Time to Rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
This idea that you can just build through the draft is lunacy and proves that some fans here will buy anything the Jones are selling.

Let's say your team can improve X amount through the draft.

Now, let's say Y is the amount you can improve through free agency.

Dallas was the 9th best team last year (drafting 24th), or the 5th best team in the NFC, and the 49ers were the 2nd best team or the best team in the NFC, which is what Dallas should be aiming for.

The Cowboys draft last year was horrible, but let's say the Cowboys and 49ers improve a similar amount through draft picks. I think it's extremly arrogant to assume the Cowboys will just outdraft their opponents and again, last year's class is proof of that.

Cowboys (24) + X and choose not to add Y is going to be less than the 49ers (31) + X + Y.

Where does the opportunity to overcome the 49ers come from? That's not even counting coaching advantages. Is it just hope?

Hope can't be your strategy.
The opportunity comes from Jerry's season-ending pep talks in the locker room..."We'll get 'em next year!"

Chasing6

Reaction score
This idea that you can just build through the draft is lunacy and proves that some fans here will buy anything the Jones are selling.

Let's say your team can improve X amount through the draft.

Now, let's say Y is the amount you can improve through free agency.

Dallas was the 9th best team last year (drafting 24th), or the 5th best team in the NFC, and the 49ers were the 2nd best team or the best team in the NFC, which is what Dallas should be aiming for.

The Cowboys draft last year was horrible, but let's say the Cowboys and 49ers improve a similar amount through draft picks. I think it's extremly arrogant to assume the Cowboys will just outdraft their opponents and again, last year's class is proof of that.

Cowboys (24) + X and choose not to add Y is going to be less than the 49ers (31) + X + Y.

Where does the opportunity to overcome the 49ers come from? That's not even counting coaching advantages. Is it just hope?

Hope can't be your strategy.
The draft is obviously an inexpensive gamble, if you will. Free agency, is more of a known commodity, which prices may very based on results/demand.

Both are needed to compete at a high level.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Last year was amazing. To a man the players and Ownership consider it to be a monumental success. Not only are we running it back but we are doubling down. All players get massive pay raises. We like our guys.

Deionindahood

Reaction score
Last year was amazing. To a man the players and Ownership consider it to be a monumental success. Not only are we running it back but we are doubling down. All players get massive pay raises. We like our guys.
Exactly. Remember how giddy Jerry was with the blowout win over the Commanders in December. If I remember correctly, he said it was as good if not better than a SB win. So Jerry is content with regular season success...and not much else.

js66

Reaction score
Personally, I think I'd run it back one more time. Keep Dak, and McCarthy on their one year deals. Depending on how you feel about paying a top WR during a rebuild... maybe you keep Lamb on his one year deal too.

I highly doubt they go this route.... but in 2025 you could have quite a sale of talent if you wanted to reboot and you could pick a new coach for the rebuild as well.

- Let Dak walk = a ton of cap space
- Trade Micah
- Franchise and trade Lamb
- Trade Martin
- Trade Diggs
- Trade Bland
- Trade Ferguson

Trading the above for picks would bring quite the haul. It would also free up an amazing amount of cap space.

I could be wrong on these but two team building options that we really don't take advantage of and I've always wanted to use:
- GM's value 2024 1st rd picks more than 2025 picks. And they value 2025 picks more than 2026. You can trade 3 years into the future.
- Salary cap space roll's over. As far as I know there is no limit.

Most GM's are in win immediately mode to keep their jobs. We are to some extent because of Jerry's age, but I was always mad we didn't do this. I would free up $75-$100M in cap space, not use it and roll it over. I would do that for a year, possibly two. I would continually roll that space over and use it as huge cap advantage over other teams. It would be a rough year or two, but you would stock pile a ton of cap space to use later and probably find a few good young players with those guys playing significant snaps.

I would also trade back in the draft, repeatedly and years back if possible. I'd trade a 2024 1st, for 2025 2nd and 1st. Or trade 2nd rounder in 2024 for a 2025 2nd and 2026 2nd. Moving back and continually adding assets while rebuilding.

