Twitter: Todd Archer: Cowboys need to change their thinking about contract extensions

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They need to double the salary cap so Jerry can have room to pay his players. It's a conspiracy.

In all serious though it is getting a bit out of hand. You drafted a good QB, you get to pay him about 60 million of the cap which is about 23%, you draft a good WR? that's another 12%, you draft one of the best defensive players like Parsons? Another 13%. That's nearly 50% of your salary cap on 3 players as your reward for drafting well.
We should be able every 4 or 5 years to draft a WR1. That’s almost like how RB have become.

I would never pay a WR or RB Market Price contracts in Cap era.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What are the possible benefits of waiting???
It's not waiting so much as setting a limit of what you are willing too pay and sticking to it. In any negotiation, being able to walk away from a deal is power.

Dak walking after next season because he wants top dollar, a short deal, and a no trade clause is a real possibility or at least it should be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just because a guy can build a house it does not follow that he can be a rocket scientist.

It's quite simply a very different skillset.
Yep

It’s truly amazing this dysfunctional ownership has been able to put together this good of team to be in playoffs.

And they’ve been able to hype it and provide hope to much of our fanbase

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What amazes me is Jerry is a brilliant businessman. Could sell sand in the desert. But when it comes to strategic cap management, he and his #1 son are clearly not good at strategic cap management that leads to playoff wins.
No, but they’ve been able to be pretty good at putting together a playoff team regardless however early it exits.

And enough stars to hype and promote hope with this level of success to much of our fanbase despite the frustration and disappointment.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Justin Jefferson came in the same draft as CD, didnt get his deal yet

Nick Bosa signed his deal after his 4th season

Dak just isnt worth the $60m him and France are asking for.

The FO is horrible but not handing out the extensions isnt something to fret over

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not waiting so much as setting a limit of what you are willing too pay and sticking to it. In any negotiation, being able to walk away from a deal is power.

Dak walking after next season because he wants top dollar, a short deal, and a no trade clause is a real possibility or at least it should be.
It should be but I suspect it won’t be for this owner. He’s much too comfortable and it’s much easier hyping and promoting his iconic brand with a team that’s contending for the playoffs than one rebuilding.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
The Jones boys think contracts are a negotiation. In the NFL they aren’t, they are simply the cost of doing business. The sooner you get your business done the less you pay. So the trick is knowing what players you want to keep ahead of time and planning accordingly financially. That requires vision and foresight, something this front office lacks.

I think they are fine at the nuts and bolts of roster building. They draft well, when they bargain hunt they have actually picked up good roster pieces, they have made some solid low cost trades, and their one higher cost trade for Amari have all worked out. That’s why they win a lot of games… But to get over the hump, to be able to pivot when things don’t work out well… they don’t have that dexterity and they don’t plan ahead properly. They are always a day late and a dollar short to join the truly elite teams.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Do the Jones’ ever learn their lesson? Absolutely not. If there’s a wrong way to do something, I guaran-damn-tee you the Jones’ are doing it that way.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Do the Jones’ ever learn their lesson? Absolutely not. If there’s a wrong way to do something, I guaran-damn-tee you the Jones’ are doing it that way.
You rather them have given Dak another contract extension upwards of $55m+ after only 2 playoff victories???

Chasing6

Reaction score

Not concerned about Dak. That will work out or he will be a free agent.

What are they doing with CD seems to be a problem?

If they want him to play on his 5th year option then they should have said that a long time ago.

Signing CD to a long term deal without knowing who your QB will be in 2025 seems problematic as well.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Jones boys think contracts are a negotiation. In the NFL they aren’t, they are simply the cost of doing business. The sooner you get your business done the less you pay. So the trick is knowing what players you want to keep ahead of time and planning accordingly financially. That requires vision and foresight, something this front office lacks.

I think they are fine at the nuts and bolts of roster building. They draft well, when they bargain hunt they have actually picked up good roster pieces, they have made some solid low cost trades, and their one higher cost trade for Amari have all worked out. That’s why they win a lot of games… But to get over the hump, to be able to pivot when things don’t work out well… they don’t have that dexterity and they don’t plan ahead properly. They are always a day late and a dollar short to join the truly elite teams.
It seems like they are still deciding on whether to rebuild altogether or what to do next.

Chasing6

Reaction score

If you are not in the act of negotiating, then you are waiting.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
You rather them have given Dak another contract extension upwards of $55m+ after only 2 playoff victories???
They would be stupid not to because he would get more than that with his resume on the open market. And Trey Lance will never start in Dallas. They need to sign Dak and draft a legitimate replacement in the later half of the first round. Front load the contract and cut Dak after 3 seasons then the new QB takes over. It would be stupid to rehash all of this next year and pay him more.

75boyz

Reaction score
Overall,
it's like the waiting or delay plays right into Jerry's marketing and commercial strategy. I mean, just as soon as the ink dries on Lambs, Parsons and Dak's contracts show the average/casual fan that "Hey, if the Cowboys signed this guy for this much, then he must be good."

Hook line and sinker sales tactic if ya ask me.
Sales is one thing Jerry is really good at.
Even when the product he's selling is sub par.
And he's been doing it this way for a long time now.

jmo

Chasing6

Reaction score
Overall,
it's like the waiting or delay plays right into Jerry's marketing and commercial strategy. I mean, just as soon as the ink dries on Lambs, Parsons and Dak's contracts show the average/casual fan that "Hey, if the Cowboys signed this guy for this much, then he must be good."

Hook line and sinker sales tactic if ya ask me.
Sales is one thing Jerry is really good at.
Even when the product he's selling is sub par.
And he's been doing it this way for a long time now.

jmo
Not really, because when GM Jethro signed the trade for Trance, I knew immediately it was a stupid decision.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not concerned about Dak. That will work out or he will be a free agent.

What are they doing with CD seems to be a problem?

If they want him to play on his 5th year option then they should have said that a long time ago.

Signing CD to a long term deal without knowing who your QB will be in 2025 seems problematic as well.
All I see is you do not deal it ambiguity well and can only see bad things happening as a result.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
They do it the way they do it because they know we will blame the players for them not building a complete roster to be able to compete at a level higher than first round playoffs. They’re in a no lose situation