To everyone I've offended.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Oh lord .....

I hate when people write something sappy so all the heart bleeders will beg them to come back .....

And I hate it more when people fall for it .....

"T.O. is affecting my marriage" .......... give me a break .......

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes said:
Some of you might try practicing a bit of forgiveness. It's not often that someone shows enough courage and humility to admit they are wrong and apologize. The public lynching that appears to taking place in response reflects the exact opposite characteristics: it's both gutless and arrogant. Not sure what nathanlt has done to need forgiveness or to elicit this kind of response, but in this thread, at least, a number of you come off looking far worse by comparison.

:hammer:

Especially on a message board.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
I have always been a Cowboys fan.
I’ve come to realize that I had too much reverence for the days of Roger Staubach and Tom Landry, so that when Terrell Owens showboated on the star, I felt that he had spit in the face of the team that I loved. He had mocked the Dallas Cowboys stars I had in reality worshiped. That unhealthy reverence became twisted into a vicious hatred for him that followed wherever he went. Now that he is on the team, there is simply no joy any longer watching them. That’s what happens when you take the Dallas Cowboys too seriously.

The sad thing is, my wife and I had a big fight over whether or not the Cowboys would even be watched in our house. And that’s when I realized Terrell Owens is affecting more than just my favorite team. He was affecting my marriage, and I’m sure not going to let a grudge do that. A grudge is not more important than people, and I have offended many of you by saying you are not fans. One of these days I’m going to forgive him, but it’s going to take a while for me to actually mean it.

I sincerely apologize for the hurtful comments I made to people in here over the Cowboys and “real fans” I’m not going to make any more argument about it, and it’s doubtful that I’ll ever post again. I’m really embarrassed, and once again, I apologize to each and every one of you.

I need to post this now so that I can’t change my mind and slip back into a war over this topic.

I sure hope you did learn something from this. We as fans need to remember that football is only a game. And sometimes we take it way too far. It's sad to see some people talk about how much they hate a certain football player. For instance when Roethlisberger was in the Motorcycle accident, I imagine there were a number of fans from rival teams happy that he was in it, and we are talking about a near deat incident. How can fans encourage a fellow member when something horrible happens, but then hope the same to a rival team. I'm not accusing anybody of this, I'm just saying it happens, and its wrong.

As for the people saying that you need serious help, I'm not 100% sure I agree with them, although it may be the case. However, I don't think any of us on this board can claim innocence to having an obsession that we take too far. And sometimes these obsessions can hurt people around us. In reality, we all need serious help.

And as for your apology, while I was in no way offended, I do commend you for apologizing. That is if you truly mean it. There is something you can do beyond your apology however. If you continue to post, show in your posts that you meant what you said. I guarantee if you contributed to good wholesome Cowboys talk without any agenda or bashing of any kind, the members of this board will slowly forget what you did and reaccept you as a regular member. But that is your choice.

My personal advice though would be to spend some time away from the Cowboys and re-evaluate what is important to you. Especially your wife, she should easily and without a doubt be more important to you then the Cowboys.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have ripped on you some with the TO stuff.

But now I will just say this.

When a PLAYER, not a team, but a Player creates a rift between you and your wife.

You might need to go seek therapy. I am not saying that to be mean or as a joke. I am dead serious.

That situation is just not right.

It is one thing to argue with the wife because you want to watch the game but she wants to watch the life time movie channel or do something that takes you away from the game.

But to argue over ONE PLAYER.

Sorry but that is just insane behavior.

For your own health and your relationship with your wife, go get therapy or whatever you need to fix the situation.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
nathan, i'd say just move on man.

not from the board just from the whole incident.

if you want to protest to do so in some quiet fashion that doesnt require insulting other fans.

i am pretty sure to will gone in a couple of years and you can worry about whatever the next troublemaker is.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do people realize this is a "kid's game" for cris-sakes?

