyone who is our starting QB. I'm just being level headed here. If we are going to replace someone, then it should be because that player is better than what we have. Don't just change for the sake of changing. Ask the Broncos how that's working.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Frankly, I loved Romo when he was here. I like Dak a lot as he's the starter. I'm sure I'll get over and like and support the next QB we have. I will have no hard feelings whenever we decide to take a new QB. If we decide to get a new QB, then so be it. I'll support anyone who is our starting QB. I'm just being level headed here. If we are going to replace someone, then it should be because that player is better than what we have. Don't just change for the sake of changing. Ask the Broncos how that's working.
I never said change for the sake of changing. I do to think Dak is that good and just like KC did with Smith and Mahommes I'd take that type of chance if given the opportunity. Change for the sake of change is playing Cooper Rush right now and nobody is asking for that. I'm saying if they trade up for a QB even if they miss I'd be okay with it because I don't think. Dak is it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I didn't miss the point at all. You're comparing finding a new kicker to finding a QB. They aren't the same thing even if the whole I identified a solution part is the same. Context matters my man.

I know perfectly well that finding a QB and Kicker are two completely different things. My point is that we should look to upgrade every position where there is a viable option. My concern is more along the lines of not spending so much that we neglect areas that are a major need. I don't think getting an upgrade at QB is a major priority right now. Maybe that will change, and if a QB comes in range for us to take, then great. Let's get that player. However, Dak Prescott wasn't the reason we couldn't stop the Packers' running back. Our lack of having a legitimate defencive tackle was the reason for that. Dak doesn't intercept passes. Our DBs are supposed to. Yet, they didn't again. Dak isn't the best, and I know that. Believe me, if we could get Mahomes, I'd be on it. But, that would likely negate our ability to address other fields. So, I think the best move is to either try to get Dak to take a team friendly deal at this time, revisit that in the offseason, or franchise him. That way, we can try to keep him around a bit longer and try to fix other areas that really need to be fixed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I never said change for the sake of changing. I do to think Dak is that good and just like KC did with Smith and Mahommes I'd take that type of chance if given the opportunity. Change for the sake of change is playing Cooper Rush right now and nobody is asking for that. I'm saying if they trade up for a QB even if they miss I'd be okay with it because I don't think. Dak is it.

Well, I suppose I could see that. I think Dak is it, but then I'm hard to give up on a starter. I don't think Dak is elite. I think he's probably a very good QB, and I think I've been fairly consistent with that. He does a good job. He generally (aside from the second INT and the near one in the endzone) takes good care of the ball. I think he's improved his footwork immensely. He still has occasions where he reverts, but his footwork is much improved. I can also see the improvements in his deep ball. That pass to Cooper and the pass to Zeke late in the game were beautiful and with perfect touch. Much better than he's been for a while. For me, my main complaint with him is that, like Romo, he holds onto the ball way too long. He needs to learn to throw that ball away, especially in scoring position. That sack that he took early in the game that took us out of field goal range is horrendous. That cost us 3 points. So, I will say, he's a very good player, but he does have things to improve on. I would be willing to see what he does with a new coach (probably Moore as HC) and see how much of that can be corrected. Thus, we can fix our DT, safety, and CB positions. And maybe add another pass rusher before addressing QB. That way, we can have more short fields. I mean, it would be nice to not have to drive 60-80 yards every drive. Also, DT and S are why I'm so hesitant to trade for a QB in the draft at the moment. If we could stop the run and intercept passes, I'd be more willing to do that. But that is something that I think needs addressing before we trade up.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In other words, I think Dak can win us a Super Bowl, but he must stop taking so many sacks. If it's not there, he needs to throw the ball away and preserve field position. If he fixes that, I think he'll take the next step.