Time to sit Witten

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I mention I like Romo for full disclosure. He is named in my repsonse. As far as living in the past, Romo is still on the books and Witten is still on the team. I'd like a brand new Chevy Silverado but I am not going to get rid of my old Tacoma and walk until I get one.

Yeah, Romo is still on the books killing our cap and Witten is still on the team but he shouldn't be. Their time is up...

fansince68

Reaction score
Well they also don’t see that Williams can’t catch with his hands to save his life. He catches every ball with his chest. It’s almost impossible for Dak to succeed with these receivers.
Agreed. I hope Denver cuts Sanders allowing us to scrape up some dollars to sign him.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Witten was done 6 years ago.
Why is he still be trotted out there then???

Ertz
Gronk
Kelce
Reed
Graham
Howard (up & coming in TB)

Jesus Christ.... We are so inefficient at the TE position it's just utterly ridiculous. Defensive Coordinators game plan for 10 guys.

It's like laying off of the big guy in basketball that has no jumper daring him to shoot..... You can play 5 on 4. Same concept.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Your opinions on Witten are nonsensical to the point of comedy. He's going to be a first ballot HOFer. If you can't see why, then you should probably move on and try your hand at another sport.

Nothing about him being a hall of famer suggests that he is playing like one now. He absolutely isn't, but is being paid like one.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Getting rid of Witten back in 2012 would have really helped this team.

This team has never known when to get rid of players.

I agree Jones likes to hang onto his pet cats too long, and there are many examples of that. I think Witten has been a good example of that. But, Demarcus Ware left "early" to go to Denver, and yes, Payton Manning was the reason they got a new shiny ring, but Ware was also instrumental in Denver's success. Knowing when to get rid of a player is as much a crap shoot as it is when you draft a college star.

Section446

Reaction score
It's beyond time to put Witten out to pasture, he is doing nothing to help this offense get more dynamic.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I agree Jones likes to hang onto his pet cats too long, and there are many examples of that. I think Witten has been a good example of that. But, Demarcus Ware left "early" to go to Denver, and yes, Payton Manning was the reason they got a new shiny ring, but Ware was also instrumental in Denver's success. Knowing when to get rid of a player is as much a crap shoot as it is when you draft a college star.

Getting rid of Ware when he wouldn't renegotiate was the correct decision.

I think he could have really helped us that year, but we couldn't continue to pay him what we were paying him.

The real issue is that the Cowboys made this decision too late and got nothing for him. The year prior I had called for him to be traded.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are so inefficient at the TE position it's just utterly ridiculous. Defensive Coordinators game plan for 10 guys.
That makes zero sense to me.

2013 - 851 - 53.2 ypg
2014 - 703 - 43.9 ypg
2015 - 713 - 44.5 ypg
2016 - 673 - 42.0 ypg
2017 - 560

Last years bad passing offense in the 2nd half of the season killed all the passing stats. Before that he had pretty consistent recieving yardage. While those aren't eye popping numbers, if you think DC's don't game plan for him your very wrong.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well they also don’t see that Williams can’t catch with his hands to save his life. He catches every ball with his chest. It’s almost impossible for Dak to succeed with these receivers.

Why does it matter? Williams still had the best catch rate of any receiver on this team in 2017. so he isn't an acrobatic catcher, can't do what Dez used to do, but he's never been that guy ever. Williams is a solid receiver, runs decent routes, and has the highest catch rate not named jason witten on this team...and he is on a cheap deal. Should we look for better...yes but in addition to not instead of.

jay94

Reaction score
Your statement may be fair, but Wittens stats have pretty much gone down every year. I will only hate his contract at his age and not the player. He has been great for us.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing about him being a hall of famer suggests that he is playing like one now. He absolutely isn't, but is being paid like one.

His cap hit is half of what it was last year, if that makes any difference. So, he's taking a pay cut.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is like some IQ lowering crapp. It's amazing how so many people don't comprehend possession receivers and route running.

Did you know that if Witten catches a 3 yd pass on 3rd and 10 that he was running the route he was told to run, and that he was prolly the 4th option on that play?

I mean, this is just Football 101 stuff.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is like some IQ lowering crapp. It's amazing how so many people don't comprehend possession receivers and route running.

Did you know that if Witten catches a 3 yd pass on 3rd and 10 that he was running the route he was told to run, and that he was prolly the 4th option on that play?

I mean, this is just Football 101 stuff.

These are the guys who think there is some correlation between cap space and winning.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I happen to disagree with you. Chaz Green has been garbage since day 1.

In 2016 he filled in fine for both Smith and Free. Not saying he was an all pro but I did not see him disgracing himself like he did in 2017. He needs to get it together and play well the entire pre season or go sack groceries.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm with you on Green. In 2016 he filled in fine for both Smith and Free. Not saying he was an all pro but I did not see him disgracing himself like he did in 2017. He needs to get it together and play well the entire pre season or go sack groceries.
He only played in 4 games, starting 2. Way too small of a sample size to be the guy we depend on, esp since he's been injury prone his entire football career, including college.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
His cap hit is half of what it was last year, if that makes any difference. So, he's taking a pay cut.

His cap hit is bearable going forward, but he also has no dead money on his contract for cutting him or dare I say, trading him. He is more of a barrier to success than anything at this point. Certainly not worth 6.5 million dollars. Money that could get a marquee defensive player.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Been saying this for years. Our offense is stagnant with him. Gone are the days where he can get down field and move. Running a long distance without his helmet 10 years ago. He's a safety checkdown for Dak and Romo. They utilize him way too often. 2 yard outs. Once he catches the ball, he goes nowhere. Look at the 2 teams in the Super Bowl and the TE's they have. They can stretch the field big time. That would help this offense so much.

But we feel we owe him something so we stick with him even though he's as stale as they come.