Time to move on from Tyron?

Reaction score
For me, he is in the Sean Lee category. Not playing particularly well and gets hurt every year (and it's back and hamstring injuries, which recur). I know if we cut him in 2020, we'd only have $5 mil in dead money. In 2019, we'd have $10 mil in dead money. Maybe draft a 2nd round LT next year (or sign a free agent). And let him hang around for one more year. Then cut him in 2020. Thoughts?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I find threads like this, based off of your post and those like it, to be disturbing. Not just that the guy may have more left in the tank. But that fans are so quick to jettison players these days.

Back in the day the Dallas Mavericks had a power forward named Roy Tarpley. Immense talent. The guy could have gone down as one of the best. But he hada substance abuse problem. Drugs and alcohol.

The team had him on a long term contract. He would get suspended every now and then. But he'd come in and play after suspensions and would be greatness again.

I, somewhat like you now, wanted Tarpley gone. But Randy Galloway stated on the radio one afternoon on his show that you ride that horse until it falls.

There was a discussion on Lee on TV the other night. All the people in this discussion said essentially the same thing. You ride him until he can't play.

Tyron is the same. Run out the contract and groom the replacement. Something like Vander Esch.

If Tyron was a jake-legged p[layer that didn't show up, I'd get it. But your assessment that he is not playing particularly well has a lot of blue sky in it.

SMFH

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is where planning the future of the team has to be on point. Collins signed a 2 year deal, flemmings deal runs through next year, and smith may not be able to physically make it till the end of his deal. Easy to say we need to draft a tackle, but who is available and when is key. Can't afford to reach and waste the whole draft as we have other needs as well.

Reaction score
When he is on the field, he's been excellent. Even this year.

You don't just jettison a player of his calibre. You work with him. Give him days off, etc. He's too valuable to throw away.

That being said, you have to have a very capable backup because he will miss time.

Also, Smith is on the back end of his deal and his cap number actually starts dropping going forward.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
We haven't been able to develop or sustain any solid tackle play since Doug Free left (and he was suspect as well). Even when injured, Smith is more than serviceable and above average. Dude has earned his money.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
For me, he is in the Sean Lee category. Not playing particularly well and gets hurt every year (and it's back and hamstring injuries, which recur). I know if we cut him in 2020, we'd only have $5 mil in dead money. In 2019, we'd have $10 mil in dead money. Maybe draft a 2nd round LT next year (or sign a free agent). And let him hang around for one more year. Then cut him in 2020. Thoughts?
They get hurt because they're tough and play hard. Playing Defense and getting constantly knocked around by 300lb players isn't a piece of cake. These guys can't keep playing like they did their first few years in the league.

Why some fans think a professional athlete should play at the same caliber as they did when they were younger year after year after year is absurd.

Then some fans have the nerve to sit behind a keyboard bullying our players by calling them "China doll/Injury Prone" etc...

Until any fan actually walks in an NFL athletes shoes, they have absolutely no idea what a player goes through with their body.

Then they want Dallas to trade/get rid of him by the drop of a dime. Lee is an excellent mentor to Van. Why on earth would anyone wish to toss a monkey wrench into a young player whose future looks so bright by the helps of Lee. Whose literally one of the best in the league. WOW

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I find threads like this, based off of your post and those like it, to be disturbing. Not just that the guy may have more left in the tank. But that fans are so quick to jettison players these days.

Back in the day the Dallas Mavericks had a power forward named Roy Tarpley. Immense talent. The guy could have gone down as one of the best. But he hada substance abuse problem. Drugs and alcohol.

The team had him on a long term contract. He would get suspended every now and then. But he'd come in and play after suspensions and would be greatness again.

I, somewhat like you now, wanted Tarpley gone. But Randy Galloway stated on the radio one afternoon on his show that you ride that horse until it falls.

There was a discussion on Lee on TV the other night. All the people in this discussion said essentially the same thing. You ride him until he can't play.

Tyron is the same. Run out the contract and groom the replacement. Something like Vander Esch.

If Tyron was a jake-legged p[layer that didn't show up, I'd get it. But your assessment that he is not playing particularly well has a lot of blue sky in it.

SMFH

Part of why NE has been so successful for so long is that they don't hold onto players so that they run out of gas on someone else's team, and not theirs.

Not sure Tyron is at that point yet, but the trend is concerning.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Part of why NE has been so successful for so long is that they don't hold onto players so that they run out of gas on someone else's team, and not theirs.

Not sure Tyron is at that point yet, but the trend is concerning.
I'd say a bigger part is that they do not typically re-sign many of their homegrown superstars and when they do, they don't restructure their contracts, kicking guaranteed money down the road.

mickswag

Reaction score
tenor.gif