If they put this much effort into their families or their careers I think they would find their lives that much fuller.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Welcome back, and there's no need to apologize (except maybe to your wife).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
I’ve come to realize that I had too much reverence for the days of Roger Staubach and Tom Landry, so that when Terrell Owens showboated on the star, I felt that he had spit in the face of the team that I loved. He had mocked the Dallas Cowboys stars I had in reality worshiped. That unhealthy reverence became twisted into a vicious hatred for him that followed wherever he went. Now that he is on the team, there is simply no joy any longer watching them. That’s what happens when you take the Dallas Cowboys too seriously.
The problem really isn't your reverence of the past. It isn't even that you take the Cowboys too seriously. The problem is that you are someone who apparently can truly hate another person you've not even met. How can that be healthy Nate? Hate takes a lot of energy. Hate isn't easy. You have to feed hatred. You fed it. That isn't good.

nathanlt said:
The sad thing is, my wife and I had a big fight over whether or not the Cowboys would even be watched in our house. And that’s when I realized Terrell Owens is affecting more than just my favorite team. He was affecting my marriage, and I’m sure not going to let a grudge do that. A grudge is not more important than people, and I have offended many of you by saying you are not fans. One of these days I’m going to forgive him, but it’s going to take a while for me to actually mean it.
I guess I don't understand. How can you forgive him and not mean it? The rift with your wife is exactly what I meant by the what I said above. I'm assuming she is also a Cowboys fan. That could be wrong on my part. It really isn't important. But apparently what you have done is tell her what she can or can't do and how she has to feel about this. No different than any Dictator. Marriage isn't a dictatorship it's a partnership.

You'd actually allow hatred for someone else dictate your relationship with your wife? Over a touchdown celebration? Nate, remember when I told you this man owned you? That's exactly what I'm talking about right there.

You mentioned the names Staubach and Landry as those who TO offended. Be honest with me here. Do you think Roger Staubach hates TO? Do you think Tom Landry would refuse to forgive the man? Nate, I just don't see it. One of the foundations of the Christianity that they espoused is foregiveness.

nathanlt said:
I sincerely apologize for the hurtful comments I made to people in here over the Cowboys and “real fans” I’m not going to make any more argument about it, and it’s doubtful that I’ll ever post again. I’m really embarrassed, and once again, I apologize to each and every one of you.

I need to post this now so that I can’t change my mind and slip back into a war over this topic.
Once again I'll say that I don't think the "I'll never post again" approach is the right avenue to take. That's still a reactionary method and that is what led you down the wrong path to start with. You've apologized. I assume you would prefer to be forgiven. TO apologized by saying he was going to do whatever he can to return us to winning. He promised Jerry he wouldn't let him down. I assume he would like to be forgiven.

You don't have to like the man. You don't even have to root for him to do well; although I confess I don't understand that. If he does well it means the team I love benefits. I do think he need to let it go. If for no other reason than you haven't been rational about the whole deal. There's a reason for that. Hate is never rational. There's no such thing as well thought out hatred.

Just food for thought.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I’ve come to realize that I had too much reverence for the days of Roger Staubach and Tom Landry, so that when Terrell Owens showboated on the star, I felt that he had spit in the face of the team that I loved.
We in Dallas call this, Good Ol' Day Syndrome. Randy Galloway suffers from it and so does Dale Hansen.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Just have to realize this new generation has lowered the bar for standards by....oh half a mile or so. Its a new generation we are living in and they like show offs, gold, in your face, rap, guns and criminals more then honor and humility.

Its sad, but thems the facts of life. What we hold dear is trash to this new generation and what they hold dear is trash to us. But we can get along, just dont insult their poster child, el dorado.

gbrittain

Reaction score
nathanlt said:

If I can forgive TO, I can forgive you BRO.

I think what many are missing including you nathanlt is that this is a game! If the Cowboys won the next four Super Bowls, my life outside of football would not change one bit.

