Time to Rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
To answer OP, no, it is NOT worth paying all your money to three players if you will never win a Super Bowl or get to the NFCCG. You don't cripple your team's future to go 12-5 and a division title. But, Jerry isn't blowing anything up. He doesn't care enough. Heck, the dude won't even go "all in" and get three or four pieces that could ACTUALLY WIN a Super Bowl. Plus, in the last decade, Jerry could have gotten us TWO rings by now if he had done what he needed to do to help his team over. He simply won't do that, and he simply won't blow it up. You have to finally be sick enough of losing...and Jerry ain't there yet. His ratings are gold.

Chasing6

Reaction score
To answer OP, no, it is NOT worth paying all your money to three players if you will never win a Super Bowl or get to the NFCCG. You don't cripple your team's future to go 12-5 and a division title. But, Jerry isn't blowing anything up. He doesn't care enough. Heck, the dude won't even go "all in" and get three or four pieces that could ACTUALLY WIN a Super Bowl. Plus, in the last decade, Jerry could have gotten us TWO rings by now if he had done what he needed to do to help his team over. He simply won't do that, and he simply won't blow it up. You have to finally be sick enough of losing...and Jerry ain't there yet. His ratings are gold.
Jeruh does not think he is losing. That is part of the problem.

Slick

Reaction score
What’s the difference between 5-12 and 12-5? Well for starters 12-5 gets you in the playoffs every year which means you’re in the hunt. Being in the playoffs and in the hunt consistently- typically means you’re a well run stable organization. Going 12-5 has brought stability we haven’t seen here since the 90s.

Further more winning double digit games every year gives you a chance for a Super Bowl. The more bites at the apple the higher the odds are that one year you eventually break through. The brady patriots and Mahomes chiefs are rarity’s. It’s extremely hard to win in this league despite what some keyboard warriors tell us.

The Bree’s saints, Seahawks, flacco ravens, rodgers packers, all teams in the modern era who consistently put themselves in the playoffs which gives them a chance and eventually they busted through and won a ring. People keep underselling what it means to be a quality football team year in a year out. It doesn’t mean you have to be satisfied with falling short or not reaching our goals but you can be disappointed in the moment while still appreciating big picture what the team is trying to build.
You are incorrect. All 3 seasons the reason they never made it past the first round was all the real playoff teams would have smoked them.

They are great pretenders and have proven to not get a whiff of a SB. Those are the facts.

They need wholesale changes, why it took so long to reach this understanding I didn't know.

Dak has had talent around him other QBs would have done a lot more with.

Comparing this team to the legacy dynasty SB winners is a pipe dream. Wake up, and stop buying what the Jones Family is selling.

Its failure over decades.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You are incorrect. All 3 seasons the reason they never made it past the first round was all the real playoff teams would have smoked them.

They are great pretenders and have proven to not get a whiff of a SB. Those are the facts.

They need wholesale changes, why it took so long to reach this understanding I didn't know.

Comparing this team to the legacy dynasty SB winners is a pipe dream. Wake up, and stop buying what the Jones Family is selling.

It's failure over decades.
Wholesale changes? Jones family is going nowhere.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

It’s failure over decades.
No those aren’t facts lol, thats your opinion which I don’t agree with but will respect. Legacy quarterbacks like whom? Flacco is a legacy qb? Russell Wilson is a legacy qb? Mahomes absolutely is a legacy qb- never mentioned the chiefs and the cowboys in the same breathe in fact I said the opposite.

Rodgers is absolutely a legacy quarterback and he has 1 Super Bowl. Marino is a legacy quarterback and he has zero, that shows you how hard it is to win in this league which actually makes your argument even more hollow. All 3 seasons we wouldn’t beat any of the other Playoff teams? We beat Detroit this year they made and had a huge lead in the championship game, we beat Philly last year, we beat the rams this year another playoff team.

Now we aren’t in the same tier at all as the ravens,chiefs or San Fran. That’s where this off-season matters immensely and if they go the cheap route again I’ll be extremely frustrated.

Deionindahood

Reaction score
It was a dumb thread to begin with. Bizarre because it ain’t happening which is obvious as your nose. And for good reason. But I loved how the thread turned out because it identifies those who have no clue.
Ok, so you think it's dumb to avoid overpaying players who we cannot count on in the post season. It's not bizarre in theory, it's bizarre because Jerry won't do it . Look at our cap number and what we have accomplished. According to Spotrac.com, we are 3M OVER the cap. SF is 6M UNDER, KC is 28M UNDER. We have Dak, Parsons, and Lamb to pay, and all three want to be paid at an elite level. I think you need to look in the mirror when identifying those who you think are clueless.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok, so you think it's dumb to avoid overpaying players who we cannot count on in the post season. It's not bizarre in theory, it's bizarre because Jerry won't do it . Look at our cap number and what we have accomplished. According to Spotrac.com, we are 3M OVER the cap. SF is 6M UNDER, KC is 28M UNDER. We have Dak, Parsons, and Lamb to pay, and all three want to be paid at an elite level. I think you need to look in the mirror when identifying those who you think are clueless.
Everytime you post something just solidifies you have no clue.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's just beyond weird how so many have no idea of what the salary cap is. Yes, you can manipulate it. No, you cannot manipulate it to do anything you want.

