Twitter: Todd Archer: Cowboys need to change their thinking about contract extensions

Brax

Reaction score
Lots of Jerry bashing in this thread and rightly so. Let’s look back at the team though since Dak came on board.

Jerry and Co built a pretty damn nice roster during Dak’s tenure. He had a top 5 offensive line for a lot of his early tenure.

The defense has been pretty solid and opportunistic the last few years. So I wil ask this:

If we had a QB that provided top 5 level QB play (which was commensurate with top 5 QB money paid) should we have won a SB? I would argue PROBABLY SO.

It’s not ALL on Jerry and Co.
Bingo

Brax

Reaction score
And as stated earlier, indecision is deadly to an off-season roster retool. In an extremely competitive NFL, waiting is losing.
So how do you know there isn’t a plan. Say what ever you want Dak had talent around him with good defensive a few years so it’s a question of is Dak the guy and I think that’s the problem at this point and hopefully Jerry lets it play out and resets next year and hopefully that’s the plan, a good one if it’s show us success or MM and Dak can take a hike together and personally CDL would be traded before camp

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So how do you know there isn’t a plan. Say what ever you want Dak had talent around him with good defensive a few years so it’s a question of is Dak the guy and I think that’s the problem at this point and hopefully Jerry lets it play out and resets next year and hopefully that’s the plan, a good one if it’s show us success or MM and Dak can take a hike together and personally CDL would be traded before camp
Ok…here’s what we know:
  • We know they aren’t doing anything of substance in free agency, and they could have with some work.
  • We know they could have made several big moves to clear up lots of cap space for free agency. They did a few moves but not nearly as many as they could have.
  • We know they had interest from former Titans RB Derrick Henry and made no effort to contact him. (I was not for signing him but he was there for the taking)
  • We know they appear to be very slow to resign Cedee Lamb and appear slow to do anything about Dak’s deal if they intend to keep him. I prefer working a trade. Maybe they will.
You‘re right about this- we don’t know there isn’t a plan. But it appears 31 other NFL teams have a clear plan based on the actions they have taken.

Surely we fans are not somehow expected to “trust” this front office? They have shown us they cannot be trusted to get a team on the field capable of going deep in the playoffs. They have made that crystal clear.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ok…here’s what we know:
  • We know they aren’t doing anything of substance in free agency, and they could have with some work.
  • We know they could have made several big moves to clear up lots of cap space for free agency. They did a few moves but not nearly as many as they could have.
  • We know they had interest from former Titans RB Derrick Henry and made no effort to contact him. (I was not for signing him but he was there for the taking)
  • We know they appear to be very slow to resign Cedee Lamb and appear slow to do anything about Dak’s deal if they intend to keep him. I prefer working a trade. Maybe they will.
You‘re right about this- we don’t know there isn’t a plan. But it appears 31 other NFL teams have a clear plan based on the actions they have taken.

Surely we fans are not somehow expected to “trust” this front office? They have shown us they cannot be trusted to get a team on the field capable of going deep in the playoffs. They have made that crystal clear.
Their plan, is to not have a plan. Doing nothing is their plan. Talking about what they would like to do, while actually doing nothing, is their plan.

Our priorities are to resign Dak, CD and Micah. However, we have decided to not start negotiations with any of them.

Maybe they are waiting for Dak, CD and Micah to reach out to them first.

Dak will happily play out this year and be a FA. GM Jethro will get his 3rd comp pick.

CD will plan to sit out once the season starts.

Micah will pay close attention to see how the FO works and take notes.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and probably Dak

Lol

Sign CeeDee, trade Parsons, cut Dak.
Either Lance is the guy or you have the ammo to get the #1 QB in 2025

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Their plan, is to not have a plan. Doing nothing is their plan. Talking about what they would like to do, while actually doing nothing, is their plan.

Our priorities are to resign Dak, CD and Micah. However, we have decided to not start negotiations with any of them.

Dak will happily play out this year and be a FA. GM Jethro will get his 3rd comp pick.

