Time to move on from Tyron?

tm1119

Reaction score
I swear this board needs to go to a seminar on offensive line play or something. There’s an alarming # of people that apparently have no clue what they are looking at. If Tyron is “not playing particularly well” then there’s MAYBE 6 or 7 LT’s in the entire NFL that are playing well

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Part of why NE has been so successful for so long is that they don't hold onto players so that they run out of gas on someone else's team, and not theirs.

Not sure Tyron is at that point yet, but the trend is concerning.

It starts with Brady.

cern

Reaction score
it would be highly imprudent to cut him. he's still a quality player who mostly plays thru his injuries. by all means let him play out his contract so as to preclude having any dead money issues.

aikemirv

Reaction score
it would be highly imprudent to cut him. he's still a quality player who mostly plays thru his injuries. by all means let him play out his contract so as to preclude having any dead money issues.

Yeah, still better than most. May not be elite with his injuries but he is a very good player

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I find threads like this, based off of your post and those like it, to be disturbing. Not just that the guy may have more left in the tank. But that fans are so quick to jettison players these days.

Except David Irving.

Tyron and Lee have been leaders on this team for years and people are tired of them. But mention David Irving and they've got the patience of Job. :rolleyes:

eastsideboy

Reaction score
For me, he is in the Sean Lee category. Not playing particularly well and gets hurt every year (and it's back and hamstring injuries, which recur). I know if we cut him in 2020, we'd only have $5 mil in dead money. In 2019, we'd have $10 mil in dead money. Maybe draft a 2nd round LT next year (or sign a free agent). And let him hang around for one more year. Then cut him in 2020. Thoughts?
This is a conversation for 2020

Doomsay

Reaction score
We certainly need to plan for his replacement - we have a lot of needs: S, DT, TE, OT.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
For me, he is in the Sean Lee category. Not playing particularly well and gets hurt every year (and it's back and hamstring injuries, which recur). I know if we cut him in 2020, we'd only have $5 mil in dead money. In 2019, we'd have $10 mil in dead money. Maybe draft a 2nd round LT next year (or sign a free agent). And let him hang around for one more year. Then cut him in 2020. Thoughts?

Its way too late to move on from him.

Last year was the right time. We would have gotten at least a 2nd if not a 1st for him. Now its clear for everybody he wont have alot of years left.

We now have to play him as long as he is able to and then cut him. Not a good business decission we made.

Reaction score
I find threads like this, based off of your post and those like it, to be disturbing. Not just that the guy may have more left in the tank. But that fans are so quick to jettison players these days.

Back in the day the Dallas Mavericks had a power forward named Roy Tarpley. Immense talent. The guy could have gone down as one of the best. But he hada substance abuse problem. Drugs and alcohol.

The team had him on a long term contract. He would get suspended every now and then. But he'd come in and play after suspensions and would be greatness again.

I, somewhat like you now, wanted Tarpley gone. But Randy Galloway stated on the radio one afternoon on his show that you ride that horse until it falls.

There was a discussion on Lee on TV the other night. All the people in this discussion said essentially the same thing. You ride him until he can't play.

Tyron is the same. Run out the contract and groom the replacement. Something like Vander Esch.

If Tyron was a jake-legged p[layer that didn't show up, I'd get it. But your assessment that he is not playing particularly well has a lot of blue sky in it.

SMFH

The difference is the NFL salary cap (and the fact that basketball longevity is far different than football longevity). Bill Bellichick makes decisions like this all the time, without sentimentality. Either a player is worth his salary or he's not. When he's not, you cut him and find someone who is. Otherwise you are wasting money that could be used to improve other positions. It's a sad reality, but a true one... Like I said, this is probably a decision after next year, not after this year. But I'd be shocked if he were on the team in 2020 at his current salary.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Tussinman

Reaction score
I swear this board needs to go to a seminar on offensive line play or something. There’s an alarming # of people that apparently have no clue what they are looking at. If Tyron is “not playing particularly well” then there’s MAYBE 6 or 7 LT’s in the entire NFL that are playing well
This x100.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Back in the day the Dallas Mavericks had a power forward named Roy Tarpley. Immense talent. The guy could have gone down as one of the best. But he hada substance abuse problem. Drugs and alcohol.

The team had him on a long term contract. He would get suspended every now and then. But he'd come in and play after suspensions and would be greatness again.

I, somewhat like you now, wanted Tarpley gone. But Randy Galloway stated on the radio one afternoon on his show that you ride that horse until it falls.

There was a discussion on Lee on TV the other night. All the people in this discussion said essentially the same thing. You ride him until he can't play.

Tyron is the same. Run out the contract and groom the replacement. Something like Vander Esch.

If Tyron was a jake-legged p[layer that didn't show up, I'd get it. But your assessment that he is not playing particularly well has a lot of blue sky in it.

SMFH
this ^^^^

Plus odd Fleming came in played half game and got dinged..had another come in for afew plays then I believe fleming back, Conner Williams is Rook, got hurt , Tfred out..Martin pretty much grinding out those knee, ankle injuries but hobbled a bit..

so what get rid of them all and find 5 Super herp NFL players who never get hurt, you look around the league, most teams are struggling keeping starting 5 on the field at Oline..

It will be interesting moving forward when they do allow smith to retire or leave.. at this point an offeseaon musical chair experiment could happen,

LC might be better as a Left hander at LT, Xavier stay at LG, Tfred/Looney C, Martin, and Conner Williams right tackle..Im curious how that would work or keep LC Rght Conner Left..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

SMFH

Soft Cap in the NBA. The cap started in 1985 and Tarpley was drafted in 1986. Managing the Soft cap back then was not a big issue.

Even in 2018 the NBA is different because salaries are guaranteed. Cutting players does not help the cap like it does in the NFL.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score

:facepalm: This fanbase is delusional at times.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tyron has looked better this year than last, especially after the bye. PFF has him as the 10th T in the league.
Even with two of his worst career performances (1st wash game and Houston) they still have him top 10.

If he gets 3 or 4 more solid post bye performances this year he probably finishes close to the top 5.

He's not even top 5 highest paid at his position and this portion of his contract was suppose to be zero guaranteed money so I have no issues with him on the roster