Time to learn some truth about the front office

cern

Reaction score
The talent issue can't be denied as we're seeing in NE and SF. Was McVay a great HC on Sunday facing the winless Jets? Yet I consider him a very good HC.

It is such a mixed bag for any NFL team but health is the #1 concern and that caught up to NE, PHL, SF and DAL this season.

When I think of the the coaching part of this, I think about the end of one game, the playoff game between LAR and NO. All anyone talked about after that game was the no call that temporarily changed the rules. Except there were two people talking about how that game was handled by supposedly one of the better HC's in the game. Aikman was in shock at the play calling and it was as if Payton didn't realize the score or the time left. Sean Payton escaped one of the worst play calling sequences in NFL playoff history because of that one play.

I think one of the more interesting things the NFL could do is let us in on what's going on in those headphones. Coaches are by nature an emotional and excitable bunch and sometimes it looks as if chaos is ruling on the sideline and field, I would love to hear what's going on in those headsets. Couple that with the noise in the Superdome in that game and player movement all over the field getting in and out of the game and it was easy to see Payton screwing up. And that's exactly what he did. When Buck asked Aikman "why is he calling passes"? Aikman just said "I don't know" is a real perplexed delivery. What he should have said was "because he's Sean Payton".
Good points, but great coaching can't be reduced to a single game. They can only be judged over the entirety of a season. Then multiple seasons.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t get the purpose of this post in regards to the OP. I mean all teams have injuries. Yes they are facts but facts that only prove Dallas has injuries like any other team.
The purpose was to show that no matter which players are drafted, if they cannot stay on the field, then it does not matter.

I did not inject opinions into it because I was not trying to attack or support the front office regarding their draft picks (as I pointed out in a previous post).

My post was not about the front office but the list of players that were used as examples of great draft picks.

A great player can only be great if they are reliably on the field each week.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The purpose was to show that no matter which players are drafted, if they cannot stay on the field, then it does not matter.

I did not inject opinions into it because I was not trying to attack or support the front office regarding their draft picks (as I pointed out in a previous post).

My post was not about the front office but the list of players that were used as examples of great draft picks.

A great player can only be great if they are reliably on the field each week.
:huh:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There’s been crazy and negative speculation on here as it regards the front office. Why do people here think:

1) Jerry is still the day to day GM?
2) The team has been bad at drafting?

Jerry is only involved in the big decisions. And even then it’s to give his stamp of approval. Stephen is the one actually making the day to day decisions and even then it’s guys like Will McClay for player scouting and others that do contracts doing most of the work. It wasn’t Stephen or Jerry that did Zekes contract. It was some other guy who I don’t recall his name.

As for drafting the Cowboys have been pretty good relative to the rest of the league. Yes thereve been misses but every team has them.

In the last 10 years the team has drafted:

Tyron
Frederick
Dez
Dak
Zach
DLaw
Byron
Zeke
CD
Diggs
Gallup
Pollard
LVE
Lee
Murray
Schultz
Dwayne Harris (still in the league 9 years later)
Crawford (still in league 8 years later)
Hitchens (starting for Chiefs)
Damien Wilson (starting for Chiefs)
Traded a 1 for Coop

Overall they’ve drafted 13 pro bowlers which is an average of 1.3 per draft and will probably be more in a few years with at least CD and Diggs.

If you’re going to average 1 pro bowler every draft and numerous starters that will play 8-9 years you’re doing your job. Find me how many pro bowlers over 10 years other teams have drafted. I’d imagine Dallas is in the top 10 in the league in that.

The player personnel has been pretty good. I’d say poor coaching on defense and bad luck is the reason the team hasn’t gotten to NFC title games the last 10 years. DeMarcos fumble in 2014 in GB and the 3rd down bomb from Rodgers in 2016.

Defensively the scheme has never complimented the offense and was a liability in the playoffs in 2018 and all season in 2019. This year it’s just all over the place between coaches and players.

If I had to grade the front office on player personnel, I’d say a B+ and that’s mainly due to handling of contracts not the talent they bring in. The biggest error they made was trying to use Jaylons one good season as leverage against Zeke in training camp in 2019. Shouldn’t have extended him. They also gave Marinelli way too much input in the draft. Cost them Taco and Trysten. But the Patriots miss with WRs in the 1st round all the time so mistakes happen everywhere. Their drafted WRs since like 2010 have 183 total catches in the league on a graphic Fox showed a few weeks ago.

Stop taking the easy road and saying the FO is trash. Because reality is their among the best in talent acquisition, probably below average on contracts and average in evaluating coaches. The rest of the league minus New England and Kansas City have all the same complaints about who wears their headset. Even Sean Payton went 7-9 3 straight years.
Appreciate the thought put into the post.

