Time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett

foofighters

Reaction score
Yes, Jason Garrett needed to be fired, and the Cowboys needed to move on to another coach. Now that they've settled on Mike McCarthy, it is time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett. Whatever else you may say about Garrett, he gave the Cowboys 20 years of dedicated service, and although he came up short, no one can honestly say he didn't give it his best effort.

The vast majority of "fans" gloating over his firing couldn't come close to being as professional as Garrett, and couldn't coach the team better than Garrett did. It is sad that he didn't become what Jerry Jones hoped he would be.

Sometime in the future, Garrett may get another chance elsewhere. At that point, we'll find out if Garrett was really the issue and is truly just a mediocre coach, or if Garrett was too hamstrung by Jerry Jones to have a true opportunity to be successful. Whatever the case, it clearly wasn't working for Dallas. Quite frankly, I don't know if it was Garrett, or if the Cowboys coaching environment is so toxic that no one can be successful. I do know (along with everyone else who is gloating) that Garret and Jones weren't getting it done together in Dallas, and that Jones isn't leaving. So Garrett had to go.

But I think the man deserves more respect than many are giving him. He has been a dedicated Cowboy for a long time, and his family has been associated with the Cowboys for even longer. Surely, that service deserves more respect than what some fans are dishing out.
Who?

morasp

Reaction score
Maybe he'll sign with the Giants and kick the Cowboys butts twice a year.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t wish any ill will on the guy and hope he moves on to get another head coaching gig, mostly to see what he can do out from under Jerry. But, make no mistake that Garrett conned the Jones’ into a decade long ‘process’ who had no business being a HC in the first place.

I never wanted him here and am glad to see him go......vaya con dios rojo :thumbup:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How is that a difference? Do you really think there haven't been a lot of other head coaches that failed that didn't have what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL?

Besides, even if that's true, that's on Jerry, not Jason. Jason didn't hire himself, or retain himself for 9 years.
It’s on Jerry that Garrett sucks at his job and failed? lol

yah right. Garrett had every opportunity and sucked. Nobody to blame but himself. So Garrett should blame Jerry for giving him a job and then giving him 10 years?

Laughable

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
Yes, Jason Garrett needed to be fired, and the Cowboys needed to move on to another coach. Now that they've settled on Mike McCarthy, it is time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett. Whatever else you may say about Garrett, he gave the Cowboys 20 years of dedicated service, and although he came up short, no one can honestly say he didn't give it his best effort.

The vast majority of "fans" gloating over his firing couldn't come close to being as professional as Garrett, and couldn't coach the team better than Garrett did. It is sad that he didn't become what Jerry Jones hoped he would be.

Sometime in the future, Garrett may get another chance elsewhere. At that point, we'll find out if Garrett was really the issue and is truly just a mediocre coach, or if Garrett was too hamstrung by Jerry Jones to have a true opportunity to be successful. Whatever the case, it clearly wasn't working for Dallas. Quite frankly, I don't know if it was Garrett, or if the Cowboys coaching environment is so toxic that no one can be successful. I do know (along with everyone else who is gloating) that Garret and Jones weren't getting it done together in Dallas, and that Jones isn't leaving. So Garrett had to go.

But I think the man deserves more respect than many are giving him. He has been a dedicated Cowboy for a long time, and his family has been associated with the Cowboys for even longer. Surely, that service deserves more respect than what some fans are dishing out.

How can I say this politely so it won’t affect your tender sensibilities.....

Garrett is absolute trash as a HC
He was a spineless jellyfish who talked a good game but was content with mediocrity
He wasted the careers of many NFL players and 10 years of Cowboys fans to hang on to fill his pockets

he deserves no “respect “

visionary

Reaction score
It’s on Jerry that Garrett

yah right. Garrett had every opportunity and sucked. Nobody to blame but himself. So Garrett should blame Jerry for giving him a job and then giving him 10 years?

Laughable

Laughable

you have to remember who you are talking to

InTheZone

Reaction score
I dislike Garrett and haven't said a word about him since he was officially off the team. Im glad they moved on, I believe this will trickle into other much needed objective changes on the roster.

CB61

Reaction score

I gave him that respect and another thread yesterday he's a great talent evaluator he was great with the players his in-game adjustments clock management and unwillingness to change direction is what really bothered me about him maybe some of that was Jerry pulling the strings I don't know but hey as well as he knew Jerry he needed to go to Jerry say look we need to change directions this is got to stop and he didn't know if anyone could have talked Jerry into it it would have been Jason Garrett

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Laughable
It’s on Jerry for both hiring him and retaining him. Particularly retaining him for so long. All Garrett did was accept the job and work hard at it. There is no shame in that. Jerry is the one that was charged with evaluating the performance and changing coaches if needed.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I won't bag on the clapper. I'm doing the clapping NOW !!! :)

source.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s on Jerry for both hiring him and retaining him. Particularly retaining him for so long. All Garrett did was accept the job and work hard at it. There is no shame in that. Jerry is the one that was charged with evaluating the performance and changing coaches if needed.

None of that changes the fact that Garrett sucked at his job and was ultimately fired for us failures.
And its telling because Jerry is specifically going out of his way to hire someone that:

"has a track record of success as a HC in the NFL" "has experience as a HC"

Clearly he learned his lesson and does want some on the job training idiot like Garrett anymore.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Is the 20 year thing attributable to Garrett being that good that he earned those 20 years or on Jerry for keeping him there for 20 years? Garrett was a middle manager all of his tenure with Dallas. Guys like that are good company men who never rock the boat and just go to work day in and day out. He deserves credit for being faithful. To that I tip my hat to him. There is something to be said for being faithful. Jason certainly was that. But, lasting 20 years was undeserved and Jerry should be ostracized more for that than Garrett. Jerry just is not good at personnel issues. He may be good at making a business profitable, but at running a football team not so much.