TJ Watt

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
Just to build off my previous post in this thread, I would like to add a few more things:

1) Watt having an absolutely monster season last year was not "out of nowhere" or some sort of fluke. The hype was building for him before the season began because of the way he practiced and he was obviously a physical specimen. In fact, Watt was looking so good before the season that Justin Wilcox (the defensive coordinator last year) moved Jack Cichy, a very good OLB, to inside linebacker and gave TJ Watt his job outright. You don't do that unless you know Watt is a baller. To give a guy fresh to the OLB position that job outright says A LOT. Wilcox would go on to say during the season that Watt approaches the game like a pro, watching film after games instead of going out to celebrate.

2) In every game last season Watt made an impact. He did not disappear at any point during the season or put his stats up against bad programs. I thought he made a bigger impact in the LSU game than Leonard Fournette did. He was great against ohio state, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan state. You get my point. Watch a Wisconsin game from last season and you will see him blowing up his guy and making plays. He is going to bat down passes in the NFL like his brother too.

3) To me, the former knee injuries are not a concern. The guy has freakishly strong legs and obviously has a ridiculous vertical leap for his height. Watt did seem to have some neck stingers during the season though but he never missed serious time with it.

4) Watt practiced against NFL caliber linemen at Wisconsin. I think that matters. Wisconsin's Ryan Ramczyk is slotted as a first round tackle.

If you are looking at Watt as a GM what more could you ask for?
Film - Yes he flashed in every game and against the highest caliber opponents.
Athletic Ability - Yes, he stood out at the combine and has height, length and explosiveness.
Personality/Work Ethic - Yes his work ethic is above and beyond what is reasonable to expect

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No prospect is going to be clean at 28, especially if you are limiting it to two positions which we are apparently going to do. So the injuries and one year of production do not really factor into it in a big way for me. There are players like Malik Hooker who people would give up their eye teeth for that have just a year at a high level. I like parts of what he brings to the table. Better than some other rushers.

ksg811

Reaction score
I'll admit I've kind of been in opposition of Watt but am starting to turn my thinking around. The big thing that sticks out is the quick learning curve. Guy was recruited as a TE and made a pretty seamless transition to an edge rusher in just 2 years. That's an intelligent football player with a high work rate. That stands out to me more than anything on tape.

rambo2

Reaction score
Just to build off my previous post in this thread, I would like to add a few more things:

1) Watt having an absolutely monster season last year was not "out of nowhere" or some sort of fluke. The hype was building for him before the season began because of the way he practiced and he was obviously a physical specimen. In fact, Watt was looking so good before the season that Justin Wilcox (the defensive coordinator last year) moved Jack Cichy, a very good OLB, to inside linebacker and gave TJ Watt his job outright. You don't do that unless you know Watt is a baller. To give a guy fresh to the OLB position that job outright says A LOT. Wilcox would go on to say during the season that Watt approaches the game like a pro, watching film after games instead of going out to celebrate.

2) In every game last season Watt made an impact. He did not disappear at any point during the season or put his stats up against bad programs. I thought he made a bigger impact in the LSU game than Leonard Fournette did. He was great against ohio state, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan state. You get my point. Watch a Wisconsin game from last season and you will see him blowing up his guy and making plays. He is going to bat down passes in the NFL like his brother too.

3) To me, the former knee injuries are not a concern. The guy has freakishly strong legs and obviously has a ridiculous vertical leap for his height. Watt did seem to have some neck stingers during the season though but he never missed serious time with it.

4) Watt practiced against NFL caliber linemen at Wisconsin. I think that matters. Wisconsin's Ryan Ramczyk is slotted as a first round tackle.

If you are looking at Watt as a GM what more could you ask for?
Film - Yes he flashed in every game and against the highest caliber opponents.
Athletic Ability - Yes, he stood out at the combine and has height, length and explosiveness.
Personality/Work Ethic - Yes his work ethic is above and beyond what is reasonable to expect

I'm sold. I hope they pick him and I get the feeling that they will.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'll admit I've kind of been in opposition of Watt but am starting to turn my thinking around. The big thing that sticks out is the quick learning curve. Guy was recruited as a TE and made a pretty seamless transition to an edge rusher in just 2 years. That's an intelligent football player with a high work rate. That stands out to me more than anything on tape.

He really wasnt a focal point for wisconsin. Look at his videos from draftbreakdown.com and you will see when he's lined up over the T and used to go straight up in passrushing situations. The guy does absolutely nothing. Where it had success is when they used him as a secondary passrush. Those delayed blitzes from all over he has his success. He is a strong side OLB for a 3-4 team. The guy has no moves and doesnt use his hands to fight off OL. What he does and anybody that has watched any video of his can attest, he just leans into his guy and tries to over power. Which he loses most of the time. Would much rather have McKinley even injured if Dallas is going to tweener route. Would even rather have tim williams. Watt is very good against the run, but dallas has a defensive roster full of DEs who are good against the run. They need PASSRUSHERS.

rambo2

Reaction score
He suffered significant knee injuries to both knees in back to back seasons in 2014 and 2015.
Evidently, they fixed him very well. He had a monster year at his first year at the position. He could actually get better as he goes on.

ksg811

Reaction score
Evidently, they fixed him very well. He had a monster year at his first year at the position. He could actually get better as he goes on.

I don't disagree with that. But it's still a concern that he has two repaired knees at a position with so much impact. Leverage in the trenches is created from the legs up and you have to question if dual repaired knees can withstand that.

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. But it's still a concern that he has two repaired knees at a position with so much impact. Leverage in the trenches is created from the legs up and you have to question if dual repaired knees can withstand that.
To me he looks like he is well worth the risk at 28 or the low 30's. His upside fits the risk. He could very well give them the pass rusher that they need.