But team building is not in a vacuum.

Put the talent in the wrong culture, you get what we have got for the last 25 years.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't think so. I don't think it was calculated. I think it was a GM who doesn't study tape and who doesn't understand how to build a contender because he's not interested in studying making a seat of his pants draft throw at a flashy player.

To get anyone on the board that high, there had to have been length evaluations by staff, and all the more so for Jaylon, given his injury situation. Jerry has people to watch tape. He has people to make his draft board. I haven't heard that there was a big departure from it to pick Jaylon.

Jerry took 3 risk picks on defense in Gregory, Jaylon, and LVE. Having a GM who can take such risks without worrying about being fired is an advantage Jerry brings. After 2018, it looked like all those bets were paying off. After 2020, no.

The Taco and Hill picks flamed out too. Both had their own risks, but in their cases, not as justified by play.

Byron. Lawrence. Mo. Carter. Lee.

Going back a long ways, we've been taking players with risk. Ironically, the worst pick, Mo, was a professional consensus pick. The risk used to payoff better, but we've had a bad run recently.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
There’s been crazy and negative speculation on here as it regards the front office. Why do people here think:

Jerry is only involved in the big decisions. And even then it’s to give his stamp of approval. Stephen is the one actually making the day to day decisions and even then it’s guys like Will McClay for player scouting and others that do contracts doing most of the work. It wasn’t Stephen or Jerry that did Zekes contract. It was some other guy who I don’t recall his name.

As for drafting the Cowboys have been pretty good relative to the rest of the league. Yes thereve been misses but every team has them.

Tyron
Frederick
Dez
Dak
Zach
DLaw
Byron
Zeke
CD
Diggs
Gallup
Pollard
LVE
Lee
Murray
Schultz
Traded a 1 for Coop

Overall they’ve drafted 13 pro bowlers which is an average of 1.3 per draft and will probably be more in a few years with at least CD and Diggs.

If you’re going to average 1 pro bowler every draft and numerous starters that will play 8-9 years you’re doing your job. Find me how many pro bowlers over 10 years other teams have drafted. I’d imagine Dallas is in the top 10 in the league in that.

The player personnel has been pretty good. I’d say poor coaching on defense and bad luck is the reason the team hasn’t gotten to NFC title games the last 10 years. DeMarcos fumble in 2014 in GB and the 3rd down bomb from Rodgers in 2016.

Defensively the scheme has never complimented the offense and was a liability in the playoffs in 2018 and all season in 2019. This year it’s just all over the place between coaches and players.

If I had to grade the front office on player personnel, I’d say a B+ and that’s mainly due to handling of contracts not the talent they bring in. The biggest error they made was trying to use Jaylons one good season as leverage against Zeke in training camp in 2019. Shouldn’t have extended him. They also gave Marinelli way too much input in the draft. Cost them Taco and Trysten. But the Patriots miss with WRs in the 1st round all the time so mistakes happen everywhere. Their drafted WRs since like 2010 have 183 total catches in the league on a graphic Fox showed a few weeks ago.

Stop taking the easy road and saying the FO is trash. Because reality is their among the best in talent acquisition, probably below average on contracts and average in evaluating coaches. The rest of the league minus New England and Kansas City have all the same complaints about who wears their headset. Even Sean Payton went 7-9 3 straight years.

Nah, the easy way out is to make excuses for the FO. Injuries, chemistry, just need time to blah, blah, blah. Jerry is directly responsible for giving us a fake coach for an entire decade. We had talent during Romo's tenure, enough to win at least one ring under a real HC. That was Jerry's ego. He continues to value his ego over winning, and then sprinkle in his moronic refusal to address reality, including his inability to manage contracts and actual belief that players like Jaylon Smith are great, and it's really no wonder we have won nothing for over 25 years.

conner01

Reaction score
I am not disagreeing with the idea they made some good draft picks, but at the end of the day, if the players are not able to stay on the field, it does not matter how great they are.
  • Tyron -- injured and missed games in multiple seasons
  • Frederick -- non-football injury and missed entire season; retired much earlier than expected
  • Dez -- injured foot and missed games; many say he was never the same afterwards
  • Dak -- injured and missed most of this season
  • Zach -- injured and missed games this season
  • Zeke -- suspended for 6 games in one season; missed a game due to injury this season
  • LVE -- injured and missed games in multiple seasons
  • Lee -- injured and missed games in MOST seasons
  • Schultz -- kept on the sideline too long when starting Witten who was no longer better
  • Hitchens (starting for Chiefs) -- injured and missed games
  • Damien Wilson (starting for Chiefs) -- injured and missed games
Half the players in the league have missed games
Can’t predict many injury risks when drafting
Players have had knee surgery in college and played many years in the nfl
It’s reasonable to complain about a pick like taco but hard to complain about a guy who missed no games in college but injured in nfl

cern

Reaction score
First there was jimmy. Then xame the dark ages. Then parcells came and it got bright again while he was in dallas. Then bill left and the dark ages returned. How more evident/obvious can it be that coaching is key. You can't blame jerry for the poor coaching of campo or garrett. They stank. Is mac the answer? Can't say. This isn't a good year to evaluate.

