Time to seriously start considering possibility of Tunsil

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It's simple really.

With the resources on the line already, I can expect the law of diminishing marginal utility to be applicable. In this instance, where a competent resource is producing effectively and a 3rd round pick is behind him, I can't imagine the marginal utility gained in OL effectiveness would outweigh the opportunity costs.

Nothing personal.

Preach.

It'd sad when you have to go econ 101 on people.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If the scouts have him as the best player in the draft, how do you pass on him?

That is what is called "window dressing" your board...........why even bother having scouts rank players if you are just going to ignore the board on draft day?

If they have no intention at all of drafting him, under any conditions, then they should take him off the board completely. Having guys on the board that you have no intention of drafting is just stupid. That is not how you put a draft board together.

Because players aren't just lumped in a straight line. They are graded in tiers. It is unlikely that Tunsil is in a tier by himself. If that were the case you look to trade down.

It's not just about creating a board... It's also about knowing how to maneuver in a draft.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I'd take Tunsil over Ramsey in a heartbeat.

I dont think some of you guys understand how bad of a player Doug Free is.
And I don't think you watched last season or paid attention to the third round last year.

C'est la Vie

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
http://cowboyszone.com/threads/doug-free-is-a-liability.335261/

Read this thread buddy, and try and spin that Doug Free is a good RT.

Yea lets talk about the 3rd round, where we reached for an injury prone tackle in college. Yep lets pass on a potential all-pro because we have Chaz Green waiting in the wings.

I was excited to read some scouting reports on free from professionals. Instead you linked me to a whine thread on the zone.

I also like how you call Green overrated even tho you've probably never seen him play.

Interesting.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I was excited to read some scouting reports on free from professionals. Instead you linked me to a whine thread on the zone.

I also like how you call Green overrated even tho you've probably never seen him play.

Interesting.

Look, the evidence is there that Doug Free isnt a good RT. He's average on his best day. What, did you conveniently forget how we had to shift protection towards his side to help him? Did you forget at one point we rotated him and Parnell because he was a liability?

cnhnyy

Reaction score
OT and QB are the most important positions in the NFL and this is why most of the first picks are them. Tunsil sounds like an all pro from day 1 and is the best player in the draft. I would draft him in a heartbeat if he is available.

Our line is fine for running but struggles against pass rush. Just envision Smith, Collin, Federick, Martin and Tunsil. I can stand behind this line and have a QBR over 100.

Dwight

Reaction score
I'd take Tunsil over Ramsey in a heartbeat.

I dont think some of you guys understand how bad of a player Doug Free is.

BoysfanfromNY, I feel you on this.

I even heard fellow Cowboy fans say that the organization has to many resources on the oline and I scratch my head because the team has spent to many resources on the secondary.

Also you bring up a valid point - Doug Free needs to be replaced. If the top two QBs are gone when Dallas picks they should grab Tunsil in a heartbeat.

Taking an overrated DB over a talented RT would be a disaster.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
BoysfanfromNY, I feel you on this.

I even heard fellow Cowboy fans say that the organization has to many resources on the oline and I scratch my head because the team has spent to many resources on the secondary.

Also you bring up a valid point - Doug Free needs to be replaced. If the top two QBs are gone when Dallas picks they should grab Tunsil in a heartbeat.

Taking an overrated DB over a talented RT would be a disaster.

Yea it would be a disaster. History alone should tell most it would be a disaster. We've seen what drafting a corner in the top of the draft has gotten us. Now compare that to when we finally decided to take building the OL seriously and started taking the highest ranked linemen at their position. But nope, we have the great Chaz Green, so we should take Ramsey instead.

Sydla

Reaction score
Look, the evidence is there that Doug Free isnt a good RT. He's average on his best day. What, did you conveniently forget how we had to shift protection towards his side to help him? Did you forget at one point we rotated him and Parnell because he was a liability?

Provide the evidence.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
If a kicker is rated higher than a DE or CB then that kicker is a phenomenal talent and can boot 60 yarders with ease. So yes. I take the kicker.
As far as your Wentz then Lynch question goes. I will have to refrain from answering because you didn't finish the question.

Talk about a strawman. Kickers are drafted most years. Kickers don't make 60 yarders with ease. Oh well, moving on.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It's simple really.

With the resources on the line already, I can expect the law of diminishing marginal utility to be applicable. In this instance, where a competent resource is producing effectively and a 3rd round pick is behind him, I can't imagine the marginal utility gained in OL effectiveness would outweigh the opportunity costs.

Nothing personal.

I get what you're saying and it is a good point, but lets say you can't trade down are you going to take a guy like Bosa just because he is a need position?

What is the diminishing returns on taking based on need when most people don't think he is a dominant pass rusher?

I personally would rather take a dominant player. People get injured all the time, I don't see how having 2 dominant OT could be a bad thing.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
RT is still manned by an aging Doug Free who is average and can easily be cut for cap relief
We have resources that are going to help with that already. Chaz Green and Laurence Gibson. Based on their scouting and where Green was drafted, he should get every opportunity to lock that position down.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
We have resources that are going to help with that already. Chaz Green and Laurence Gibson. Based on their scouting and where Green was drafted, he should get every opportunity to lock that position down.

Gibson is no longer on the team, and you're telling me we should pass on the best player in the draft because of Chaz Green? With that mentality, Collins wouldnt be in Dallas.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I get what you're saying and it is a good point, but lets say you can't trade down are you going to take a guy like Bosa just because he is a need position?

What is the diminishing returns on taking based on need when most people don't think he is a dominant pass rusher?

I personally would rather take a dominant player. People get injured all the time, I don't see how having 2 dominant OT could be a bad thing.

There's no promise he's going to be dominant. He has potential, but there are still flaws in his game and he has to adjust to the pro game. There are Tackles drafted every year that are projected to be "dominant" that don't pan out. Luke Joeckel, Greg Robinson, etc.

There's no mutual exclusion. You don't have to draft for need simply because you feel Tunsil is overkill. Take the next BPA on your board.

Just keep it simple.

Romotil45

Reaction score
before yesterday's blockbuster trade there was a general consensus Tunsil would be a top 3 lock. This led to many crossing him off the list, however there
before yesterday's blockbuster trade there was a general consensus Tunsil would be a top 3 lock. This led to many crossing him off the list, however there is a very real possibility that SD could opt for Ramsey or Buckner and allow Tunsil to slide right into our laps.

This presents an extremely intriguing option and one that needs to be discussed. Assembling that type of offensive line could be the Cowboys quickest ticket to having a dominant unit that teams don't have an answer for, which had become a recent trend among SB winners in this salary cap modern era.

Cleveland gave up 3.3 sacks per game 30th in the league. Chargers gave up 2.5 spg rank 20th. Tunsil will not likely fall to us. If he did you trade back if can if not take best defensive player on board.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Cleveland is in very good position to trade back. They need OL help badly BEFORE they consider taking another QB in first round. If Cleveland does not trade back they should take Tunsil. If they don't SD should take him. Our best hope to trade back is someone trading up for Goff.