Time to move on from Tyron?

Reaction score
Every time this stupid thread gets posted we all get dumber. Just stop it already. He's played less than 13 games once in his career and less than 15 three times. Even at 75%, he's still better than 75% of OTs in football.

I say some dumb thing and put my foot in my mouth sometimes, but this bull**** thread takes the cake.

No one put a gun to your head to read it

Reaction score
when Sean Lee plays he almost ALWAYS plays well. When Tyron plays he almost always plays well. The problem is only that they are NOT always playing. Keep it real.

I have seen a drop off in both of their play this year, even when healthy. Simply put, Tyron does not have the same bend, foot speed, and athleticism that he once had. Back injuries will do that. Yes, I agree at 75%, he's still a solid LT. I just dont know how much longer he'll stay at 75%.

JustChip

Reaction score
You don't move on yet, but you do have a contingency plan for when he can't go. That's where the Cowboys failed with Romo - they just assumed at age 36 and having been injured multiple times in the recent past that he could and would play another 5 years. They at least looked to have made those plans this year by signing Fleming. He's not #77 in his prime or best, but he's certainly been capable enough. They'll need to do the same contingency planning next year which should include drafting tackle.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The OP says Lee isn't playing well....which is a fallacy. When he is on the field he plays his *** off. With him on the field we probably have the best LB corps in the NFL right now.

Same with Smith, the last few games he has played very well when in there. He did have some rough patches earlier in the year, but they were a dip from his Pro Bowl level, not a drop to "he sucks".

When it's time, everyone will know. He is still young enough that he can provide us with some more good years.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I find threads like this, based off of your post and those like it, to be disturbing. Not just that the guy may have more left in the tank. But that fans are so quick to jettison players these days.

Back in the day the Dallas Mavericks had a power forward named Roy Tarpley. Immense talent. The guy could have gone down as one of the best. But he hada substance abuse problem. Drugs and alcohol.

The team had him on a long term contract. He would get suspended every now and then. But he'd come in and play after suspensions and would be greatness again.

I, somewhat like you now, wanted Tarpley gone. But Randy Galloway stated on the radio one afternoon on his show that you ride that horse until it falls.

There was a discussion on Lee on TV the other night. All the people in this discussion said essentially the same thing. You ride him until he can't play.

Tyron is the same. Run out the contract and groom the replacement. Something like Vander Esch.

If Tyron was a jake-legged p[layer that didn't show up, I'd get it. But your assessment that he is not playing particularly well has a lot of blue sky in it.

SMFH

I want to wholeheartedly agree, but I think the salary cap complicates these sorts of matters. It’s the same issue with Romo a few years back. No one wants to see the player go, but $17-ish million for a guy who struggles to finish a game becomes a major burden at some point. I think it’s much trickier than in eras past because of this.

Tussinman

Reaction score
LOL. It's tough for people to deal with being a fan of the team, and at the same time being open to the possibility that Tyron has his best days as a player behind him. "Waaaaah, it just can't be!!!"

Frankly, he hasn't been up to standard. And the trend didn't start this year, no matter how aggressively you whine about it.
LOL at this BS post

Keep hearing best days behind him yet he made the NFL top 100 last year and is playing better this year than he was last year....

Injuries happen but when your an elite player it's not a huge deal. He'll still finish NFL top 100 and pro bowl all while being on a very generous contract.

Worst case scenario we get to keep a top 10 LT for another 2-3 seasons or so while we develop someone else and then we can re-evalute, worst case scenario he shifts to RT later in his career and still performs good. What exactly are we complaining about ??

Last edited:

lukin2006

Reaction score
We need to find his replacement. Wonder why he does not opt for surgery. Maybe Dr. Jones will discuss surgical options with him.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
For me, he is in the Sean Lee category. Not playing particularly well and gets hurt every year (and it's back and hamstring injuries, which recur). I know if we cut him in 2020, we'd only have $5 mil in dead money. In 2019, we'd have $10 mil in dead money. Maybe draft a 2nd round LT next year (or sign a free agent). And let him hang around for one more year. Then cut him in 2020. Thoughts?
He's not even close to being at Sean Lee injury prone level yet. Also Lee always balls out when he's on the field, not "not playing particularly well". Another lunacy post lmao.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
tenor.gif
:lmao2:cousin Eddie,,,,I love him in that character :lmao:

*man, I would've imagined Tyrone's employer(F.O.) would've long since addressed this in it's infancy,,, er,,,like the first season it 'flared up' ,,,considering the investment & while taking into account the Dudes ongoing quality of life and lessened contributions to the teams expectations,,but,,, while, I am but a mere
FAN, never having made a PRO football roster, I'm kinda clueless in how cinched up& pucker tight Dudes on the 53 play it,,, While, Pittsburgh's L.Bell & even our Demarco Murray in 2014 is apparent, I don't believe their the baseline/ yardstick to go byo_O

Edit: "The bread pudding is extra runny tonight,,,Clark!"

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether Tyron is done or not. But I do know he seems to be made of glass. You can pretty much assume he is going to miss some games every year due to injury concerns and that back issue is especially alarming because they don't usually get better over time without surgery.

The Williams pick may have signaled an attempt at being proactive at the OT position even though we have stubbornly been playing him at guard this year. He may ultimately be a better LT than any other position based on his body type.

The team actually went out and paid a little but of money for a swing tackle this year on Fleming, and it is looking like money well spent because he has been forced into duty this year and played reasonably well.

I would ty to rest Tyron one more game if it is possible to do so and try to get him better for the stretch run. The Martin injury is problematic, because we sure don't want to be without our best pro bowl level player and inside anchor to the line.

The team should be looking for some help on the OL in the offseason, probably via free agency, maybe even moving a mid round pick for help. The smart money is probably betting against Tyron being on this team in the 2021 season at the latest.