MikeB80

Reaction score
whoever told the op that jerry doesn't have that much to do with football operations has no idea what they are talking about.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Half the players in the league have missed games
Can’t predict many injury risks when drafting
Players have had knee surgery in college and played many years in the nfl
It’s reasonable to complain about a pick like taco but hard to complain about a guy who missed no games in college but injured in nfl
I think you need to read my post(s) again as there were no opinions in them.

I was not complaining nor saying they were bad picks, only that it's hard to justify picks as great when the players could not stay on the field.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Tyron
Frederick
Dez
Dak
Zach
DLaw
Byron
Zeke
CD
Diggs
Gallup
Pollard
LVE
Lee
Murray
Schultz
Traded a 1 for Coop

I agree with most of your post.

The big question is coaching. Garrett could't make it to the Super Bowl if the Cowboys had the best player at every position.

McCarty is still an unknown. Covid and injuries made it impossible to really evaluate him.

McCarty will get 2021. If he fails Stephen Jones will move on. There will not be anymore stepson to Jerry type relationships with the Head Coach like Jerry/Garrett.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
McClay gives results, those probowlers are becuase of WIll McClay .

Stephen does nothing more than Jerrah .

MikeB80

Reaction score
I agree with most of your post.

The big question is coaching. Garrett could't make it to the Super Bowl if the Cowboys had the best player at every position.

McCarty is still an unknown. Covid and injuries made it impossible to really evaluate him.

McCarty will get 2021. If he fails Stephen Jones will move on. There will not be anymore stepson to Jerry type relationships with the Head Coach like Jerry/Garrett.

lol

you think Steve wasn't a proponent of Garrett? You guys invent your own realities.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Where’s this evidence of him not wanting good coaches because of “having fun”?

If he was serious about winning, Urban would be here right now with total control.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
so has nothing to do with the current team or the new coaches , they change so often you cant keep hanging onto it as if its ONE 25 year of the same things, new players, coaches and opponents .. there are many teams that took longer KC took 50years to get to anther one, Reid won his friot in how many years as HC? took 15years and generational freak talent of Mahomes to do it....that twice as much you got it 25x2 4 and half decades..took Philly 60years to win their first, thats 6 decades got it?..some teams have never won won or has ha just as ling drought..

heck brown's havent even been to playoff game in what 15 years hasn't won division in had how many losing seasons?
come on the jones arent the issue its just very hard to win SBs or championships..

get over it its not groundhog dat became all the names have changed ..

but hey be "THAT FAN" keeping up with garbage narratives to target the things you dont like..That Fan who not even 16 game into their first season already wants new HC after screaming for the other one to be fired.. you guys are never happy so hey keep it up Garett's clapping for ya..

No im not happy about the drought but dont feel the need to dwell on it.. each year is unique and new..

also
3401.jpg

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Tyron
Frederick
Dez
Dak
Zach
DLaw
Byron
Zeke
CD
Diggs
Gallup
Pollard
LVE
Lee
Murray
Schultz
Traded a 1 for Coop

if you notice on that list, none of the defensive players are elite and impact players, perhaps only D Law. most are average and injury prone or high risk players..... Also, you notice the players that we should have kept, we let go, like Hitchens and Jones....we just don't know what the heck we are doing on defense...we can't draft. keep the wrong FAs and sign the wrong ones.....

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The culture is a big problem, and Jerry is responsible for much of it. Jaylon has been terrible this year, and not only has he not been benched, but Jerry goes on the radio and says Jaylon is the best player on the team. Woods is even worse. He has not been benched for 1 snap. Crawford the$10 million man, still starts.

There is no accountability for bad play, the players know it and don't care. Other players see it and know they to can get away with it.

It's on Jerry, because of Jerry is paying for the bad contract, the players are going to be on the field. It has always been that way with Jerry. That and he will never admit he was wrong on a player he paid.

cern

Reaction score
lol

you think Steve wasn't a proponent of Garrett? You guys invent your own realities.
Stephen did not like Garrett. He called him out in 2015. It is you who are inventing your own reality.

Doomsay

Reaction score

Tyron
Frederick
Dez
Dak
Zach
DLaw
Byron
Zeke
CD
Diggs
Gallup
Pollard
LVE
Lee
Murray
Schultz
Traded a 1 for Coop

It’s easy, the FO is trash.