CFZ Time to pass the ball

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agree, if we want this season to matter, he's the only shot. If they's drafted a new QB, think how that would work this season with this unknown OL.

This season is going to be the most interesting one yet when it comes to Prescott and his HC.

McC has put himself square in the bull's eye by taking over the play calling and thinks he can better utilize Prescott's skill set than Moore did. I think Moore is a good young OC but I think he is better equipped with a QB like Herbert than Prescott. Moore will do better with a young gun and that is not what Prescott is or should be.

McC can elevate himself by just getting Prescott to play QB, not passer. He needs to take the pressure off Prescott because he knows he is just rearing to prove everyone wrong about him being a pick thrower and the reason they lost that playoff game. There is no QB in the game under more pressure than Prescott and McC needs to relieve that.
With the receivers on team right now, there should be more open routes and Lamb ending up with single coverage. I trust Prescott to at least be able to hit open receivers. He is a surviving quarterback, after all.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No stat is perfect and yes there are other factors, however, it gives an indication (not as a hate on Dak) what he and the offense isn't comfortable doing.
I agree that standing alone Pocket Time means nothing (as its an average, that doesnt factor in success), but when cross referenced to that time and the INT's on 3rd Down's, long downs and evdn on his (55) rating when trailing with >2 mins) there COULD be a reflection on what how we need to play.to get the best out of the whole offense.
Teams were playing Dallas and gearing to it's weaknesses. Some defenses were able to force the Dallas offense into compromising situations and take advantage of the opportunities. It wasn't Dak being futile as there was very little open space and with line injuries, the tendency to be overloaded on a lot of plays with a weak receiver group.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Teams were playing Dallas and gearing to it's weaknesses. Some defenses were able to force the Dallas offense into compromising situations and take advantage of the opportunities. It wasn't Dak being futile as there was very little open space and with line injuries, the tendency to be overloaded on a lot of plays with a weak receiver group.
These defenses aren't going to change, the book's written. Yes the receiver corps improved, (as is hopefully play design) but dismissing Dak's involvement as he's got 'weaknesses' without exploring what scenario's we want him to avoid is an ostrich strategy based on hope.Yes it's a team game, however, everything goes through the QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
correlation, causation

When your reads are covered, you have to hold the ball longer and are less likely to have completions.
When your reads are open, you get rid of the ball faster and are more likely to have completions.
Exactly what I was thinking, but you said it better!!

calicowboy54

Reaction score
QB *and* WR
In most of the INT analyses I've seen, it was the WR making a poor call on the option.
yeah i agree. i replied to a thread where i broke down all Daks INT & 10+ were on the WR zigging when he should have zagged. dak had i think 4or5 on him i cannot remember. and searching on here is a nightmare or i’d find the link.

kskboys

Reaction score
I do like the short quick passes O, but there could be a problem. When running that type O, if the QB doesn't read the D correctly, pick 6.

CCBoy

Reaction score
yeah i agree. i replied to a thread where i broke down all Daks INT & 10+ were on the WR zigging when he should have zagged. dak had i think 4or5 on him i cannot remember. and searching on here is a nightmare or i’d find the link.
Roger Staubach had four seasons of 15-16 interceptions a season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
And was recently voted the best QB of his era. And is rated top 20 of all time. By everyone.
Ask him if you can just date his daughter and work for him, Ace...maybe where your place for an addition exactly is.

Above grace being bestowed in this thread, by yourself, he is a Cowboys member of the Hall of Fame.

Now run back to playing in the street and insult on coming cars... :popcorn:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
taking away option routes will quicken up the process as QB and WR do not have to guess where the other is going with the ball.
its realy this simple... start attacking weak links on defenses with desicions to make and get the ball out. Funny the "Air Raid" offense looks good when you have 3 stud WR carving up defenses with good desicions...not so much when you have 1 WR and 1 half a WR and a Noah Brown....Stil looks good against bad defenses but good defenses can sit on a 50% MG and Noah Brown all day.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The stats are not speculation. They are validated history of Dak's performance. The speculation part, which I freely admit, is what McCarthy plans to do about it. But I "speculate" that he will address the disparity directly, and adjust his system to meet the strengths of Dak, and downplay his weaknesses. That's what good coaches do. I don't think my "speculation" is wild or unwarranted. But even if my "speculations" are correct, it remains to be seen if what McCarthy does will ultimately be successful in returning the Cowboys to their championship ways. None of us knows if it will work - not those who nominally "support" Dak, nor those who think he's a lost cause.
ok stats are real, but we/you dont know if mike is even aware of those stats.
With the new hire of analytical staff, I think mike wants to lean on analytics for play calling, simplify plays and get them to execute better.
And maybe some quicker passing.
But really there is no telling what the offense will be like this season, too many changes.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
One other thing we need to do better with dak is get him into Rythm earlier. We’ve seen what type of player he is when he gets it going. When he builds confidence in a game.

It’s why I’d love to see us use the read option more. Just to pickup a key first down or so once every drive.

Other teams run it half of their plays… the few times we run it in games it works very well. Cause we have good weapons that can create misdirection… we also have a good oline… and while dak isn’t the fastest qb… he’s big and we’ve seen he can make plays with his feet.