It is a game of entertainment and something to enjoy. Take it for what it is worth. Enjoy the things you like about the Cowboys and ignore the rest.

royhitshard

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have ripped on you some with the TO stuff.

But now I will just say this.

When a PLAYER, not a team, but a Player creates a rift between you and your wife.

You might need to go seek therapy. I am not saying that to be mean or as a joke. I am dead serious.

That situation is just not right.

It is one thing to argue with the wife because you want to watch the game but she wants to watch the life time movie channel or do something that takes you away from the game.

But to argue over ONE PLAYER.

Sorry but that is just insane behavior.

For your own health and your relationship with your wife, go get therapy or whatever you need to fix the situation.
:hammer:

gbrittain

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Just have to realize this new generation has lowered the bar for standards by....oh half a mile or so. Its a new generation we are living in and they like show offs, gold, in your face, rap, guns and criminals more then honor and humility.

Its sad, but thems the facts of life. What we hold dear is trash to this new generation and what they hold dear is trash to us. But we can get along, just dont insult their poster child, el dorado.

No offense, but that has nothing to do with what is going on here.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:

Oh look.

Another person who said he would quit posting.

The problem with both you and the terribly sensitive person that started this thread is that you have a very tough time separating the reality from the fantasy.

The tradition, the "star" all of those things, I can assure you that most professional football players (and yes, our beloved Dallas Cowboys) care less about that than the fans do.

Is that unfortunate? Yes.

It is unfortunate that the game has changed. It is also very unfortunate that it has changed right along with the society. This used to be a game that was played under a different set of rules. Money was not always a factor. But now, it is. And that needs to be understood.

And if one has a hard time understanding it, that's fine. But to hold today's athlete to the same set of standards once held is a fruitless waste of time. It is now a business, where before it was a sport. Grown men played games for half the year and then had to feed their family some other way in the offseason.

And as for Owens, I don't particular hold him in high esteem as a person. But again, this is a sport and I value this franchise. If the men that own it, coach it and actually sweat for it do not have an issue gambling on his talent, I won't judge. But to others who feel there is some sort of mythical standard that has to be adhered to is the ultimate form of hypocrite. The fact is, if you supported the Cowboys of the 1990s, you supported the same type of "thug" that you accuse Owens of being.

And if "honor" and "tradition" and "the star" is more important than winning, then be my guest, I hope 5-11 seasons are appealing to you because that is what you are going to receive.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
You didn't give up when Campo was here, so don't do it now. I have a feeling this is our year.

superpunk

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:

:damn:

^^^^^That goes for the OP, too.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes said:
Some of you might try practicing a bit of forgiveness. It's not often that someone shows enough courage and humility to admit they are wrong and apologize. The public lynching that appears to taking place in response reflects the exact opposite characteristics: it's both gutless and arrogant. Not sure what nathanlt has done to need forgiveness or to elicit this kind of response, but in this thread, at least, a number of you come off looking far worse by comparison.

How naive. Someone who claims to be a Cowboys fan is soliciting fellow fans to boycott their team and you expect a tame response? Please. Nate's been down this road before and he was well aware of the response he was going to get. He promised to stop posting until TO left but he hasn't so you'll forgive me if I find him less than credible. My strong impression is he's merely an attention seeking troll. As a result, I've put him on ignore. But I respect your right to buy his act if you so desire.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
How naive. Someone who claims to be a Cowboys fan is soliciting fellow fans to boycott their team and you expect a tame response? Please. Nate's been down this road before and he was well aware of the response he was going to get. He promised to stop posting until TO left but he hasn't so you'll forgive me if I find him less than credible. My strong impression is he's merely an attention seeking troll. As a result, I've put him on ignore. But I respect your right to buy his act if you so desire.

if Nathan is on ignore, how do you know he posted a forgiveness appeal? :D

silver

Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes said:
i agree. nathan, apology accepted.