Time to sit Witten

Sydla

Reaction score
As you really start to think about our roster, you realize we have way more holes than people want to acknowledge, especially if the front office approaches FA like they have the last few years where it will be unlikely we will get any real help.

TE is definitely one area we could improve. I can't see us using an early draft pick for one, so I'd be all for bringing in a vet TE like an Eifert, who might be cheap coming off injury or a guy like Trey Burton, who might be squeezed out in Philly.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
As you really start to think about our roster, you realize we have way more holes than people want to acknowledge, especially if the front office approaches FA like they have the last few years where it will be unlikely we will get any real help.

TE is definitely one area we could improve. I can't see us using an early draft pick for one, so I'd be all for bringing in a vet TE like an Eifert, who might be cheap coming off injury or a guy like Trey Burton, who might be squeezed out in Philly.

The nature in which we dig ourselves deeper into bad situations is baffling.

We spent tremendous resources and will need to continue to spend tremendous resources on our offensive line.

An offensive line built to be physical and stout. Unfortunately, without a QB with the talent to best utilize it, it ends up being a ballast on our salary cap, especially when the running game can't carry the offense.

So the question becomes do we sink more resource into the offensive line, to which many people here will say yes... let's draft another lineman in the first... This will result in significantly diminishing returns and simultaneously leave our defense without the necessary resources it needs to be competitive both via the draft and via the salary cap.

Roland

Reaction score
This is like some IQ lowering crapp. It's amazing how so many people don't comprehend possession receivers and route running.

Did you know that if Witten catches a 3 yd pass on 3rd and 10 that he was running the route he was told to run, and that he was prolly the 4th option on that play?

I mean, this is just Football 101 stuff.
Think I heard a mic drop on that one! Wait... he's not dynamic enough or a threat. Well I guess they missed that one handed over the shoulder grab before stepping out of the endzone pass from Prescott. Made it look toooo easy!

cern

Reaction score
Silly, bloke. IP is old.
Go to a poetry slam in any city and lose the constraints of old language.

Cowboys have superstars all around
Jerry never rises to 'what could be
Sentimental, same loser competitive approach

One love, bloke!
today's poets are songwriters. genre notwithstanding.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I have had it with the fragile set, I.e. Lee, Rico, Jaylon. Romo was fragile, but he was old. Why do we choose to be a part-time rehabilitation center?
I'm with you.

To win a Championship..

we need to be different.

We cannot sit back and think Zeke and the OL are going win every week.

Sure as heck didn't work last year.

And these guys that can't get thru a year without injuries need to be moved along.

The O needs an edginess to them..a more aggressive style.

We have to throw as well as we run.

Right now we are along ways from being edgy.

And by edgy..

I mean being able to mix aggressive passes as well as 5 yard 1st downs with Witten.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
That makes zero sense to me.

2013 - 851 - 53.2 ypg
2014 - 703 - 43.9 ypg
2015 - 713 - 44.5 ypg
2016 - 673 - 42.0 ypg
2017 - 560

Last years bad passing offense in the 2nd half of the season killed all the passing stats. Before that he had pretty consistent recieving yardage. While those aren't eye popping numbers, if you think DC's don't game plan for him your very wrong.
I love JWitt just as much as the next person but every TE I named shares a dynamic ability that JWitt no longer possesses.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Silly, bloke. IP is old.
Go to a poetry slam in any city and lose the constraints of old language.

Cowboys have superstars all around
Jerry never rises to 'what could be
Sentimental, same loser competitive approach

One love, bloke!
I used to crush at those, when I lived in LA. My girlfriend was always more scared than I.
I wonder if there are any, here, in El Paso...

kskboys

Reaction score
Think I heard a mic drop on that one! Wait... he's not dynamic enough or a threat. Well I guess they missed that one handed over the shoulder grab before stepping out of the endzone pass from Prescott. Made it look toooo easy!
This spew started w/ some talking head who was throwing it out there because he gets paid to come up w/ something to talk about, and the sheep ran w/ it.

Hey, Witten's old, and he's never been a great red zone threat. Limit his snaps, and bring in some young mid round prospects. That's how you do it.

Cutting a guy w/ no replacement in sight is stupider'n dirt. And his salary cap hit at 6.5 simply isn't that big.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His cap hit is bearable going forward, but he also has no dead money on his contract for cutting him or dare I say, trading him. He is more of a barrier to success than anything at this point. Certainly not worth 6.5 million dollars. Money that could get a marquee defensive player.

Ok. So you basically just don't like Witten. Now that I know your opinion on him has nothing to do with his salary, it makes ignoring your comments on him a lot easier. :lmao2:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Ok. So you basically just don't like Witten. Now that I know your opinion on him has nothing to do with his salary, it makes ignoring your comments on him a lot easier. :lmao2:

Reading is even easier. Never said I didn't like Witten. I own four Cowboys jerseys and Witten is one of them.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
This is why I wanted a TE last year in the 1st. I'm sure it would of helped a lot more than that guy Taco.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why I wanted a TE last year in the 1st. I'm sure it would of helped a lot more than that guy Taco.
TE in the first round? Oh no.

Anyone disappointed witih Taco and his progress expected too much. All the talk during the offseason, training camp and preseason was he needed time and wouldn't make an impact last year.

zerofill

Reaction score
Some people crack me up. Witten is Mr. Professional. Sure, he has gotten older and slower. But as far as reliable, none better. He does his job and does it better than any other TE we have. He can get you 5-7 yards almost every time its thrown to him. He is not going to get you YAC. With Witten, you get what you throw, whether it is 3,5,7 or 15. People whine about him not getting to the chains. In those cases, he is usually that safety valve, dump off receiver if no one else is open. Rarely drops passes, never misses his assignment. He is good for one false start a game, but I can take that as he is also good for redzone TD.Sure, you may find a better "explosive" TE, but as far as "overall" TE skills, I will stick with Witten (only have about 2 years left with him anyways).

Yeah when I said it was a definite fact, I was referring to a previous post saying there were a heck of a lot more issues then Witten to worry about. Not a definite fact to get rid of Witten, because I personally don't think we have anyone right now that can fill his shoes.

I think we should sit Dak instead...

cern

Reaction score
I used to crush at those, when I lived in LA. My girlfriend was always more scared than I.
I wonder if there are any, here, in El Paso...
I grew up in el paso, 1951-1963. Stung 100's of times by red and black/red harvester ants. Half a dozen scorpion stings. 1 unforgettable sting by a tarantula hawk and one tarantula bite. Still it was a great place to grow up.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
In 2008, Terrell Owens lead the team in receiving yards...

You seem pretty dense.

If there is a dense one it's you. The original comment I replied to stated the Cowboys should have released Witten in 2012 and in 2012 WITTEN LED THE COWBOYS IN RECEPTIONS just like I said. I never even mentioned 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAD TRY!!!

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If there is a dense one it's you. The original comment I replied to stated the Cowboys should have released Witten in 2012 and in 2012 WITTEN LED THE COWBOYS IN RECEPTIONS just like I said. I never even mentioned 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAD TRY!!!

Still dense... The 2008 TO example was used to refute your belief that somehow leading the team in receptions would suggest that you shouldn't be cut if you aren't playing to your cost.