Time to seriously start considering possibility of Tunsil

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Tunsil would represent a massive miss-allocation of resources.

Really? if you could put a 6th round running back and have him run for 1500 yards and another 6th Round QB and have him throw for 4K, 40TDs and have time to find receivers...well...how much value do you put on the OL? I'm not saying I would do it, but it wouldn't be a bad pick.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
There is no way SD passes on drafting Tunsil, so forget about it.

Ramsey is certainly still in the cards for San Diego.

If Tunsil is available at #4 there are 10 minutes on the clock to make the pick. Waiting on a lopsided trade or running to the podium with 30 ticks left to secure the big OT, he's the best Player in the Draft.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If Tunsil is there, I do entertain a trade down from 5 to 7 if it comes with at least a second round draft pick maybe a 3rd.

If we can drop down a couple spots and pick up Elliott, and then pick up another player high 2? That would be perfect for us.

That being said Tunsil would change this offense just like Elliot would. Only two players I see transforming our team this year.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
By the time we have to pay all these guys on the OL Romo will retire. Everyone is forgetting that the time line set up for these young OLmen to get paid coincides with when we'll have a young QB on a rookie scale contract.

This is an important tidbit.

We have to continue w/ the old school mentality of "it all starts up front" and continue to build the trenches.

I don't think Tunsil will be there but if so:
1. Look for a 1 sided trade, blow us away type (this is a cornerstone, franchise player- LT, you build around)
2. You scoop up another big ugly and dominate at one position group.

I don't need to hear about allocating, overspending @ one area / position group on our team. Just build a dominate one and impose your will. This also help protect our most valued asset - TONY!

example, the Giants.
Did they win their resent Superbowls due to Eli, secondary, o-line, etc. NO
They dominated at 1 position group, their DL.

Also remember, this puts our current OTs (excluding Smith of course, and a swing tackle) out there as trade bait once injuries on other teams start to mount before the start of the season.

Sydla

Reaction score
The point is upgrading a position when the opportunity presents itself and not settling.

But that point still doesn't make sense because you are ignoring a huge factor - cost.

How do you continue to ignore that?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
But that point still doesn't make sense because you are ignoring a huge factor - cost.

How do you continue to ignore that?

Cost wasnt my point.

We signed Collins because we believed Collins>>Leary even though Leary was a solid starter

Hopefully we would draft Tunsil because we believe
Tunsil>>>Free and Chaz Green even though the Front Office may believe they are solid starters

I would also hope we still would draft Zeke even though we signed Morris and DMC had a good yr last year.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
People who keep on mentioning cost aren't seeing it the right way.

Will we have to pay all of these players? Absolutely. Is that problematic? Not especially. When you have a group be the strength of your team, your team can lean on them. This means that we don't need to have the best skill position players and the most expensive skill position players. And the timing of paying people is completely different as well.

When you would have to pay Tunsil, Romo is gone, and now you have a QB on their rookie contract. You have to pay Smith and Frederick probably, but Martin and Collins may be more backloaded with larger signing bonuses prorating the hit over the course of say 6-7 years.

You get a young running back and a young tight end and this offense is probably set for any young QB when they come in day 1. This allows you to focus primarily on defense in both free agency and the draft.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Really good discussion here.

Outside of the top two QBs, Tunsil is the guy I most covet at the top of the draft. If he is the only one left on the board between these three, and there are no offers to trade back, you draft the best lineman in the draft.

This really seems a no-brainer to me. Some have called him the best tackle prospect since Joe Thomas.