CCBoy

Reaction score
These defenses aren't going to change, the book's written. Yes the receiver corps improved, (as is hopefully play design) but dismissing Dak's involvement as he's got 'weaknesses' without exploring what scenario's we want him to avoid is an ostrich strategy based on hope.Yes it's a team game, however, everything goes through the QB.
Start changing how a defense has to play you and things are changed. Often dramatically...just not in a fiction story. Force them to have to race to the extremities and linebackers are more on their heels. Especially when facing backs that easily can leave them flat out - behind. That does exist now as well as forcing more completions deeper down the field and opening screens.

Don't kid ones self, things have changed and not in pretend land.

The Cowboys themselves are able to force momentum now, on both sides of the ball. Don't think that matters, look again!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ask him if you can just date his daughter and work for him, Ace...maybe where your place for an addition exactly is.

Above grace being bestowed in this thread, by yourself, he is a Cowboys member of the Hall of Fame.

Now run back to playing in the street and insult on coming cars... :popcorn:
The original comment was in reference to Dak being a failure for his age and interceptions this past season. That was put in place as not being a proof of failure, despite popularity contests along the sidelines.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I do like the short quick passes O, but there could be a problem. When running that type O, if the QB doesn't read the D correctly, pick 6.
Over coming obstacles and that involves momentums...not just a Dak item for ridicule.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak gave up 10% more INT's per throw than the 2nd most. That's a "fair margin" don't you think? As far as those batted balls, don't you think that other QB's deal with that? How about the ones that he put right in a defender's hands and they dropped? I saw the stat above and just don't believe it. I recall some dropped INT's but I'm not going to go play by play through the entire season to confirm it for people who already have their mind made up.

Since you gave me the benefit of the doubt, I'll do the same for you. More "pocket time" is better. You have to sort that column by "descending", in which case Dak came out 11th. You must have sorted it by ascending to get 17th. Edit add: Pro-football-reference keeps extra decimal points they don't display I believe. Despite the fact that Dak's 2.5 would actually tie him for 6th, the real number is 11th.

RkPlayerTmAgePosGGSCmpAttYdsSkPktTime
BltzHrryHitsPrssPrss%ScrmYds/Scr
1Justin FieldsCHI23QB15151923182242552.7102333111926.9%699.6
2Patrick Mahomes*+KAN27QB17174356485250262.6160585614019.4%467.5
3Derek Carr*LVR31QB15153055023522272.6119334010018.4%146.9
4Lamar JacksonBAL25QB12122033262242262.612532157319.4%248.2
5Marcus MariotaATL29QB13131843002219282.610113337420.9%267.4
6Justin HerbertLAC24QB17174776994739382.5182507216021.1%226.5
7Kirk Cousins*MIN34QB17174246434547462.5159368416623.7%129.1
8Josh Allen*BUF26QB16163595674283332.5144414011417.4%579.4
9Russell WilsonDEN34QB15152924833524552.5138426516228.6%287.8
10Daniel JonesNYG25QB16163174723205442.5137465314325.1%537.2
11Dak PrescottDAL29QB12122613942860202.510229378620.0%155.0
Fair point on the sorting business. But I actually interpreted it the other way. I considered the guys with the lower pocket times to be releasing the ball sooner. Which may have been an inaccurate interpretation but the fact that Fields had the most pocket time but was tied for the most sacked despite being one of the most athletic QBs in the game makes me lean even further in that direction. He was sacked almost 3X as much as Dak despite having more pocket time. To me that screams holding the ball longer not having better protection. Look at Brady.. sacked 22 times in 733 attempts so over 750 dropbacks but only 2.2 seconds of pocket time. That's getting rid of the ball quicker.. Brady wasn't interested in being hit so the ball was gone in 2.2 seconds whether anybody was open or not. That sort of thing is what makes this yet another raw number that falls woefully short of telling the whole story.

As for the volleyball INTs.. I have Sunday Ticket and watch bits of just about every game.. I also watch highlights every week. So I feel like can say with a HIGH degree of confidence that Dak led the league in tipped and batted ball INTs by a pretty good margin. If someone has evidence that someone else suffered more, feel free to present it. Either way no biggie.. it'll be someone else's turn to suffer that affliction this year. It's just one of those things that happens. It had never happened to Dak before and I don't expect it to ever happen to him again. It's like that year he had like 18 fumbles but 10 or 12 of them bounced right back up to him. The raw numbers say he fumbled 18 times.. but only 5-6 of them actually turned into to turnovers. I think he even threw TD passes off of a couple of them. Fluky stuff happens.. I tend not to read too much into it unless it shows up over and over again.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No stat is perfect and yes there are other factors, however, it gives an indication (not as a hate on Dak) what he and the offense isn't comfortable doing.
I agree that standing alone Pocket Time means nothing (as its an average, that doesnt factor in success), but when cross referenced to that time and the INT's on 3rd Down's, long downs and evdn on his (55) rating when trailing with >2 mins) there COULD be a reflection on what how we need to play.to get the best out of the whole offense.
Yep, like any other QB in any other offense?

kskboys

Reaction score
Over coming obstacles and that involves momentums...not just a Dak item for ridicule.
Gawdawmighty, you missed again. Are you really one of those that makes everything about Dak? Ick, I had thought better of you.