Then 2 or 3 years into it.... build with an army of draft picks and cap space.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rebuilding doesn't happen in a hurry. It takes time. Most are crying about winning 12 games a year, imagine winning 3 or 4.
1989 1-15
1990 7-9
1991 11-5
1992 13-3 and super bowl win

I have the patience of an oyster here.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What’s the difference between 5-12 and 12-5? Well for starters 12-5 gets you in the playoffs every year which means you’re in the hunt. Being in the playoffs and in the hunt consistently- typically means you’re a well run stable organization. Going 12-5 has brought stability we haven’t seen here since the 90s.

Further more winning double digit games every year gives you a chance for a Super Bowl. The more bites at the apple the higher the odds are that one year you eventually break through. The brady patriots and Mahomes chiefs are rarity’s. It’s extremely hard to win in this league despite what some keyboard warriors tell us.

The Bree’s saints, Seahawks, flacco ravens, rodgers packers, all teams in the modern era who consistently put themselves in the playoffs which gives them a chance and eventually they busted through and won a ring. People keep underselling what it means to be a quality football team year in a year out. It doesn’t mean you have to be satisfied with falling short or not reaching our goals but you can be disappointed in the moment while still appreciating big picture what the team is trying to build.
12-5 and a quick exit doesn't help you get better year over year tho. Good enough for playoffs yes, good enough for your stars to get a big second contract, bad draft position to get big rookie star on good rookie contract.

5-12 hopefully means less 2nd big contracts and a better draft position.

This team after 3 years of 12-5 and early playoff exits isn't getting any better this year with everyone getting a year older and more big contracts looming.

mardwin

Reaction score
Rebuilding doesn't happen in a hurry. It takes time. Most are crying about winning 12 games a year, imagine winning 3 or 4.
This franchise hasn't gone through a rebuilding process since the Jimmy Johnson days. if you think just patching holes to stay relevant is going to get you to a Superbowl, think again.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Personally, I think I'd run it back one more time. Keep Dak, and McCarthy on their one year deals. Depending on how you feel about paying a top WR during a rebuild... maybe you keep Lamb on his one year deal too.

I highly doubt they go this route.... but in 2025 you could have quite a sale of talent if you wanted to reboot and you could pick a new coach for the rebuild as well.

- Let Dak walk = a ton of cap space
- Trade Micah
- Franchise and trade Lamb
- Trade Martin
- Trade Diggs
- Trade Bland
- Trade Ferguson

Trading the above for picks would bring quite the haul. It would also free up an amazing amount of cap space.

I could be wrong on these but two team building options that we really don't take advantage of and I've always wanted to use:
- GM's value 2024 1st rd picks more than 2025 picks. And they value 2025 picks more than 2026. You can trade 3 years into the future.

Most GM's are in win immediately mode to keep their jobs. We are to some extent because of Jerry's age, but I was always mad we didn't do this. I would free up $75-$100M in cap space, not use it and roll it over. I would do that for a year, possibly two. I would continually roll that space over and use it as huge cap advantage over other teams. It would be a rough year or two, but you would stock pile a ton of cap space to use later and probably find a few good young players with those guys playing significant snaps.

I would also trade back in the draft, repeatedly and years back if possible. I'd trade a 2024 1st, for 2025 2nd and 1st. Or trade 2nd rounder in 2024 for a 2025 2nd and 2026 2nd. Moving back and continually adding assets while rebuilding.

I would keep Ferguson and Bland, both still on rookie deals. Especially Ferguson, love is physicality. Not easy to find.

MyFairLady

Reaction score

These are awesome ideas and things I would love to see us do on a regular basis. They are fundamentals that someone would use if they were interested in maximizing the potential for winning. Unfortunately they are the complete opposite of the way we operate and they run counter to the objectives that we have set forth.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
After reading Lamb's comment, Dak's situation, and Parsons wanting to get paid, is it logical to pay these guys as the top players of their positions if we can not win in the post season. Why pay this much to only continue to fail in the post season? Let's face it, the team is stuck and needs a face lift in a hurry. "Going all in" is just a joke. What is the difference between 12-5 and 5-12 if we flame out every post season? Finishing 5-12 gets us a high 1st rd pick. 12-5 gets us nothing but false hopes.
It's time for JJ to think about the future and quit thinking about his sorry self. For once, do us and your family a favor and quit thinking about yourself and find a way to unload Prescot and move up in the draft to get a high 1sy rd QB. If JJ can snag a QB in the draft who would bring a rookie contract to the party, then he can start weeding out the ME PLAYERS on the team. There should be plenty of CAP SPACE money to go out and sign some game changing FAs who will bring a different brand of football to the Cowboys. A rebuild could possibly be short and sweet if our GM plays his cards right.................

