Today's combine - DBs

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
CATCH17;1394013 said:
Wait till you guys start hearing about Kenny Phillips from Miami. That kid is the most physically gifted safety i've ever seen and he is going to be a top 10 to 5 pick when ever he comes out.

If Phillips were in this draft I think he'd be the 1st safety taken.

Phillips is definately a talent at 6'2" 205 running 4.4 but might go where the money is at CB. He had something like 3 interceptions in one game playing CB. Had a setback last year with the hand surgery....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;1393995 said:
I still think Nelson is going to be the better safety and would be the better fit for our team.

As good as Landry is Nelson was hands down the best safety in the country last year as a Jr.

Both will be good players but I think Nelson will be the guy on the highlight reels week in and week out making the big play.
No way.

CATCH17;1394013 said:
Wait till you guys start hearing about Kenny Phillips from Miami. That kid is the most physically gifted safety i've ever seen and he is going to be a top 10 to 5 pick when ever he comes out.

If Phillips were in this draft I think he'd be the 1st safety taken.
I've seen him and he is good. I still think Landry is better.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
looks like mcCauley made himself some money today. i dont think he'll be anything special but that 40 time is going to entice somebody in the 1st rd. just hope its not the cowboys 4.38 and 4.33 are very good times

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If Donte Whitner went #8 last year, no way Landry makes it to #22.

Some team in need of safety help would be smart to snap him up.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Avery;1394057 said:
If Donte Whitner went #8 last year, no way Landry makes it to #22.

Some team in need of safety help would be smart to snap him up.
Yeah, but everyone criticized the Bills for that. That was a huge reach. Not saying Landay won't go top 10 (I think he will), but Whitner's not a good comparison in terms of placement in the draft.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1394061 said:
Yeah, but everyone criticized the Bills for that. That was a huge reach. Not saying Landay won't go top 10 (I think he will), but Whitner's not a good comparison in terms of placement in the draft.

yeah it is, since if Whitner could go that high, Landry definitely will, San Fran should really take him rather than spending a boatload of money on Hamlin

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I'm not that high on Nelson myself. He isn't as quick as Landry, nor as good of measurables. Other than 6 int last year he hasn't done anything. I think Catch17 is just a Miami fan.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I actually like Nelson though at #22 I'm still a bit weary, depends on the board and if we can even trade down.

I still think Watkins is our starter and future, but I wouldn't bypass a talent like Landry.

The Realist

Reaction score
CATCH17;1394034 said:
Why? ..........

Major academic/intelligence red flags.

That's important to me at FS.

QB of the defense.

I'd take a Nelson if we had Woodson QB'ng the secondary.

Roy has his own problems finding his way around.

He needs a babysitter.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avery;1394085 said:
I actually like Nelson though at #22 I'm still a bit weary, depends on the board and if we can even trade down.

I still think Watkins is our starter and future, but I wouldn't bypass a talent like Landry.
This is exaclty how I feel. I am fine with Watkins unless Landry is there. If he isn't, fix another issue...OL, ILB, NT, WR.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;1394053 said:
No way.

I've seen him and he is good. I still think Landry is better.

Last year I dont think many people would argue with me that Nelson was far and away the best safety in the Nation.

Also Phillips is a True Sophomore and the sky is the limit for him. Defensive player of the year in Highschool, and Freshman All American his first year in College.

Heres a small scouting report.

CAREER: One of the top young players in all of college football...Was named to virtually every All-Freshman team in 2005...Had a stellar prep career in which he was the nation's top safety prospect and USA Today High School Defensive Player of the Year in 2004...Made an immediate impact as a freshman in the secondary, starting the final 11 games of the season...Was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week following his first collegiate start in Clemson's Death Valley (he ended that three-overtime game with an interception)...UM coaches say he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed."...Excellent player in run support...Physical big hitter and outstanding man-to-man cover defender...Ball hawk who has great range, speed, power and has a nose for the ball...Quick learner who has already developed into a team leader...Has a great understanding of defensive football to go with poise and confidence...Sports administration major.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;1394102 said:
Last year I dont think many people would argue with me that Nelson was far and away the best safety in the Nation.
LOL

I think a lot of people WOULD argue with you. Especially NFL types.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Here's a few notable times for some of the bigger names in the DB class...

Chris Houston - 4.32, 27 reps...Fastest 40 time so far. Highest amount of bench reps for the position.
LaRon Landry - 4.35
Reggie Nelson - 4.53
Aaron Ross - 4.47
Leon Hall - 4.39
Marcus McCauley - 4.38, 4.33...If he would've just played hard his Senior year.
Brandon Meriweather - 4.5
Sabby Piscitelli - 4.49, 4.44...This is one of my guys too. He's showing up. He's a beast physically. Best looking physique of all the DBs I've seen except for maybe Landry.
Eric Weddle - 4.51
Eric Wright - 4.38
Josh Wilson - 4.35
Kenny Scott - 4.43
John Wendling - 4.48
Jonathan Wade - 4.38
Daymeion Hughes - I didn't get an official 40 time for him, but he ran in the 4.7's according to Mayock. I saw him do his vertical too and it was around 20 inches. I will repeat what I've been saying about him. He's a cover 2 CB.
Marvin White - 4.54
Michael Griffin - 4.45
David Irons - 4.44

Unfortunately I only have seen the 2nd group run which means the NFL Network didn't air most of the first half of the DBs on television.

Darrelle Revis isn't working out...

Marcus McCauley just said in an interview that the reason he struggled this past season was because he was trying to do too much covering for his teammates in the secondary. Funny...I didn't know a player would be benched for that? There is game film of him running away from contact. He didn't do too much. He simply didn't do enough.

I didn't get to see any of the position drills for the 1st group of DBs which upsets me. I don't understand why the NFL Network can't start their live coverage just an hour earlier. From the way all of the commentators are talking, LaRon Landry, Leon Hall and Chris Houston were absolutely dueling with each other in every drill. All of them are talking about the three of them being the class of the 1st group.

Aaron Ross has been the most impressive player I've seen in position drills. He's got great quick hips. Eric Weddle is probably 2nd. His hips flip over very quickly.

Here are the official times of players who ran under a 4.4 today...

Chris Houston - 4.32
LaRon Landry - 4.35
Leon Hall - 4.39
Eric Wright - 4.36
Jonathan Wade - 4.36
Marcus McCauley - 4.39
Kenny Scott - 4.39
Josh Wilson - 4.39

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;1394109 said:
LOL

I think a lot of people WOULD argue with you. Especially NFL types.

I dont recall Landry even being a finalist for the Nations Top defensive back last year like Nelson was.

There was no other safety that had a year as good as Nelsons last year.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
i dont see all the hate for watkins. i think he's rowing into the posistion quite well. im guessing everybody expected him to be george teague from day i guess.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;1394128 said:
I dont recall Landry even being a finalist for the Nations Top defensive back last year like Nelson was.

There was no other safety that had a year as good as Nelsons last year.
Do your homework I guess. Don't know what else to tell you.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;1394137 said:
Do your homework I guess. Don't know what else to tell you.

Nelson was even 1st team All American. Landry was second team All American.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;1394148 said:
Nelson was even 1st team All American. Landry was second team All American.
Charles Woodson won the Heisman Trophy over Peyton Manning.

Whoop-dee-freaking-doo.