And then add in that major manipulations now will kill us in the very near future.

kskboys

Reaction score
No those aren’t facts lol, thats your opinion which I don’t agree with but will respect. Legacy quarterbacks like whom? Flacco is a legacy qb? Russell Wilson is a legacy qb? Mahomes absolutely is a legacy qb- never mentioned the chiefs and the cowboys in the same breathe in fact I said the opposite.

Rodgers is absolutely a legacy quarterback and he has 1 Super Bowl. Marino is a legacy quarterback and he has zero, that shows you how hard it is to win in this league which actually makes your argument even more hollow. All 3 seasons we wouldn’t beat any of the other Playoff teams? We beat Detroit this year they made and had a huge lead in the championship game, we beat Philly last year, we beat the rams this year another playoff team.

Now we aren’t in the same tier at all as the ravens,chiefs or San Fran. That’s where this off-season matters immensely and if they go the cheap route again I’ll be extremely frustrated.
Except that we're forced to go the cheap route due to no salary cap room to maneuver.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Except that we're forced to go the cheap route due to no salary cap room to maneuver.
No they aren’t “forced” at all lol…the cowboys choose to go the cheap route to emphasize roster building through the draft. They don’t want to be players in free agency. They could create enough cap room to sign any big name player they wanted to if they chose that direction.

The cowboys have decided not to be major players in free agency except for small deals and prices they want. The cowboys can create as much space as they need…doesn’t mean they will or should but they could.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/5-mo...-free-up-70-million-in-cap-space-01hq3j5eq21y

kskboys

Reaction score
No they aren’t “forced” at all lol…the cowboys choose to go the cheap route to emphasize roster hulking through the draft. They don’t want to be players in free agency. They could create enough cap room to sign any big name player they wanted to if they chose that direction.

The cowboys have decided not to be major players in free agency except for small deals and prices they want.
Not even remotely true. We go the cheap route for a couple of reason, very obvious ones. 1) We pay our own players a ton. 2) Very bad player evaluation skills.

Yes, to your last statement, but the decision is based on having very little room along w/ not understanding player skillsets. Jerry still has no clue why Brandon Carr is a #2 CB, or why Cedric Thornton is not a NT. He stilll thinks the Amari trade was a good trade. Those are the things that keep us from signing high dollar FA's. It has nothing to do w/ the deciding of.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Not even remotely true. We go the cheap route for a couple of reason, very obvious ones. 1) We pay our own players a ton. 2) Very bad player evaluation skills.

Yes, to your last statement, but the decision is based on having very little room along w/ not understanding player skillsets. Jerry still has no clue why Brandon Carr is a #2 CB, or why Cedric Thornton is not a NT. He stilll thinks the Amari trade was a good trade. Those are the things that keep us from signing high dollar FA's. It has nothing to do w/ the deciding of.

I have no clue what you are talking about. The cowboys evaluations on players whether good or bad has no bearing on what they “could” do. You’re moving goal posts…are you literally trying to argue with actual math? there’s pathways laid out which I showed you exactly how they can clear enough cap space to do whatever they wanted in free agency. It doesn’t mean they will or even should but they absolutely could.

The cowboys have decided that they wanna be a team who builds through the draft and signs their own players and doesn’t hand out high dollars in free agency. It’s not even a bad idea in theory. a lot of teams Build this way but it’s not a coincidence that the last time they were players in free agency was 2011. That’s a choice. Just like last year not signing Wagner and relying on Lve to be healthy was a choice.

Your point was “they couldn’t sign any major free agent bc of the salary cap”….that’s absolutely wrong. The cowboys could resign ceedee, Micah, dak, cut Gallup, restructure Martin and others and go out and sign Patrick queen in march (not saying they should). You’re 1000% wrong and you’re arguing against actual numbers that prove otherwise.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
if anyone is simply saying the cowboys won’t be players in free agency…I’d agree. Anyone whose saying they can’t be if they wanted to be is simply arguing with actual numbers and is obtuse.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Parsons & Lamb are young top tier talent at their position . How do you get better by losing them . Now the QB I let play out the string do not extend do not pass go do not collect 200 million .

Chasing6

Reaction score
Parsons & Lamb are young top tier talent at their position . How do you get better by losing them . Now the QB I let play out the string do not extend do not pass go do not collect 200 million .
I wonder if teams are better off having 3 or 4 top 3 players at a position or better off having 10 players in the top 5 to 10 range.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Sunday after Sunday Parsons & Lamb deliver there young if Dallas doesn’t want them 31 other teams will

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And the pity party continues.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This idea that you can just build through the draft is lunacy and proves that some fans here will buy anything the Jones are selling.

Let's say your team can improve X amount through the draft.

Now, let's say Y is the amount you can improve through free agency.

Dallas was the 9th best team last year (drafting 24th), or the 5th best team in the NFC, and the 49ers were the 2nd best team or the best team in the NFC, which is what Dallas should be aiming for.

The Cowboys draft last year was horrible, but let's say the Cowboys and 49ers improve a similar amount through draft picks. I think it's extremly arrogant to assume the Cowboys will just outdraft their opponents and again, last year's class is proof of that.

Cowboys (24) + X and choose not to add Y is going to be less than the 49ers (31) + X + Y.

Where does the opportunity to overcome the 49ers come from? That's not even counting coaching advantages. Is it just hope?

Hope can't be your strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.