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1989 1-15
1990 7-9
1991 11-5
1992 13-3 and super bowl win

I have the patience of an oyster here.
We also had great draft position and the Herschal Walker trade.....that's gonna be a big oyster. Lol

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This franchise hasn't gone through a rebuilding process since the Jimmy Johnson days. if you think just patching holes to stay relevant is going to get you to a Superbowl, think again.
Two different situations....we don't have Herschal Walker or top draft picks....if you think it's the same thing, think again.

Chasing6

Reaction score
After reading Lamb's comment, Dak's situation, and Parsons wanting to get paid, is it logical to pay these guys as the top players of their positions if we can not win in the post season. Why pay this much to only continue to fail in the post season? Let's face it, the team is stuck and needs a face lift in a hurry. "Going all in" is just a joke. What is the difference between 12-5 and 5-12 if we flame out every post season? Finishing 5-12 gets us a high 1st rd pick. 12-5 gets us nothing but false hopes.
The nice thing about actually going all in, is that it naturally leads to a tear down and rebuild because you go into salary cap hell.

The Jones' have decided no more cap hell. They want to hang out in the middle of the pack in an attempt to be relevant and in the conversation every year, with no real reality of winning a SB.

Half our fans buy into this and think this is our year, every year, just to be disappointed and then blame the QB, because they don't know any better.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
12-5 and a quick exit doesn't help you get better year over year tho. Good enough for playoffs yes, good enough for your stars to get a big second contract, bad draft position to get big rookie star on good rookie contract.

5-12 hopefully means less 2nd big contracts and a better draft position.

This team after 3 years of 12-5 and early playoff exits isn't getting any better this year with everyone getting a year older and more big contracts looming.
Yeah I’ve lived through both scenarios I’ll take the 12-5 team we are now and see what moves we make this off-season to get us where we want before I judge. Disagree big time that a team that’s one of the youngest in the league isn’t going to get any better…that’s just silly. Bland’s hit his ceiling? Ceedee has hit his ceiling? Tyler smith at his ceiling? Ferguson is at his ceiling? Now maybe they get better and it’s not good enough…time will tell but to say they can’t get better is a bit ridiculous.

I find it ironic that so many here (not you specifically) scream about how bad the ownership is, the management is and our roster building is yet simultaneously want the team to go 5-12 so they can “start over” and build through the draft. How can it be that you trust such malcontents who run the franchise to start over?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve lived through both scenarios I’ll take the 12-5 team we are now and see what moves we make this off-season to get us where we want before I judge. Disagree big time that a team that’s one of the youngest in the league isn’t going to get any better…that’s just silly. Bland’s hit his ceiling? Ceedee has hit his ceiling? Tyler smith at his ceiling? Ferguson is at his ceiling? Now maybe they get better and it’s not good enough…time will tell but to say they can’t get better is a bit ridiculous.

I find it ironic that so many here (not you specifically) scream about how bad the ownership is, the management is and our roster building is yet simultaneously want the team to go 5-12 so they can “start over” and build through the draft. How can it be that you trust such malcontents who run the franchise to start over?
We should be doing both. Go all in over the next 2 years. Extend Dak just make sure it is a trade-able contract. Pay Lamb and go get a legit DT. All big contracts need to be trade-able period.

If it does not work that is ok. We gave it our best shot. Go into rebuild mode and trade everyone. Get $60m+ under the cap. Go 4-13 for 2 years accumulate a ton of picks. Rebuild the trenches first. Then get your young QB on a cheap contract. Keep him sheltered and buy time for him to grow and develop. The strategy should not be hard. Definitely difficult to execute, but what we are doing currently, trying to stay relevant and give false hope every year is getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.