Agree that it's Crisis Management (to stop the player hitting the market)..... but I would disagree that there's 'no plan'. The 'plan' is to pay at the last minute, as they cant/wont/unable to, evaluate their own players and it's easier/lazier, just to let contracts come upto conclusion and extend.

I still stick to this idea that the 'plan', was for 2023 to be an improvement and get closer to the 9ers and then go ALL-IN around a Dak extension.....that 'plan' fell apart as it played out in the GB game, where the stark realization was shown that we werent/arent close to an ALL-IN team.

All-In only works when you're looking at final pieces, not as a way to build a team.

Jerry/Stephen, (IMO), you've done the right thing by the apparent 2024 'soft' reset, now finish it off by passing the keys to the Franchise to a professional GM to rebuild (in which ever way he see's fit).

Flamma

Reaction score
Simple truth in the modern NFL cap era: Waiting is losing. Be decisive or be prepared to fail.
It's worse than just paying more. Had they paid Lamb after his 3rd year, it would have been 23-25M. If they gave him a 4 year 100M contract, they would have had 6 years to spread out 122M. No need for void years. If they wait until next year, it will be 4 years to spread out 120M. They'll probably add void years.

BTW, the extra 22M that I added was what he makes in year 4 and 5.

Right now Parsons is set to make 26 million over the next two years. If they give him a 4 year extension now, they'll have 6 years to spread out his extension plus 26M. No void years needed. If you want an example of this, look at Trevon Digg's contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agree that it's Crisis Management (to stop the player hitting the market)..... but I would disagree that there's 'no plan'. The 'plan' is to pay at the last minute, as they cant/wont/unable to, evaluate their own players and it's easier/lazier, just to let contracts come upto conclusion and extend.

I still stick to this idea that the 'plan', was for 2023 to be an improvement and get closer to the 9ers and then go ALL-IN around a Dak extension.....that 'plan' fell apart as it played out in the GB game, where the stark realization was shown that we werent/arent close to an ALL-IN team.

All-In only works when you're looking at final pieces, not as a way to build a team.

Jerry/Stephen, (IMO), you've done the right thing by the apparent 2024 'soft' reset, now finish it off by passing the keys to the Franchise to a professional GM to rebuild (in which ever way he see's fit).
I don't see it that way at all. You have to believe GM Jerry added Trance for a reason. It on ether makes any logical sense so far.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't see it that way at all. You have to believe GM Jerry added Trance for a reason. It on ether makes any logical sense so far.
I thought it was obvious, that Lance was the in house option that brought Dak to the table.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Is he? Or did he just get lucky with oil speculation, and then successfully marketed the biggest name in sports in the US, which was the case before he bought the team. The team maintained that notoriety thanks to the success of Jimmy’s teams and then they reminded relevant thanks to the internet and the accessibility of modern media.
It's the Cowboys fans that made this team so valuable. In a fair and just world Jerry would be paying us a dividend.

Instead, Jerry wins life's lottery and that makes him think he is just naturally good at any given thing.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The Ticket did, and Jerry took his ball and went to 105.3 The Fan.
Yep, but has Stephen got the gravitas of his father? At least Jerry was the builder of dreams and was still living of the golden years.
Stephen's achieved nothing and doesn't appear to have the personality or commercial acumen to 'play' the media.
The media may give him a 'pass' whilst Jerry's still alive, but the nepotistic knives will be out, especially as the fanbase are already digging out the pitchforks.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because there never is.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yup.

nobody

Reaction score
I disagree. It makes clear that a player like Lamb, who led the league in receptions last year is not going to go down in value. The market has already been set. DaVante Adams got $28 mil year last year so there is no way Lamb will get even that- he will get more.

It makes zero sense to not sign a guy you want long term unless you just don’t want to pay a WR that much. Btw, I’m not that big on paying any WR that much but Jerry loves his WRs so I will be shocked if he doesn’t sign Lamb. But waiting means it will cost more.
It makes absolute sense from a different perspective....protecting Dak and having a scapegoat for him.