Time to seriously start considering possibility of Tunsil

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Gibson is no longer on the team, and you're telling me we should pass on the best player in the draft because of Chaz Green? With that mentality, Collins wouldnt be in Dallas.
I thought Gibson was on the practice squad? Guess not. Still stand by my point. Yes I expect them to give 3rd pick Chaz Green an opportunity to replace Doug Free a fourth round pick.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to create a unit teams don't have an answer for, ESPECIALLY IN THE TRENCHES, you do it.

Tunsil being the best player in this class makes that decision a lot easier.

Forge an identity

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Chargers have a ton of resources allocated to Tackle already, they will more than likely address secondary or DL... They have huge issues there.

It is very questionable that you can make the argument that you draft Tunsil at 3 with the resources they have allocated at left and right tackle. I guess you could move someone inside, but the truth is they have some pretty well paid guards too.

The only reason I think you can make the argument that Dallas could take him is that Free is aged and this would give us the opportunity to create a royal flush. It would help protect Romo for the next 4-5 years, and it would help our running game, and in helping our offense maintain possession of the ball, we'll have helped the defense.

I think we all assume law of diminishing returns, but we have to be careful. The offensive line is not wide receiver, nor is it running back. This isn't about how many touches of the football someone can get. It's about how well we protect and how well we run block and what you have to do with your skill position players in order to help your offensive line pick up the blitz.

If you can count on our five guys consistently taking their five guys, now even the 5th man blitz isn't wise. We no longer need to keep a tight end in to help block that 5th man. The defense now needs to send a 6th man in order to try and get consistent pressure. This means you only have 5 players in the secondary, with almost certainly one or two deep. That's 5 on 5 with a lot of holes in the defense.

An offensive line like we have right now can dominant the game. An offensive line we could have with Tunsil could revolutionize the game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gibson is no longer on the team, and you're telling me we should pass on the best player in the draft because of Chaz Green? With that mentality, Collins wouldnt be in Dallas.

Collins was a UDFA so your point doesn't make much sense. If Tunsil is accused of a crime tomorrow and slips out of the draft, sure it would make sense. Doesn't cost you anything but cash.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I don't think you pass on Laremy Tunsil because you owe 30 YO King Dunlap 3.3 million next year.

The best situation you have with Dunlap is that you keep him this year, but cut him next year. Cutting him this year results in a hit of 9.3 million dollars (on top of the money you're now adding for Tunsil). Next year he costs 8.3 million and the cost to cut him is 3.2 million, but that makes the real question, what do you do with Tunsil this year? Do you really just sit Dunlap?

I don't think Dunlap means you can draft Tunsil, I'm just saying it isn't a great fit for a team that went 4-12 last year and the 21st ranked defense in the nfl (ppg) versus a team that threw for 4591 yards, who's qb had a 94.5 qb rating. I just don't think he improves that team like he does ours.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
The best situation you have with Dunlap is that you keep him this year, but cut him next year. Cutting him this year results in a hit of 9.3 million dollars (on top of the money you're now adding for Tunsil). Next year he costs 8.3 million and the cost to cut him is 3.2 million, but that makes the real question, what do you do with Tunsil this year? Do you really just sit Dunlap?

I don't think Dunlap means you can draft Tunsil, I'm just saying it isn't a great fit for a team that went 4-12 last year and the 21st ranked defense in the nfl (ppg) versus a team that threw for 4591 yards, who's qb had a 94.5 qb rating. I just don't think he improves that team like he does ours.

You think Tunsil helps us more than the Chargers? Let's be honest: The Chargers aren't winning anything next year. Their pick isn't about 2016. Tunsil is a franchise LT. We have one; they don't.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The phone will be ringing like crazy if Tunsil is available at 4. If Ramsey is there or not the smart move would be to take the bounty of picks and work on closing the holes on the roster. Having said that I do not think it happens. Charges dream pick is Tunsil because their OL needs help. Ramsey will be the pick for Dallas!

I don't think so. They know the Cowboys won't take him. The Jags certainly won't, but the Ravens would take Tunsil. I think the Jags' phone will be blowing up.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to create a unit teams don't have an answer for, ESPECIALLY IN THE TRENCHES, you do it.

Tunsil being the best player in this class makes that decision a lot easier.

Forge an identity

We have a unit that teams don't have an answer for. We've forged an identity.

If the scouts grade Tunsil on a tier of his own - and decide that even at RT he's the best value - then sure: Pull the trigger. But if there's another guy on that tier, even if he's a few points below Tunsil, I think you take that guy. (Ramsey?)

If an OG, MLB, SS, FS or RB was the best player in the draft, teams would still pass on them for lesser prospects at other positions. Positional value matters. A lot. Elliot is a better RB prospect than Wentz is a QB prospect (hands down!), yet look what the Rams gave up for Wentz. Just one example.

At LT, that positional value is there to justify the pick. As we'd be playing said LT at RT, I'm not sure it is any more.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I don't think so. They know the Cowboys won't take him. The Jags certainly won't, but the Ravens would take Tunsil. I think the Jags' phone will be blowing up.

The Rams knew the Titans wouldn't take their guy too. It's not about us taking him, it's about us trading the pick to another team.

Last edited:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The Rams knew the Titans wouldn't take their guy too. It's not about us taking him, it's about us trading the pick to another team.

Right, but trading to #1 eliminates all doubt. If the Cowboys have no plans to take Tunsil, and you can call the Jags and get a better deal, you do that instead.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Right, but trading to #1 eliminates all doubt. If the Cowboys have no plans to take Tunsil, and you can call the Jags and get a better deal, you do that instead.

And trading to #4 while we're on the clock eliminates all doubt too. If you don't, you gamble that another team won't trade with us or the Jags.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You think Tunsil helps us more than the Chargers? Let's be honest: The Chargers aren't winning anything next year. Their pick isn't about 2016. Tunsil is a franchise LT. We have one; they don't.

Well this is where we disagree.

I think Tunsil gives us a revolutionary offense with what would have to be the best offensive line in history. Tunsil doesn't give the Chargers that. In fact drafting Tunsil has the Chargers benching at least one of their better players, while simultaneously not addressing their biggest position of concern, which is their secondary.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Well this is where we disagree.

I think Tunsil gives us a revolutionary offense with what would have to be the best offensive line in history. Tunsil doesn't give the Chargers that. In fact drafting Tunsil has the Chargers benching at least one of their better players, while simultaneously not addressing their biggest position of concern, which is their secondary.

Tunsil is more valuable to us at RT than the Chargers at LT? I guess we do disagree.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Collins was a UDFA so your point doesn't make much sense. If Tunsil is accused of a crime tomorrow and slips out of the draft, sure it would make sense. Doesn't cost you anything but cash.

My point was not being content at a certain guard even though Leary is a good guard in the league. We could've stuck with Leary and passed on Collins was my point.

Sydla

Reaction score
My point was not being content at a certain guard even though Leary is a good guard in the league. We could've stuck with Leary and passed on Collins was my point.

But when the only cost is cash, why wouldn't you take a guy? Collins didn't prevent us from using any draft pick to address another need.

When talking about Tunsil you are talking about using your best pick in the draft.

The two situations aren't even remotely the same.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
But when the only cost is cash, why wouldn't you take a guy? Collins didn't prevent us from using any draft pick to address another need.

When talking about Tunsil you are talking about using your best pick in the draft.

The two situations aren't even remotely the same.

The point is upgrading a position when the opportunity presents itself and not settling.