Twitter: Todd Archer: Cowboys need to change their thinking about contract extensions

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
They would be stupid not to because he would get more than that with his resume on the open market. And Trey Lance will never start in Dallas. They need to sign Dak and draft a legitimate replacement in the later half of the first round. Front load the contract and cut Dak after 3 seasons then the new QB takes over. It would be stupid to rehash all of this next year and pay him more.
How about trade him and now waste anymore time or money on him?

They screwed up not paying him earlier after his rookie contract but i dont blame them this time. At least back then you could argue hes still a young player and had won the division twice with a playoff win.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems like they are still deciding on whether to rebuild altogether or what to do next.
Which is exactly what a good front office should never do. You should go into the off-season with a well thought plan and execute it. Failure to plan is planning to fail.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's Stephen running the show, and the results aren't the best.

They drag on most players, until they hold out or hit free agency(Cooper), and the player still gets what they wanted.
It’s easy to sit here and throw hay makers from the couch at SJ. But the cold hard fact is that SJ is the best dam chemical engineer running a football team in the NFL.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score

As new contracts for Lamb, Parsons and probably Dak lay ahead, this front office never seems to learn from their past mistakes. Delaying signing guys like Lamb and Parsons costs more in the long run. Unless you plan on trading them for picks, which we all know they don’t.

Their inaction with these players is just stupid. In the modern cap era, waiting and doing nothing is almost always a stupid move.

If the Cowboys don’t want to pay Cedee Lamb what he deserves, and that will be - at minimum - $30 mil a year right now, then trade him while his value is high. He isn’t going to get cheaper. Same with Parsons. He’s going to get more expensive, not less. Waiting is losing. With Dak, they waited two years in signing him, then caved for more money than they would have paid originally.

This is not “3 dimensional chess”. This is cap stupidity. Over and over.

Agree 100%. Only thing I would add is STOP with the “we like our guys” mindset when it comes to guys who are coming off injuries. That doesn’t get you a discount, it gets you into trouble, and more dead cap when you have to finally release them. (Gallup & J. Smith contacts for example). Not saying throw them away, but don’t back up the Brinks truck either. Offer one year prove it deals to make sure they are rehabbed. If they won’t agree, let them test free agency.

khiladi

Reaction score
They didn’t need to cave with Dak, when he had 7 TOs in 5 games and 1 win, coming off a broken leg…. And he accomplished nothing

Lamb and Parsons are different..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Look at the mess they have after giving Dak all that $$$$.

Their salary cap is jacked.

No.

Go slow.

Use the 5th year option.

Then tag + tag

StuckMojo

Reaction score
JJ and SJ need to concentrate on the marketing of the team and getting events at Jerry World but hire a President of football operations and a GM

ArtClink

Reaction score
In Jerry we trust - Remember most fans only care about being the most profitable franchise. Sure it would be nice to make a deep playoff run once in a while, but there's nothing better than to see those Forbes numbers on what the franchise is worth! Jerry has done an amazing job on being the most profitable, which again is all most fans care about.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In Jerry we trust - Remember most fans only care about being the most profitable franchise. Sure it would be nice to make a deep playoff run once in a while, but there's nothing better than to see those Forbes numbers on what the franchise is worth! Jerry has done an amazing job on being the most profitable, which again is all most fans care about.
I disagree because as Jerry says, the most important thing is that we have continuity at the GM position, right?
LOL! :laugh: Where would this team be without the “continuity at the GM position”?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need to sign Dak and draft a legitimate replacement in the later half of the first round.
The Cowboys might be in a better position to draft a QB next year. They could get a better QB than what they could get this year at 24.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't get the delay either. I understand the hesitation in paying CeeDee $30 million. One might think, "hey, we were paying Amari Cooper only $20 million and we hated that!" And I get it. Could a $20 million receiver coupled with another $10 million receiver be better than CeeDee and Jalen Tolbert?

But the problem is, they are not going to sign a $20 million receiver. And even if they were then make the decision and move on from CeeDee. Trade him and replace him. It's the paralysis we see this year that has everyone scratching their heads.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't get the delay either. I understand the hesitation in paying CeeDee $30 million. One might think, "hey, we were paying Amari Cooper only $20 million and we hated that!" And I get it. Could a $20 million receiver coupled with another $10 million receiver be better than CeeDee and Jalen Tolbert?

But the problem is, they are not going to sign a $20 million receiver. And even if they were then make the decision and move on from CeeDee. Trade him and replace him. It's the paralysis we see this year that has everyone scratching their heads.
It may also depend on who your QB is going to be.

Finally they aren’t so transparent about the actual plan, which is a good thing, but I doubt it’s part of the strategy as much as it’s they have no clue what to do.

This period of time should have been a planned rebooting after being much more aggressive in acquiring players over the last few seasons.

The fact that three 12 win seasons amounted to very little playoff success makes fans want and expect to continue to try to get better and win now, but the timing of contracts, failure of too many draft picks, etc have left them in a tough spot.

Guessing they are going to try to half-*** it and claim to be competing while sort of doing a rebuild, which will leave us to continue to wallow between being bad enough to get better and good enough to win it all.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

As new contracts for Lamb, Parsons and probably Dak lay ahead, this front office never seems to learn from their past mistakes. Delaying signing guys like Lamb and Parsons costs more in the long run. Unless you plan on trading them for picks, which we all know they don’t.

Their inaction with these players is just stupid. In the modern cap era, waiting and doing nothing is almost always a stupid move.

If the Cowboys don’t want to pay Cedee Lamb what he deserves, and that will be - at minimum - $30 mil a year right now, then trade him while his value is high. He isn’t going to get cheaper. Same with Parsons. He’s going to get more expensive, not less. Waiting is losing. With Dak, they waited two years in signing him, then caved for more money than they would have paid originally.

This is not “3 dimensional chess”. This is cap stupidity. Over and over.

IM Jerry,

Hey uh, Mr. Agent, why dont we do a 4 year 120 million dolar deal with a 60 million guarantee/signing bonus for Mr. Lamb?

Mr. Agent, Hey Jerry, my guy isnt quite ready to sign a deal (agent whispers to Lamb in the background... hey CeeDee, I am also working on Jeffersons deal, and I may be able to get more from the Vikings than what Jerry is offering... so lets just wait another few months

Cowboy users on the Fan Forum: Damn the front office of the Cowboys are a bunch of morons... always waiting and waiting and waiting.

You think it might be in Dak's best interest to not sign a deal with Dallas? Why would he sign now when QB deals go up SIGNIFICANTLY every year.

You think Parsons is sweating any deal, or he waits another year and gets 4 more million per?