Twitter: Todd Archer: Cowboys need to change their thinking about contract extensions

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It may also depend on who your QB is going to be.

Finally they aren’t so transparent about the actual plan, which is a good thing, but I doubt it’s part of the strategy as much as it’s they have no clue what to do.

This period of time should have been a planned rebooting after being much more aggressive in acquiring players over the last few seasons.

The fact that three 12 win seasons amounted to very little playoff success makes fans want and expect to continue to try to get better and win now, but the timing of contracts, failure of too many draft picks, etc have left them in a tough spot.

Guessing they are going to try to half-*** it and claim to be competing while sort of doing a rebuild, which will leave us to continue to wallow between being bad enough to get better and good enough to win it all.
I think a lot of mind's were changed about Prescott after he crapped the bed vs GB.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's a joke here. They would resign and overpay every single one of their own players and completely disregard FA if they could. Just ridiculous!

NumOneQB

Reaction score
How about trade him and now waste anymore time or money on him?

They screwed up not paying him earlier after his rookie contract but i dont blame them this time. At least back then you could argue hes still a young player and had won the division twice with a playoff win.

How about trade him and now waste anymore time or money on him?

They screwed up not paying him earlier after his rookie contract but i dont blame them this time. At least back then you could argue hes still a young player and had won the division twice with a playoff win.
You don’t get anywhere close to the value for him in any trade. Teams with picks 1-5 in ‘24 aren’t trading for Dak. There is no rookie QB slated later in the first or after worth drafting as a replacement now. Sign him now and draft a replacement in the first round next year. Cut Dak after 3 years. If you don’t sign him now, they stumble into a few playoff wins in ‘24 then what happens? You’re right back here looking at $75 million a year. This is exactly what happened when his rookie deal expired. If they continue to underperform you at least have a young QB developing and ready take over after developing for 2 seasons.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Trade him for what? You aren’t going to get anything close to value for him.

You don’t get anywhere close to the value for him in any trade. Teams with picks 1-5 in ‘24 aren’t trading for Dak. There is no rookie QB slated later in the first or after worth drafting as a replacement now. Sign him now and draft a replacement in the first round next year. Cut Dak after 3 years. If you don’t sign him now, they stumble into a few playoff wins in ‘24 then what happens? You’re right back here looking at $75 million a year. This is exactly what happened when his rookie deal expired. If they continue to underperform you at least have a young QB developing and ready take over after developing for 2 seasons.
What is his value at this time under the current circumstances? I’m considering his no trade clause and potential salary demands and the fact the draft is less than two weeks away. What, with this in mind, is his value and whatever you say that value is, why isn’t he just as valuable to the Cowboys?

NumOneQB

Reaction score
What is his value at this time under the current circumstances? I’m considering his no trade clause and potential salary demands and the fact the draft is less than two weeks away. What, with this in mind, is his value and whatever you say that value is, why isn’t he just as valuable to the Cowboys?
That’s what I’m insinuating. His value is too great to the Cowboys at this point. Unless you get a top 5 pick you’re giving him away. Every move the last 5 years has been done for Dak - coaching changes, offensive changes, player personnel moves, it’s all done with him in mind. They have to resign him.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That’s what I’m insinuating. His value is too great to the Cowboys at this point. Unless you get a top 5 pick you’re giving him away. Every move the last 5 years has been done for Dak - coaching changes, offensive changes, player personnel moves, it’s all done with him in mind. They have to resign him.
So he’s worth no less than a top five pick in this draft? If he’s that valuable, perhaps the Cowboys should keep him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Lots of Jerry bashing in this thread and rightly so. Let’s look back at the team though since Dak came on board.

Jerry and Co built a pretty damn nice roster during Dak’s tenure. He had a top 5 offensive line for a lot of his early tenure.

The defense has been pretty solid and opportunistic the last few years. So I wil ask this:

If we had a QB that provided top 5 level QB play (which was commensurate with top 5 QB money paid) should we have won a SB? I would argue PROBABLY SO.

It’s not ALL on Jerry and Co.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Simple truth in the modern NFL cap era: Waiting is losing. Be decisive or be prepared to fail.
I've been saying this all offseason and I agree. A decision on Dak, Lamb and Parsons should've been made before now. Why would you wait to pay them if you want them? It just makes no logical sense. Never has.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In general terms, the Cowboys under Jerry Jones are not a learning organization... they don't typically apply learnings from the past to improve future performance.

Bringing any GM worth his salt would be an exercise in futility. I doubt they would enjoy the sort of authority and autonomy with the Cowboys that you might expect from other teams.

Many on this site, including me, have argued for a professional GM. I no longer think that is a true solution. The only way to affect lasting and meaningful change is for the Jones's to back completely out of the Cowboy's organization.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lots of Jerry bashing in this thread and rightly so. Let’s look back at the team though since Dak came on board.

Jerry and Co built a pretty damn nice roster during Dak’s tenure. He had a top 5 offensive line for a lot of his early tenure.

The defense has been pretty solid and opportunistic the last few years. So I wil ask this:

If we had a QB that provided top 5 level QB play (which was commensurate with top 5 QB money paid) should we have won a SB? I would argue PROBABLY SO.

This makes no sense. So its too much Jerry bashing but in the same breath complain about the quarterback who Jerry has re-signed lol.

There's a lot of issues with Jerry......

He's the one who refused to Garrett go.
He's the one who hired Garrett.
He's neglected the trenches of the defense. The interior specifically.
He refused to draft a safety for years.

You can go on and on.

The problem with Jerry is there was a blueprint on how to win a SB. Not saying that if you follow it will work but every champion for the most part has been consistent. Whether the QB was Peyton Manning or Joe Flacco or Eli Manning or Tom Brady or Matthew Stafford.....you can't ignore linebacker and interior defensive line and think you have a shot at winning a championship. Its foolish. Then he overly invests in offensive line and doesn't commit that same effort into defensive line. No one tries to win this way but Jerry.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Dak was a top 5 QB in the regular season, pretty much just like D. Problem is they both were top 8 in the playoffs.